FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American-Statesman Staff
A Second Amendment battle might be brewing in rural Travis County, where the operators of a new gun range reopened the business Friday in defiance of local officials’ orders to cease operations.

Owners of the Shooting Ranch gun range, on the outskirts of Creedmoor in southern Travis County, said city officials have overstepped their authority by attempting to shut down the business.

This story continues on our new premium website for subscribers, MyStatesman.com.

Continue reading/get access here »

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pay for news articles? Bleh, thats why I stopped hitting up WSJ and ESPN online...

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Here's a free link. (Different article, same topic-Choose skip ad)

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
It would seem obvious, if bullets are in fact exiting the safe confines of the range proper it should be temporarily closed to address that issue. I don't think any responsible range owner would want errant bullets becoming a threat to those around it. Then again, it could be the shooters themselves who are acting irresponsibly in that case they should be banned from shooting there permanently.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Shooting ranges are protected under State Law here in Texas. Basically, once a range is opened it is very difficult if not impossible for local authorities to close it. Had a similar situation near me in the DFW area recently. Developers insisted and city officials allowed construction of residential neighborhoods down wind of an existing gun range. Some stray bullets found their way into people's backyards and the fight was on. The owner fought the City tooth and nail and finally agreed to a compromise by substantially heightening the catch berm. I think there are still legal proceedings going on.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Shooting ranges are protected under State Law here in Texas. Basically, once a range is opened it is very difficult if not impossible for local authorities to close it. Had a similar situation near me in the DFW area recently. Developers insisted and city officials allowed construction of residential neighborhoods down wind of an existing gun range. Some stray bullets found their way into people's backyards and the fight was on. The owner fought the City tooth and nail and finally agreed to a compromise by substantially heightening the catch berm. I think there are still legal proceedings going on.
While I can sympathize with existing land owners and neighborhoods about a range being built next door, if the range was there first don't think you have anything to complain about. It pays to reconnoiter the area before you buy the house.

·
Registered
454 Posts
One of our local ranges had to increase its berms because people were actually getting hit and injured with rounds behind the property. IF they make it safe, and it was indeed a range before, then I believe they have every right to have their range.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is a huge issue in Hawaii. So glad I PCSed outta there to the free state of TX.

Only one public shooting range on the entire Island of Oahu. Its currently been shutdown for the last several months because (and I'm sure you know that the typically Hawaii lefty residents aren't very gun friendly) one guy keeps "finding bullets" in his back yard a few miles away from the range.

Saw a picture of one of these found bullets before and it looked like it came straight the package new. No rifling, no impact deformation, doubt it would have even tested + for GSR. Makes me sick how the politicians over there were soooo quick to pull the plug on the range based on the word of one lefty scumbag (has made numerous antigunner comments on his twitter previously).

Not really surprised news of that gun range Charlie Foxtrot has not broken out of the Island.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are referring to the Garland Public Shooting Range (I believe). The developers built subdivisions around the range (which as there prior). The City of Rowlett wanted it shutdown, while the City of Garland expressed the desire to work with both the range and the City of Rowlett. The range made berm and site improvements. The range is still open for business.

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Residents want gun range shut down for good Range currently closed for legal & safety reasons

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The Shooting Ranch opened with a big bang on the day after Christmas. About 10,000 rounds of ammunition were said to have been fired that day, and the mayor of Creedmoor was even in attendance.

Now the city of Creedmoor has taken the range to court and won a temporary injunction to shut it down.
The range is located in a rural area on the southern edge of Travis County, but neighbors are not thrilled.

Karla Gray says bullets have been whizzing by her home and office which sit about 3,100 feet away from the range.
"We covered up the hole in this window, but the bullet continued across the desk and embedded in these folders," Gray said. "If someone had been sitting here, it would not have been good."

Family attorney Kent Wymore says it is a legal and safety issue.

He points out that the land where the range sits is zoned for agriculture or residential, not commercial uses. "The operation in its present location has already proved dangerous," he added. "It's a risk not worth taking."
Other neighbors don't like the noise.

Martha Scott was born on her property in 1935 and says the noise spooks her and her animals.

"We have to wait between machine gun fire to hear each other talk," her son Craig said. "It's normally very tranquil here."
"I can replace a pet, I cannot replace a child," Gray said emphatically. "My biggest concern is the safety of my children and workers. My children are outside regularly and they hear the bullets going by."

Range owner James Stinson says he has tall dirt berms behind his targets and has offered to pay the Gray's damages.
Stinson says his attorney advised him not to do interviews, but in a statement said, "We fully expect to win the civil case on its merits."

The case will be heard in Travis County Civil Court on January 23.

See more: Residents want gun range shut down for good | KXAN.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts