FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little miffed that the top of the barrel (the part that shows in the ejection port) gets scratched up from the slide rubbing against it.

I just don't think a product should have the factory finish destroyed "by design".

Anything that can be done to prevent it? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As a huge SRV fan, I find it hard to argue. (I was at the Alpine Valley concert the night before he died.)

BUT..... he chose to use a weathered guitar. I chose to buy a NEW gun - which with good care should NOT have the factory finish removed IMMEDIATELY after FIRST use.

Also...how would you feel if you opened your brand new car door and found out it scraped paint off the front fender? Same deal.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Dude, that's so cool you were there that night. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. I was raking leaves in my back yard listening to the "In Step" album on my walkman. My wife came out and said you hear about SRV? Damn!

But, I assure you, the barrel wear is completely normal, not only for your FN, but all semi autos. It doesn't hurt the performance in any way, and only adds to the patina!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Turnanewleaf is right. The only way for that to not happen on any semi-auto (or any gun that has contact points, which is all of them, really...) is to never shoot it. If you leave it NIB, it will look NIB. If you use it, it will look used. That's just life.

And as for your new car scenario, the door scraping the paint off the fender means something is wrong. However, by the time you get it home and into the driveway from the dealership, you've worn rubber off the tires, worn metal from the pistons, shaved metal off the gears in the transmission, and received a chip/scratch somewhere on your paint from a pebble on the road (whether you're aware of it or not.) It's wear and tear, and it happens on absolutely everything with moving parts.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Man, you'd be pissed with my match 1911 barrel. The barrel hood is pretty 'scratched' looking now. New, it was nice and polished, not a mark on it.

Some guns have smaller contact points, others larger. All my center fire pistols have wear on the barrel hood, some worse than others. To help mitigate it, use a light grease/good lube. Froglube has worked well for me as well as Milcomm tw25b.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Op- I hear you on the wear, it annoyed me at first ... But then I decided as long as my fns kept working so well I could deal with it and holster wear too. Also I've noticed it seems to have slowed down the wear when I applied some tuff glide on it. Might just be my imagination but it might be worth you checking out, you can get it on amazon. Its also really good at preventing rust, I keep it on all my carbon knifes... And no rust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You cannot use a semi automatic firearm, or any firearm for that matter, without this wear occurring. Better to find something else to worry about.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have yet to see any semi automatic firearm that did not have scratches on the barrel hood. It is just the way they work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Order a plain stainless barrel for it if it bothers you that much. If is 40 cal. I'll give you $50 for it.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Seriously, all barrels get those same marks to one degree or another.. Unless you order a custom gun $3k+ (maybe $5k) where they will hand fit every component, you will get those marks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts