FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a stupid question or already been discussed, if so please direct me to the proper forum thread. I have been watching clips online of PS90's being fired, and been doing some minor reading up on them. Now I do not know a great deal about guns, im just starting to get into them.

My question is are all the barrel's for the PS90 when you buy them a long barrel. Alot of you have watched SG1 and seen the P90's on there, and of course im a fan of the show and I live with a army LT so we both have been debating about looking into getting one for each other. We both like the short barrel that is in the show on the P90. But when I looked on http://www.gunbroker.com/ and looked for PS90's, they all seem to have a longer barrel. Is there a specific barrel length this gun has to be ordered in, or am I just looking a website that specifically just has longer versions of the one I want?

Also does anyone have any great bookmarks or favorites of websites that sell them for decent prices and have the short barrel PS90 in black? I have searched Google and havent come up with alot of sites who are selling this specific gun, or I must not be putting in the right keywords, I dont know.

Again if this info is in another thread, would be much appreciated to have it posted here. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well the more i research the more i found info about the short barrel question. can anyone answer the other question about where to look at getting one for a good price?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorcereryk said:
well the more i research the more i found info about the short barrel question. can anyone answer the other question about where to look at getting one for a good price?
Tanner's.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
You stated that you figured it out - but just in case....

The P90 is what is on Stargate - it is a military/police weapon with a short barrel and is fully auto. To be sold to civilians, however, the company had to release a civilian friendly version - meaning a semi-auto gun, and the barrel must be at least 16 inches. And, the gun must be at least 26 inches.

For a $200 fee, one can fill out the paperwork for the ATF and request permission to install a small barrel on a current PS90. If you do this, you are looking at about a $500 total for the ATF fee and the parts for the conversion if you do it yourself, or $600 if you have CMMG do the conversion for you. Since one must also engrave the receiver with special information - and the certain gunsmiths who do the engraving charge $50-$100 for this, it's easier to just pay the extra $100 and have CMMG do it all for you, in my opinion.

Recently, I noticed that CMMG is selling a version of the PS90 with the short barrel already installed. If you begin by doing the paperwork first, then you could start out by just getting what you want to begin with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.cmmginc.com/ is that the website to the cmmg you referred to? I see the PS90 with the long barrel on this website but not the short barrel, or is it one that needs to have a email sent with a request for the short barrel? So let me understand this correctly. $1600 for the PS90 itself, then another $600 added to it to have the process of getting the short barrel installed on it? And the pic on cmmg looked like it was the green one, do they carry it in the black as well?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, U can buy the PS90 cheaper someplace else than CMMG. But yea - whatever U buy the gun for, you add $500 to the price to short barrel it, or $600 if U want them to do it (it's $80 for a smith in Houston to engrave the things, so why not just pay the $100 and have them do it all).

But, go here: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=637271&cat=46&

The VERY first item is the short barrelled PS90 for $1995.00

They sell the standard black model for $1599 - but U can find it for $100 cheaper if U look around. I got mine at a gunshow in Dec for $1499 in black.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope you realize that if you buy a PS90 with the short barrel, you are buying a National Firearm Act (NFA) registered gun that is subject to a whole bunch of additional laws and regulations (simelar to a machinegun). ie you can't travel with it outside of the state with out prior informing the BATF, and you can't sell it directly to someone else without filing additional paperwork. Please do some research on this. It might not be worth all the trouble to chop off 4 inches...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes, this is true - but even if U buy a regular one and change the barrel yourself, you have the same requirements as well.

If you really want the short barrel and are prepared to do the paperwork, it might just be simpler to buy one already shortened once U complete the paperwork.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Yes, this is true - but even if U buy a regular one and change the barrel yourself, you have the same requirements as well.

If you really want the short barrel and are prepared to do the paperwork, it might just be simpler to buy one already shortened once U complete the paperwork.
Totally agree! Also, you won't have to put your name on the gun, CMMG will put on thiers (higher resale value).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts