FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my PS90, yet to shoot it. I was playing around trying to get used to the gun and noticed the barrel seemed loose. You can turn it slightly in both directions. I have only seen one 90, is this normal? Going back to gun shop to ask them too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is perfectly normal. I have a PS90 and it is the same. I think it has been mentioned in at least five different threads on the fivesevenforum website. I believe this allows the barrel and chamber to move back with the bolt a little, maybe 1/32 of an inch. This allows the pressure to drop a bit before the case begins to be extracted.

Since the barrel floats it is important to not have anything other than the attachment of a 3 point sling touching the barrel. Don't rest the rifle on the barrel when shooting from a bench.

Other normalities:

1. The stock sight is terrible under certain conditions.

2. The finish on the receiver isn't so hot: rough looking casting and paint.

3. The paint on the receiver where the magazine rubs on it will come off.

4. The upper portion of the stock just behind the magazine will look kind of rough and the halves may not join straight. Mine is like this and I posted a picture on the fivesevenforum. The folks there said it was normal.

I guess the rough finish is because this is a combat weapon, not a safe queen. The sight? I can fathom why they don't change the sight. I got a 2x Compact ACOG because it will mount low with a custom mount. I don't have the mount yet.

The rifle is fun :D That's the most important thing.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I have one on hold which I hope to get tomorrow, if all goes well. I went ahead and got an Eotech for mine. I'm just waiting on the mounting rails to come in...

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
I would not even attach the sling. Since we have longer barrels than the P90, ANY tention on the sling is going to torque the barrel inside the receiver and cause adverse effects in wear inside the aluminum receiver and accuracy.

For best results, do not attach or clamp ANYTHING on the barrel. This will yeald better accuracy and better longevity of your receiver.

Also, I would put a drop of synthetic oil inside the front bushing and the rear bushing - once again - to lubricate the barrel inside the receiver - as the barrel moves back and forth inside the receiver.

The more you use the weapon - the more innacurate it will become as a matter of barrel abrasion inside the aluminum receiver.

This is why I'm devising a teflon bushing system that can be replaced after a number of thousands of rounds.

Cheers,

-TH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you told me about not doing the sling on the barrel. I was sure eyeing a way to rig up a old Blackhawk sling I had. I agree that the OEM sight is pretty lame. If you could just some how boost the output of the retical it would then be usable.

I have yet to shoot the gun, but in playing around in the house (at work too :)) I noticed you have to lay your head in a perfect line in order to see that thing.

Kinda sad considering the price! But who cares you only live once.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm leaning against using the barrel attachment of the 3 point sling. Putting it on and taking it off the 16" barrel is kind of a pain and it must affect accuracy, if just a little. I may try to replace the barrel attachment with a picatinny sling mount. I like how the 3 point keeps the rifle horizontal, pretty much always at the ready, and it looks like a good sling to use when sitting. You can point the barrel down for safety, but not straight down like with a single point sling.

Who makes a sling or attachment that uses the rear receiver slot?! I haven't seen a sling for sale that uses it. If FN doesn't offer a sling using the slot they should just get rid of it so we can lower sight attachments some more. It'd be nice to mount an Eotech where you didn't get a nosebleed.

I'm going to have to try a single point sling. I'm probably going to order this one:

http://www.uertslings.com/PS90_P90_PSX_SLING.html

Therm, I look forward to seeing your barrel bushing. It will be nice to see some accurizing parts come out for the PS90.

str8stroke, where do you work? :shock:

m1p90 on the fivesevenforum is working on an illuminator for the stock sight. I played with illuminating the sight. My conclusion is don't waste any money on the stock sight. It has to go. The rifle should at least come with the USSS sight or should have been introduced as the tri-rail to begin with. I don't think I'd like the USSS sight either. The circle dot reticle looks the same as on the stock sight. To me the circle dot got in the way of seeing smaller targets. $600 seems a bit much for the USSS sight too. I figured I'd spend a bit more and get a Compact ACOG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looked at that sling in your link. I like it, however I had a single point before on a AR and it was kinda goofy to work. That one looks simular. You might find that it lets the gun flop around if you are moving alot? Not sure though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ShipWreck, I didn't mean the slot at the back of the stock. I meant the slot at the back of the receiver, just behind the sight. I've seen pictures of P90's with slings using that slot, but I haven't got a clue where you get them.

str8stroke, thanks for the input. I don't want a goofy sling :wink:

ShipWreck, be sure to give us a review once you get your UERT sling.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
UERT is working on a 2 piece sling right now. The 2nd attachment actually goes around the receiver - right behind where the mag goes into the receiver. He claims it is thin enough to not interfere with the mag.

The only neg thing I see is that the rifle will angle to 1 side, since both point attachments are on the same side of the gun. But, many ARs are set up that way anyway.

I think if U order a regular PS90 sling, this other option will be about $8-$10 for the 2nd part to hook to the existing sling. I believe he will start selling it soon.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Hey, how do U like Lafayette? I almost went to school there, but finished college at Nichols State Louisiana. I grew up in Houma. Moved to TX in 1996.

When I get that sling in a week, I'll let ya know how I like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts