FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the various parts while cleaning the weapon and it appears that the barrle can rotate in the front assembly...is this norma?

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it does that to slow the extraction of the round. Moves I mean. I don't get the point of the metal cylinder that slides and is attached to the bolt. It seems it would accelerate the foces on the bolt as the cylinder slams back and forth. Am I right?

A

·
0 Posts
I've seen a slow motion video of the P90 firing before - and you can see the barrel and receiver moving a bit during the firing process. It is the way its made.

·
Registered
15 Posts
septo said:
I think it does that to slow the extraction of the round. Moves I mean. I don't get the point of the metal cylinder that slides and is attached to the bolt. It seems it would accelerate the foces on the bolt as the cylinder slams back and forth. Am I right?
I'd guess that cylinder could be used to control the cycle rate on the automatic version. Not sure what purpose it serves on the semi-auto. Maybe an expert will chime in here?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact that its blowback and not locked breech means that the bolt assy needs to have more mass. I would say that the floating barrel and the spring guide setup helps mitigate any battering. The round is fairly low recoil pulse too so it doesnt have to be too massive.

I put 100 rounds through my carbine and there has been no sign of battering. Of course I did the preventative velcro treatment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts