FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone believes it's necessary to properly "break-in" a new barrel for the FS2000. I realize it's not a match grade set-up and the barrel is cold hammer forged with chrome lining, but still wondered if a traditional break-in is being done by any members here?

Just to verify, the barrel is CHF and CL'd, right?

·
Registered
954 Posts
No, I don't think any breaking in is necissary. These rifles all seem to be very accurate right out of the box. As far as being cold hammer forged and chrome lined, I really don't know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I broke mine in the traditional way just for ****s, cleaned after every shot up to 20; I didn't spend 2K on my 2K to get an inaccurate rifle. Did it really help? I have no idea as I have nothing to compare it to. I agree with the last poster that they are exceptionally accurate rifles with only the trigger holding back their true accuracy potential. Although as stated in my previous posts I have actually grown to like the trigger for most applications, punching paper not being one of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The idea of break-in I've read is that the copper smooths in the microscopic pores of the barrel, thus making a smoother, more consistent barrel. One would assume that it creates tighter groups. Also, if you use a copper cleaning solvent it would probably require repeating the process.

Opinions vary on whether this is worth it, and I would venture to guess that it is not for a standard rifle such as this. Therefore, the only time a "break-in" is really warranted is if you have a barrel that is "match-grade" and destined for extreme performance. Normal rifles probably won't see any benefit to it at all.

Of course, you'll read as many opinions on both sides of the camp about this one so take mine with a grain of salt! :?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts