FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here ever been foolish enough to take one apart for cleaning of pocket lint (actually it was just really slow while opening, oil would have done very little) ? well, i was. and i can't put humpty dumpty back together correctly. if anyone has tips or benchmade training, i'd appreciate the assistance. it's a presidio 5000 auto knife. this damn thing is confounding me and there is no help from internet searches.

it seems like there's a very specific order for putting it back together, i was very close on one try but the locking button would never have worked if i went with it.

suggestions/comments/vulgarities are all welcome.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I wish I had better advice for you. I know what you're going through though. I was dumb enough to attempt disassembling an infedel. I got it back together but it was unreliable after that. So I sent it back under benchmades lifetime warranty and they replaced it. Its free. That's what I suggest you doing.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have replaced a spring in mine before without issue. Mine was a side opening blade, what is yours? Some pics would help a lot.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts

Thatd be the one. It can't be as bad as the infidel. I opened that bad boy up and optimus prime jumped out.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@KameronTK That's interesting. I read that taking it apart voids the warranty, which I wasn't all that concerned with initially. Now...

@sld Dunno why I didn't do that in the first post :/

presidio.jpeg

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
@KameronTK That's interesting. I read that taking it apart voids the warranty, which I wasn't all that concerned with initially. Now...

@sld Dunno why I didn't do that in the first post :/

View attachment 27491
Sure it does. However, I was able to get it back together well enough that they didn't know. They never even inquired as to if it was disassembled by me... I guess they don't have a "void if broken sticker on the inside like some things do. Either way I'm sure if you get it back together decent enough they would replace it.

That's if you are unable to get it working again.

Reactions: hillbillyjim

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Wow Kam they refused to even honor the sharpen for life deal on mine. Stating it could only be shipped to them by a policeman due to it being a black series and an auto. I keep buying benchmade auto's anyways even if they won't honor their warranty. I am not the first person to have this problem either. The guy I use to buy them from stopped carrying them because he said he was tired of customers complaining to him about benchmade not honoring their warranty. I ordered new springs for mine off ebay and installed them myself.

ACM mine I believe had two clock type springs that I do not see in your picture. I suppose I just never hesitate to rip something apart. The auto mechanic in me has to know how everything works. If you live near me I would gladly give a whack at trying to reassemble it for you. No promises but I feel like I could do it if given the chance.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I use canned air to clean lint out of all my knives. But agree with KAM, send it to Benchmade. They have fantastic customer service and quick turn around.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wow Kam they refused to even honor the sharpen for life deal on mine. Stating it could only be shipped to them by a policeman due to it being a black series and an auto. I keep buying benchmade auto's anyways even if they won't honor their warranty. I am not the first person to have this problem either. The guy I use to buy them from stopped carrying them because he said he was tired of customers complaining to him about benchmade not honoring their warranty. I ordered new springs for mine off ebay and installed them myself.

ACM mine I believe had two clock type springs that I do not see in your picture. I suppose I just never hesitate to rip something apart. The auto mechanic in me has to know how everything works. If you live near me I would gladly give a whack at trying to reassemble it for you. No promises but I feel like I could do it if given the chance.
Benchmade cannot ship automatic knives out of the state of Oregon to anyone other than authorized dealers, LEO, military, or government employees without violating federal law. Those who do not qualify must have an authorized dealer handle the warranty return.
http://www.benchmade.com/images/pdf/ako_acknowledgment.pdf

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I was aware of the restriction on interstate movement for auto knives too. Thanks everyone for the responses but it looks like if someone's going to make a how-to, I'll be the first one once I figure it out myself. @sld A) I really thought your username started with skl until I got closer to the monitor. that's trippy, lol. B) I'm in Phoenix if you want to take a stab at it (pun intended)

I'm convinced it's a clever puzzle and can be done by hand with minimal tools/tooling.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick follow up. not really relevant to the topic but I didn't want to start a new thread over it. Picked up a new benchmade blade, 484 AXIS® Folder Product Detail. The handle is maybe 1/2" smaller than the auto knife but the blade is about the same in dimensions. I followed some youtube vids on polishing the washers and the action is now as smooth as my sister's cheeks from when she was a baby. It's pretty damned nice.

I'm still working on trying to get the first one in full operational order (meaning the lock works) but until then this is a fantastic substitute.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i may have figured it out. it's fully assembled right now but it's not on the spring because i got tired of messing with it for the day. the spring is in there. just no tension for the auto-opening. and if it does work out, it'll be difficult to make a how-to video. which is probably why there arent any right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts