FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol my brother and I always joked around about bear hunting scenarios (i know, we're pretty screwed up, aren't we). To SCAR 17S owners, how viable is the platform for use as a backwoods self-defence rifle? I know that generally a bigger cartridge is more suitable to taking down bear but I read somewhere that fast follow up shots is about equally important when a bear is charging you.

Since the SCAR 17S is relatively soft shooting, how useful would it be in such a situation?

Seems like a good idea to me, bring a 20 or 25 round PMAG (HANDL lower), fold that stock, carry it around to accompany a big bore bolt.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I shot a 300 pound wild hog in the head. The projectile traveled in just under the right eye. It continued its travel out of the base of the skull in the back, through the spinal cord, the shoulder blade and stopped progress in the meat of the shoulder behind the blade. It didn't take another step. Wild hogs are some of the toughest creatures on the planet from my experience. I've shot one in the head with 000 Buck shot from 25 yards and it knocked it out cold. Then it got up and ran into the swamp 45 seconds later. I believe this speaks to the capability and ballistics of the .308. The projectile used on the hog was a 165 gr ballistic tip out of a 16" barrel. I trust the round with my life. That being said the animal will only go down if your shot placement is correct. If you need more than 1 round (maybe a second if the large animal doesn't fold like oragami) you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
there is NOT A BEAR ALIVE that can withstand a 20rd MAGDUMP of .308! and thats a FACT JACK! until i purchased my scar 17, i used my socom M1-A w/a 20rd mag or hk-91 w/folding stock in the event of a bear around camp in yellowstone fishing for 2 weeks.

also a 45/70 and a 12ga benelli with the 1st rd #6 birdshot(aim for the eyes/if blind they cant see you!), then double OO buck,then federal slug,the OObuck then slug etc. were set in strategic areas.

45/70 loaded with buffalo bores and .44 mag loaded w/buffalo bores bad azz azz bear azz whupper rds on me in a cross chest holster at ALL TIMES! EVEN WHEN I TOOK A POO!

if ya think thats overkill, well then ask the tourist EATEN 1.5 miles north of us, while we were watching 'ol faithful and taking pics at the EXACT TIME AND DATE we were 1.5 miles SOUTH OF HIM!

its NOT A JOKE! backcountry yellowstone ya better be on a horse! with a BOATLOAD OF PEOPLE MAKING NOISE! and when ya campout for the night......................well thats when the FUN(?) BEGINS w/MR BEAR!

and if a bear(black/brown/white/silver) is attacking me or wifey.................i dont give a RATS AZZ what the mag limit IS IN THAT STATE!

·
Registered
505 Posts
When in Bear Country its a good idea to have Bear Medicine. The bigger the round the better. I agree 308 is quite capable. But you want the Bear to drop in its tracks. A 308 is not going to do that unless its a head shot. Kinda hard to do when they can hit 35 MPH in a matter of seconds and be on you quicker than 1 or 2 shots get off IF YOUR LUCKY. If its out in the open then a 308 would be fine (100 of yards and you have another guy with you with another 308 rifle. But in the brush or close quarters so to speak you want a BIG round. This is where the problem lies. You never know what type of terrain you will be in when the Bear decides he wants one last meal before he takes his winters nap. 50 Alaskan is an excellent Stop A Bear In Its Tracks Right Now Caliber. I like the 45-70 as well if you have some dedicated Bear loads like those from Buffalo Bore or Corbon. Another great cartridge is the 457 Alaskan (my 2nd choice). You can practice with the much cheaper 45-70 Government and still Deliver one hell of a whollop with the 457 Alaskan out of the same gun (custom made for 457 Alaskan but can still shoot 45-70) If your just out and about and not really expecting Bears but want something just in case then yah I guess the SCAR 17 would make you feel safer. I wouldnt want a 308 though if a BIG Grizz was trying to eat me. Black bear is a different story. 308 is good medicine for them. Not sure why anyone would want to piss a Bear off by shooting it with #6 birdshot. Thats not going to do **** to a big bear except really piss him off. I would even suspect a black bear would not be to detered. The shot is not even going to penetrate his hide and most of the force will be absorbed by its fur. Depending on how far the bear is away from you and the length of the barrel the pattern will greatly expand and loose its ability to do anything quickly at any distance due to its light weight tiny little projectiles. If its close enough to where the "birdy shot" would actually blind him then he is already on you blind or not. You would have been better off putting the shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger. If you want proof there are a couple of very gruesome videos a men being eaten alive. Not eaten after they were killed but while they were still alive. Having your intestines and other organs being ripped out of your body and eaten while you are still alive and screaming will quickly see you wishing you turned that shotgun on your self. Buckshot and slugs are NOT BEAR medicine unless there specially made for BEAR. Different type of hardened lead and shape of slug ect ect. Even then they are NOT accurate and just a good way to get your self killed. I have trained with the 338 Winchester Magnum in Bear class but prefer the 50 Alaskan Hands Down or even the 457 Alaskan over the 338 Win Mag. I no longer take Scientists out in the middle of no where to play in Alaska. Political Correctness has NO business in the real world. They will change there minds after some of there precious scientist get eaten alive and its caught on the faster running scientist iPhones. So I dont worry to much about those things anymore. BUT when I did I ALWAYS had a Co Pilot 50 Alaskan Rifle even when I was not "allowed" to by the powers that be. Except in Canada. There we had the Locals stand Bear watch. These were usually the Inuits. Most were drunk before noon. I have a photo of the guy who was "supposed" to be protecting us asleep with all of the scientist behind him. I will try and find it. His rifle was a 303 Enfield and I would have been afraid to fire it. Anyway if you will be in Big Bear Country (like Alaska) make sure you take a Bear class. You will be surprised at how fast the moving target is on you. Good Luck and stay safe. Bears are BIG and can accelerate faster than they should be able to but they do. Can you run 35MPH? They can. One last thing. It is really sobering when you realize that you are NOT on top of the food chain. This is instinctive because even the scientists felt the change as we were dropped of by helicopter. They quickly discarded there Anti Gun views (until we were back in something resembling civilization) then it was NO COMMON SENSE as usual.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Heheh, flatlanders make me laugh. So bear paranoid. I'm sorry, I don't mean you, I'm sure you are an expert that lives and plays in bear country and have killed a dozen bears like the Buffalo Bore guy.
Thats not to say you can or should ignore bears, you definitely have to be aware of them and your circumstances. But I've lived in a tent in griz country for a summer (as a wilderness ranger in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness) and I've had 3 elk camps torn apart by bears and yet NEVER had to shoot one. Not that I wouldn't, just never had to. And I'm only talking Montana here, Alaska is a different animal and I don't know squat about that.

Anyways, where was I? Oh, right, charging bear. If its a griz, and its close enough to be charging you, you're probably bear chow. If you had your rifle in your hands, locked and loaded then you have a chance. But the scar is an awesome weapon for this. Any rounds we usually carry would split a bear skull and kill it. And any hunting rounds we use would drop a bear (eventually) with a good heart/lung shot. Best aim for the head if she's charging tho.

Heheheh, flatlanders.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Lol my brother and I always joked around about bear hunting scenarios (i know, we're pretty screwed up, aren't we). To SCAR 17S owners, how viable is the platform for use as a backwoods self-defence rifle? I know that generally a bigger cartridge is more suitable to taking down bear but I read somewhere that fast follow up shots is about equally important when a bear is charging you.

Since the SCAR 17S is relatively soft shooting, how useful would it be in such a situation?

Seems like a good idea to me, bring a 20 or 25 round PMAG (HANDL lower), fold that stock, carry it around to accompany a big bore bolt.
I've hiked and hunted in black bear country the majority of my life and generally when you come across them they simply just haul @ss. A bear and her cub is the most dangerous creature you'll likely meet in North America and extreme caution should be exercised. All things considered the SCAR 17s is more than enough rifle to handle an attack just because of the amount of lead you can lay down.

Are you hunting something besides bear or are you just hiking around? I ask because you can only shoot one rifle at a time and if that moment comes you most likely wont have time to drop your bolt action and shoulder your SCAR. With that said, I would just carry my Marlin guide gun with some handloads a friend loaded up (300gr - 2450fps) or buffalo bore loads, or just a 12 gauge with buckshot. Also, I've seen more than enough studies and demonstrations that bear spray is generally more effective at immediately stopping the threat than about any round you'll put into that bear. Yes I know, not as cool as dropping a bear at your feet like Jeremiah Johnson but it works well.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Heheh, flatlanders make me laugh. So bear paranoid. I'm sorry, I don't mean you, I'm sure you are an expert that lives and plays in bear country and have killed a dozen bears like the Buffalo Bore guy.
Thats not to say you can or should ignore bears, you definitely have to be aware of them and your circumstances. But I've lived in a tent in griz country for a summer (as a wilderness ranger in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness) and I've had 3 elk camps torn apart by bears and yet NEVER had to shoot one. Not that I wouldn't, just never had to. And I'm only talking Montana here, Alaska is a different animal and I don't know squat about that.

Anyways, where was I? Oh, right, charging bear. If its a griz, and its close enough to be charging you, you're probably bear chow. If you had your rifle in your hands, locked and loaded then you have a chance. But the scar is an awesome weapon for this. Any rounds we usually carry would split a bear skull and kill it. And any hunting rounds we use would drop a bear (eventually) with a good heart/lung shot. Best aim for the head if she's charging tho.

Heheheh, flatlanders.
Your tone wasn't too bad in the first post.....

l love the humor though, Im technically just a slightly more experienced flatlander... Bear paranoid is a understatement for most that have never been around them, my coon-ass brother in law from Louisiana comes to mind....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah, we have a friend from AZ that comes up here and he is constantly in fear of bears. Twice while I was fishing with him I saw bears, never told him. He would have **** himself right in my raft, and I didn't want to have to clean that up.

I've had run ins with a few black bears, and although its a bit scary being that close to claws that big, I just shouted and they ran away. And one was a momma with cubs. The cubs ran up a tree down hill from me for safety. The problem is with the steep hill they were 20 feet up a tree and just perfectly at my eye level. They made the most god awful mewling crying sound. I high tailed it out of there before momma decided I was aggravating her cubs.

And on a side note, if people (even locals) knew how often they were watched/stalked by curious mountain lions there would be a lot less people in the woods. I was a forester and one of my jobs was hiking a mile out, then right back along the same route (marking section lines). And no one else was anywhere near me, so all the tracks were mine in the snow. Almost every day I spotted cat tracks somewhere near mine, and often they criss crossed my tracks like they were stalking me. And only once or twice a season did I see a cat. Just sayin. Look up.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My now 16 year old son got his elk at 529 yard last year as near as i can remember and using my scar 17, I wouldn't be concerned with taking a bear with it in fact as soon as we draw a bear tag the 17 is what we will be using!

·
Registered
67 Posts
@American Infidel
Where did you see those bear videos? Ive seen bear attack videos but never anyone being eaten.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My now 16 year old son got his elk at 529 yard last year as near as i can remember and using my scar 17, I wouldn't be concerned with taking a bear with it in fact as soon as we draw a bear tag the 17 is what we will be using!
That is outstanding! What ammo were you using?

As for bear with the SCAR, I'd go with ammo loaded with a solid like the Barnes TSX, they don't lose any weight and penetrate very well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And on a side note, if people (even locals) knew how often they were watched/stalked by curious mountain lions there would be a lot less people in the woods.

There aren't grizzlies around here, so I'm not really afraid of bears. They usually just want to be left alone. I watched a black bear "hide" behind a tree, I guess he thought if he couldn't see me I couldn't see his fat butt on either side of the tree. He'd poke his head out, crap the human is still there, and "hide" again. I didn't let on that I knew he was there and everyone was happy.

Cats are a different story. Bears bluff charge and are generally scavengers. Cougars are killers. I've seen tracks and found kills but I have never seen the cat that did it, I do believe he has seen me. My father and brother both have cougar stories that make you realize man in not the apex predator he thinks he is, we just have good tools. Bears want to protect their young, mountain lions want to eat you.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Why can't you people just use a hunting rifle for hunting animals? Don't you feel silly toting a modern military rifle in the woods, all clunky and bulky, trying to shoot at animals that can't shoot back? Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

A Marlin .45-70 levergun is a lot cheaper, easier to tote around and simply handier and don't make you look like a mall ninja out in the woods.

Yes, poachers use AKs to kill elephants and rhinos too. It doesn't mean that you should give up your safari gun and start packing AKs with 75-rds drums on the veldt of Africa.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Why can't you people just use a hunting rifle for hunting animals?
We could get a Sako TRG 338 and sit across a river with a cooler. Not to be inflammatory, but we are talking about large bears here, not deer. And for that matter -- if somebody wants to hunt deer with
a Scar (I have friends that do), why is that a problem? It is a very accurate rifle that allows humane kills and has enough power to minimize risk of not dropping the animal you are hunting.

Don't you feel silly toting a modern military rifle in the woods
Interestingly enough when examining politics lately, the term "military" is the next "assault rifle". Also, remember that our snipers used accurized hunting rifles for decades. A rifle is a rifle. The desire
is always the same... make every shot count. Magazine capacity is irrelevant and appearance is moot.

trying to shoot at animals that can't shoot back?
They can't shoot back at a person with a 45-70 guide gun either. They can, however, make a hot pocket out of you. Again, I would want
an accurate rifle that is easily manipulated under (a ton of) stress.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
We could get a Sako TRG 338 and sit across a river with a cooler.
Because a Sako M85 hunting rifle in the same caliber just can't do the job, right?

Not to be inflammatory, but we are talking about large bears here, not deer.
Because nobody ever put down a large bear or large bears with hunting rifles that don't benefit from auto cycling and high mag capacity, right?

And for that matter -- if somebody wants to hunt deer with
a Scar (I have friends that do), why is that a problem? It is a very accurate rifle that allows humane kills and has enough power to minimize risk of not dropping the animal you are hunting.
It's not a problem. I've done it with my SAR-48 and HK91 back when I was hunting. However, there are other guns more efficient for the job. And frankly, there's one thing to play dress-up commandos in the woods (heaven knows, I did and still do), there's another to actually lug a cumbersome gun around the boonies for the sole purpose of hunting games when something more suitable can do. I mean, really, you're going to lug a 10-lbs gun (with 20-rds mag loaded) and maybe add another three pounds of optics, hand grips, flashlight, laser? To go deer/bear hunting? Or lug down the trail for "bear protection"?

Interestingly enough when examining politics lately, the term "military" is the next "assault rifle".
I call'em what they are: semiauto version of military rifles. I'm not going to dignify the stupid monikers of assault rifles/battle rifles. That's another thread all on its own.

Also, remember that our snipers used accurized hunting rifles for decades.

But the SCAR isn't an accurized hunting rifle, is it?

A rifle is a rifle. The desire
is always the same... make every shot count. Magazine capacity is irrelevant and appearance is moot.
Then take a proper hunting gun.

They can't shoot back at a person with a 45-70 guide gun either. They can, however, make a hot pocket out of you. Again, I would want
an accurate rifle that is easily manipulated under (a ton of) stress.
How many times have you been attacked by angry bears? That you'd need a military semiauto with 20-rds mag to deal with?

I get it. You people want to go out to the boondocks and looking cool...that's fine. That's why I buy these guns too.

You want to do it to piss off the anti-hunters/PETA/liberals? Sure, why the hell not? That's why I did it too back in the days.

But we are not in a regular hunting forum with all sorts of hunters and varying degrees of Second Amendment support. We're not at Democratic Underground. We're at the FN Forum under the SCAR17 subforum. You don't have to rationalize to me the need for taking a SCAR17 into the woods for hunting or for bear/cougar/dangerous games protection. It just sounds silly to the choir.

Do it because you want to and leave it at that. You don't have to justify anything.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ya know where i work(airport) i get to talk to a lot of people from various bear states. over time bears have now become atuned to gunshots=din din dinner bells. if you say knock an elk down in wyoming, you can pretty much figure on meeting a bear. which makes damn good sense to have a SENTRY armed while your skinning/gutting. it also makes damn good sense to have dogs w/you. they have a keener sense and will generally piss the bears off and be yer 1st line of defense.

you dont need to freeking go to alaska to be up to yer eyeballs in nasty azz bears. fishing the madison/yellowstone/nez perce rivers, 50ft off the highway can make you into BEAR POO REAL DAMN FAST!

now all you bear meisters, did you know that bears populations have exploded? wyoming especially with even reports of grizz moving back into the wasatch of northern utah and into northern colorado. its called population density. and when a bear lays claim to an area, any/all bears will move elsewhere. and not into "standard" areas aka forests. bear population in wyoming is moving eastward into grass lands and away from yellowstone park due to lack of food for them. hence they are showing up in non traditional areas.

oh and as far as using #6 birdshot in my 12 gauge so as to blind the bear. that came from a USFS LEO RANGER in yellowstone. his job was back country law enforcement. and i have heard the same thing from alaska pilots that fly in here. once again followed by double OO buck then slug(breneke), OO buck etc.

try fly casting w/a 45/70(or anything) on yer shoulder and a .44 mag in a cross chest holster! it aint fun believe me.

45/70
.308 w/20 rd mag
.338 win mag
.44 w/corbons
.454 casull
.375 h&h
3006 even
12ga

all better than a stoopid can of bear spray.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts