61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Then why are you here?
I guess we're not allowed to be completely confident in our EDC choices. Who knew!?!

Then again, I knew absolutely nothing of the 509's hydrolock issue until a few hours ago while researching Glocks current metal treatment. That search for whatever reason led me to this thread.

And here we are. I have a valid concern about being able to fire my EDC/CCW after it and I have been submersed in water salt or fresh. In reality this would not be entirely unheard of for me either having already been there and done that.

But who knows Les maybe BK is so enamored with his or hers or it's (since we can never be certain these days) 509m they'll tolerate no criticismsisms of or about the pistola.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Great question. Peace out
Dayum @LESTER I think you may have struck the nerve or hurt the feeling or both. Hard to tell these days with all the confusing self-identity crises.

I just want to know my 509 will go bang after going under, that's all, fairly simple really.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
16,091 Posts
Then again, I knew absolutely nothing of the 509's hydrolock issue until a few hours ago while researching Glocks current metal treatment. That search for whatever reason led me to this thread.
I was thinking it just popped up as Recommended Reading at the bottom of a thread
lol!

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I was thinking it just popped up as Recommended Reading at the bottom of a thread
lol!
No Sir, I wasn't even logged in nor did I have the forum active in a tab. Just a link that caught my attention then drew me in, in hindsight I wish it hadn't. Spent the following hour watching videos that did not bestow in me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, all i'm saying is i'm not too concerned with the hydro lock issue. But hey, that's me...I did watch the youtube videos AFTER I bought my 509m. Did it give me pause? Sure, I don't like it, but it really doesnt take away from what the 509 offers for me. I'm not in the service on missions OR worried about falling in the water at my local boat ramp then having to instantly use my 509m. From what I understand a quick shake of the pistol and you should be good to go. But yea, it would be best if there was no hydro lock issue to begin with. It's a pretty good pistol otherwise imo. Perfect? I doubt that. FWIW, I'm a hunter and my main area of knowledge is bolt action rifles and optics. I just signed up here to learn. Peace.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Well, all i'm saying is i'm not too concerned with the hydro lock issue. But hey, that's me...I did watch the youtube videos AFTER I bought my 509m. Did it give me pause? Sure, I don't like it, but it really doesnt take away from what the 509 offers for me. I'm not in the service on missions OR worried about falling in the water at my local boat ramp then having to instantly use my 509m. From what I understand a quick shake of the pistol and you should be good to go. But yea, it would be best if there was no hydro lock issue to begin with. It's a pretty good pistol otherwise imo. Perfect? I doubt that. FWIW, I'm a hunter and my main area of knowledge is bolt action rifles and optics. I just signed up here to learn. Peace.
All well and good BK. Some of us veterans feel a weapon designed to compete for a military contract should meet or exceed DOD requirements. One of those current requirements is OTB (over the beach) capability for all light weapons. If you're unfamiliar with what that means, it means you are able to walk out of the ocean and shoot. No shaking, no opening bolts to break vacuum or hydrolock all of which take time, valuable time wasted on the two-way range.

If you came here to learn, let me assure you having an attitude will surely learn you we don't care much for that. Most of us here are also hunters.

Reactions: BKrush

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fair enough SeaMac....and yes I see your point about being specifically designed for that military contract that the Sig p320 won. In my humble opinion, the FN 509m "looks" higher quality than than the Sig xcompact I had last year. I will say the trigger has room for improvement. At this time i'm not interested in a MRD. I'm good with iron sights. But yes, the 509 you would think should be able to pass the water immersion test. Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Fair enough SeaMac....and yes I see your point about being specifically designed for that military contract that the Sig p320 won. In my humble opinion, the FN 509m "looks" higher quality than than the Sig xcompact I had last year. I will say the trigger has room for improvement. At this time i'm not interested in a MRD. I'm good with iron sights. But yes, the 509 you would think should be able to pass the water immersion test. Have a good one.
Agreed, the 509 damn sure should, shouldn't it? The fact I overlooked this ticks me off since I spent time and money on a platform that never would have made it to the final contract awarding.

I used to own a P320 even went to Sig's armorer's course in Epping, NH. The P320 is an excellent platform well deserving of the contract it and I just never gell'd if you know what I mean.

I have over the decades owned some outstanding pistols but no matter what I do or try I can't break free from a Glock 19. They just work, in any situation under any circumstances they go bang when they're supposed to and don't when they're not. And with each successive generation they get better. It is what it is I suppose but my SCAR and I will likely only part upon my demise.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Do you like the tomato?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree 100% on the Sig p320 or variants....went with the xcompact thinking one and done for 9mm anyways. But just didnt gel with it like you say. I can see why it won the contract though. I have nothing against glocks or the 19 for sure. My best friend has about 6 different models I believe. Swears by them, like alot of people, including military/LE. This 509m seems really sweet right now for my needs...for now haha

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Agree 100% on the Sig p320 or variants....went with the xcompact thinking one and done for 9mm anyways. But just didnt gel with it like you say. I can see why it won the contract though. I have nothing against glocks or the 19 for sure. My best friend has about 6 different models I believe. Swears by them, like alot of people, including military/LE. This 509m seems really sweet right now for my needs...for now haha
Just don't IWB it in your Speedo while swimming. If you do, please, no photos or videos and all will be well. 👌

·
Registered
387 Posts
If my bud or his wife is available to video that will work but he's a deputy and she's a nurse and both work nights.
If only someone could invent a device onto which one could place their camera/phone and have it stand... (hey, we can call it a "stand"!!!) there while it's recording a scene.
:D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I can't believe I'm chiming in again on this lol. I'm an admitted sinner and torture test freak. I like the .40 cal, and want my firearms to work if dropped in dirt or water. If I posted pics of my SCAR, you'd die if you saw what I did to it. In fact, I will post those pics one day. I've got a date with some tedious paper work tonight, but I'll post them. Rest assured gents, your SCAR will function after an amazing amount of dirt and water and mud applied lol. (stock trigger doesn't like dirt though - the Geisseli and Shooting Sight triggers have no problem though)

But I'm digressing - Regarding my 2 FNS .40 cal long slides... For the first 3 or 4 years I owned them - I had a 3rd at one point too - all tested in water submersion several times - about 10 different times. Same resutls across the board. Since they were .40 cals - higher pressure round - I would submerge them in water, then tilt the barrel down for 2 to 3, perhaps 4 seconds - and let the water drain out of the barrel, and then pull the trigger. They worked 100% of the time. I kept seeing vids where the FNS wouldn't fire, that's why I repeated the tests so many times. Finally, I got the courage to just pull the trigger immediately after submersion. It failed to fire ever single time except once - I consider that a lucky fluke. The guy in the first posted vid let it drain, but counted really fast. He did shake the gun off once, which surprised me when it didn't fire. But the FNS pistols will fire if drained for just a few seconds. Apparently a little longer than the guy in the vid let it drain though. I had the same results when I switched over to the Apex Heavy Duty Striker too. I spoke with Apex, and they considered the hydrolocking a non issue. (Apex doesn't surf ! lol)

I don't think it's really that big of a deal, but it's something to be aware of. I haven't wade fished in years, but it was rare I didn't have a pistol on me when I did. Yes, even in salt water. But rest assured, if you wade through water, most definitely your FN pistol will fire within 5 seconds of being out of the water. No need to unholster it and rack the slide.

I posted a water submersion vid I finally managed to get transferred from my phone once, but it seemed it gave access to all my other pics and emails, so I deleted it almost immediately. It's not my fault hot chicks send me dirty pics lol. You guys would have been saluting and worshiping me for years ahahahaha.

I'm not sure I ever posted in regards to the FNS trigger though. Here's some good news. I know on MAC's vid of the 509, he had to manually reset the trigger a few times. My tests make MAC's look like child's play. I go to the point of malfunction to find the point of it will not function. On my Glock's and Smith and Wessons, after throwing sand and dirt all over them, they will get a dead trigger sometimes - that is, you pull the trigger and nothing happens - sand gets in them and the pistol just don't go bang. Now keep in mind, when I water submerge test, I usually go ahead and do the dirt and or sand test too. Not once have I ever gotten a dead trigger on my FNS pistols. I know FN uses a completely different style trigger than other manufacturers, and perhaps that is why. I have had my FNS triggers get so gritty I didn't think they were going to reset, but they ALWAYS have. I know that wasn't the case in MAC's test, and he had to manually push the trigger forward if I recall correctly, but that has never happened to me.

I think my FNS is more like to get dirt all over it than be needed right after being submerged in water, so that aspect kind of wins over other pistols. Like I say, it was a little slow resetting a few times, but it has never just gone "click" like my Glock's and Smith 2.0 pistols. MAC's 509 gave him trouble, but all 3 of my FNS .40 long slides performed flawlessly in that aspect. I thought that was worth mentioning, because I've never heard anyone talk about striker fired triggers going dead when subjected to dirt or sand - but it's pretty common in striker fired pistols.

While the FNS pistols don't take so well to water, they aren't a complete fail if drained for just a few seconds, and when it comes to debris in the trigger area, the FNS seems to outperform other striker fired pistols. This is a sample of 3 different pistols with identical results too. Sorry for another long post in regards to FNS pistols again lol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Since no one has invented cell phone stand yet, I don't have video of the test I did this morning.

I sloshed the firearm in the water every time, let it sit for about 15 seconds then pulled it out of the water and fired it within a second of it being out of the water. Result?

10/10 bangs.

I do have the APEX firing pin installed, so I don't know if that makes a difference from the factory firing pin, in this instance.
Also, unlike that "expert cop" in the video, I used hot/warm water, instead of cold water, since you know... It's about 25 degrees outside and didn't want my hands to get cold. Maybe the 509 only goes click when full of cold water??? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
So, by the looks of it you were panning for gold but unearthed a 509 instead? Keep your address a secret @Kaz them 509'ers catch wind of your discovery....

I will test my 509m later today using "tepid" H2O not too cold, not too warm....tepid.

I just knew when I woke up this morning I would get to use the word "tepid" in a sentence. And there we have it.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts