Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no desire what so ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past three days I have been testing and evaluating the beretta Px4 .40 cal type D (DAO), below is just some of my thoughts and observations. I shot 500 rounds of ammunition through it without any malfunctions.

First the only handguns I own are DAO, I do not care for DA/SA guns, and the only SA gun I would own would be a 1911/hi power. Also I am really only comparing this gun to its predecessor the beretta 96D and glocks (with the 8lb trigger) since that is pretty much all I own/shoot.

If you are a beretta fan or like pistols that are DAO then I suggest you look at the somewhat new beretta Px4 storm. Here's why:

INITIAL OBSERVATION:

THe Px4 is much lighter and slimmer than the beretta 96D. I installed the medium grip on the back strap and it fit my hand like a glove. The polymer frame reduces overall weight and adds an accessory rail in front of the trigger guard.

Pulling back on the slide I noticed it was much heavier than the 96D and glock. More researched showed that the Px4 uses a 18lb recoil spring compared to the 12lb recoil spring of 96D.

The slide release is not a long as compared to the 96D however it seems to be more ergonomic and easier to find.

Pressing the magazine released button the magazine exited the magazine well with authority. The new magazine holds 14 rounds of .40cal compared to just 11 rounds in the 96D. More research revealed a 3 round magazine extension for the Px4 bringing the total round count up to 17.

I disassembled the magazine and noticed it was a totaly different design from the 96D, it uses a magazine spring that actually collapses within itself, the follower is actually attached to the magazine spring which is an improvement over the 96D.

Pressing the slide release/stop the slide went into battery with plenty of force and no hesitation. After dry firing the weapon I noticed beretta lightened the trigger pull as well as shortened it up. Further research revealed the Px4 trigger pull is approximately 9.9lbs compared to the 10-12lbs of the 96D.

Field stripping was easy and required no tools, the Px4 uses a rotating barrel system, central locking block and captive recoil spring instead of the falling locking block, recoil spring and recoil spring guide of the 96D.

The Px4 no longer has the loaded round indicator on the extractor compared the 96D which would show red on the extractor when a round was in the chamber.

Assembly was just as easy as the disassembly. Both the Px4 and 96D use a passive firing pin block to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped.

RANGE TIME:

I fired the Px4 from 1yard out to 25 yards and I must say it shot great. As stated earlier I shot 500 rounds of federal JHP ammunition through it and it function flawlessly.

The trigger was smooth and very nice, the recoil was definitely reduced compared to the 96D and Glock 23.

I did not measure for accuracy but the Px4 is definitely more accurate than I am. I was able to keep all my rounds within the 8 ring of a B-27 target no matter what range I was shooting. The increased magazine capacity is definitely welcomed over the 96D and Glock 23.

CONCERNS:

As with any gun there are always concerns no matter what, mine are:

1. new design = possible durability issues? only time will tell
2. parts availability
3. aftermarket accessory availabilty

All in all I am impressed, its a great design from a good firearms manufacturer, though its not quite as popular as a glock, sig, springfield, or HK I think it will have a cult like following to say the least.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I had a 40 cal PX4 until a month or 2 ago - I sold it to buy another gun. Softest shooting 40 cal handgun I have ever shot.

Gun works well. I do wish the grip had a thumb indentation built into it.

Gun has been out a few years now, so I think the bugs have been shaking out for the 9mm and 40 cal versions. The 45 version is new, though...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree with the softest shooting .40 cal, I have shot beretta 96D and 9000S, glock 23, sig 229/239, and springfield XD at one time or another and the Px4 felt the lightest

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
My money is tied up in new guns tuff until at least the summer. But, I kinda want to upgrade my carry gun (higher caliber). If I do not buy a USPc in 45 or a 4" 1911, I may buy another PX4 in 40 cal for my CHL gun.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Nice review, but I'm going to buy a wilson combat 1911 :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Wilson never interested me. I was down to Nighthawk, Ed Brown and the Springfield Custom Shop - I went with Springer Custom.

But if you want a 40 cal - this is the way to go (PX4)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ShipWreck said:
iCeMaN said:
Wilson never interested me. I was down to Nighthawk, Ed Brown and the Springfield Custom Shop - I went with Springer Custom.

I'm gonna cry when if i add up how much i have spent on guns lol

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
iCeMaN said:
ShipWreck said:
iCeMaN said:

I'm gonna cry when if i add up how much i have spent on guns lol
Wanna buy me one? :twisted:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
A 1911 or px 4?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
iCeMaN said:
A 1911 or px 4?
I'd take the 1911 first. Nothing too fancy :?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Furyataurus said:
I'd never get a PX4. My buddy had one and it continually jammed on him after 50 rounds put through it.
that really sucks so far i like mine, but as i stated since it is kind of a new design it, i'm concerned about the durability. I read in one of my old gun magazines that the Px4 was designed around the .40 caliber cartridge not the 9mm and that it has a 30,000-40,000 service life with 5,000 rounds between failures. I still think beretta did a good job with the design of the pistol, now we just have to see if holds up.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The design isn't THAT new. Gun has been out 3-4 years. And, it was based on the Cougar, which came out about 10 years or so. That was Beretta's first rotating barrel gun like this.

I had one when they first came out, but later sold it. I wished that the barrel was at least 4" at the time. The PX4's barrel is longer.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts