FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the benefits of switching to this brake? besides the suppressor being able to get added on, is there any other real benefit? does it increase recoil? Ive seen mixed reviews.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Main benefits are for suppressor use. Out side of that, looks.

Unless you can get a AAC SPR/M4 suppressor, which happens to be discontinued, or the 7.62 military only equivalent it would be for looks. The brake seems like it would help some but looks like its meant to be a sacrificial baffle for suppressor use.

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

not the brake but the flash hider on a 14" barrel

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Unless you have a lead on this suppressor already, I would not go with this mount. You're gonna pay an arm and a leg for the can that mates to the miter mount and that can isn't as good as many other offerings on the market today. If you don't plan on suppressing, then got for it. The miter is actually a flash hider though, not a brake.

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
I would say so.
Maybe so, but I did know that the use would be for aesthetics only because the possibility of getting the can for it was extremely unlikely to non-existant at an exorbitant costs for more recent SCAR17 purchasers. A free trip to a galaxy far far away was more likely. So to me, and probably some others, it made this a no go for use with the SCAR17 and that is what the other threads indicated. And considering AAC's multi directional views and constant changing of mind as to the applicable uses of their Brake/Compensator/Flash Hider units with the SCAR17's, it was easy to bypass this option.

However, I am glad that you were successful in your endeavors concerning this. It is a nice add on.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have the AAC 7.62 SDN-6 with the miter mount. I admit I am a bit "eccentric," but I'm in my 50's and old enough to qualify as eccentric rather than just plain regular weird. So my experiences are not always typical or shared by everyone else. Your results may vary.

I found the AAC miter without the can installed drastically increased my Scar 17's recoil to the point I did not like it. I found that adding the can did not help. I checked into switching to the AAC brake adapter mount instead of the miter flash hider adapter mount thinking that would get the recoil back to FN OEM brake performance my Scar came with and that I love so much. I was heart broken to learn that AAC does NOT approve of any of their brakes being installed on the Scar 17! The reason is the Scar's pencil barrel has insufficient shoulder size to mate or index properly.

Installing an AAC brake adapter on you Scar would probably not be a real issue so long as you never attach a can to it because the problem is apparently not in hurting your Scar rather the issue is killing the can with baffle strikes.

So I gave up and went back to the OEM brake my Scar 17 came with. The can will be used on my .300 Blk that it was designed for and it will be used on my AR's and PTR 91. So it isn't like that can doesn't have a home. It just doesn't have a home on my Scar.

There are a few who HATE the brake our Scars come with because of the concussion and noise it directed at the shooter. I honestly don't notice it at all when I am shooting. But while lightning was crashing all around me one afternoon when I was rafting in the 1980's, I didn't hear the three bolts that electrocuted me either. But I do notice the recoil without that brake and I don't like it. Again, your results may vary.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe so, but I did know that the use would be for aesthetics only because the possibility of getting the can for it was extremely unlikely to non-existant at an exorbitant costs for more recent SCAR17 purchasers. A free trip to a galaxy far far away was more likely. So to me, and probably some others, it made this a no go for use with the SCAR17 and that is what the other threads indicated. And considering AAC's multi directional views and constant changing of mind as to the applicable uses of their Brake/Compensator/Flash Hider units with the SCAR17's, it was easy to bypass this option.

However, I am glad that you were successful in your endeavors concerning this. It is a nice add on.
I get where you are coming from now. Yeah, this is for aesthetics in my case. I live in California so I just picked what looked best to me with no consideration for the suppressor.

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
Brakes can be mounted on the SCAR properly. You just have to use a different shim kit.

Rocksett and torqued properly, I haven't had any problems. I only shoot suppressed with my 762SD. Waiting for my 762SDN6 on a form 3 now

Nice photo. I do not disagre with you, there are several steps that have to be done to ensure that the concentricity is there. With the tiny shoulder on the SCAR17, you have to use some sort of interface between the brake/FH or whatever to enlarge the contact area between the shoulder and brake/FH, unless you sit it on the crown of the barrel. Are you using a spacer and if so, what is the make model etc.... Is this the normal depth brake or the deep socket and if it is the deep socket, is it sitting on the barrel crown? I have a combo FH/Brake from AAC this is a deep socket and both AAC and SilencerShop do not recommend the deep socket for use on the SCAR17. Last I heard was AAC FH only and not the deep socket although there are members that have been able to come up with alternatives to make it work.

Will also be using my AAC 762SDN6 with the SCAR17 so this information is good to have.

Not the M.I.T.E.R that the OP is questioning though. Sorry for the Hijack OP but this always seems to happen when we discuss the SCAR17 and AAC as well as other attachment methods.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Brakes can be mounted on the SCAR properly. You just have to use a different shim kit.

Rocksett and torqued properly, I haven't had any problems. I only shoot suppressed with my 762SD. Waiting for my 762SDN6 on a form 3 now
Very cool! Can you give more info on the spacer? Maybe in a new thread if post drift is an issue?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Yes. More details please. I have various 51T AAC mount on just about every rifle I have now except for the SCAR. Planning on getting a SilencerCo Saker when possible (once out of CA for good). Was thinking of eventually switching out all of the AAC mounts for SilencerCo's mounts. But, if I can avoid that, that's additional expense that can be freed up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts