FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all fellow members,

I have a FNX 45 and would like some options and opinions about what you think is the best carry ammo for our pistols? This will be the ammo I carry 3 mags of on my war belt for personal defense. I have a few options listed below and would like some opinions of forum members of what they think:

1) .45 Federal HST LE 230g jacketed hollow point

2) Featured Products

3) Hornady critical defense .45 ACP 185g FTX rounds.

These are just a couple of examples I have been looking at as of late. I would like your input and experience with this ammo listed above or any other that might be good for my needs.

Also, I'm not sure if I want to go light with the 185g bullets or the heavier 230g bullets. What is your opinions on this also? Obviously one is lighter and travels faster while the other is heavier, but more lead down the pipe.

thank you all,

flea

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
I've put several mags of the Federal through my FNX-45's without so much as a hiccup. So, from a reliability standpoint, I say it's a keeper. But I'm hardly an expert on comparative ballistic performance, so take any opinion of mine with a cup of salt.

Reactions: fleasly

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I get back from China, I am going to try some Freedom Munitions 230gr JHP. <$17 per 50. Good range price and hollow point for defense. If it cycles well, I can use one ammo for both since it costs less than Winchester range ammo in 45ACP.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I've put a couple hundred of the 185gr Hornady FTX rounds through both of my FNP 45's, it's what I have loaded in all of my 45 carry guns. I've never had a single issue with that ammo in any of my pistols.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Remington golden saber .....this stuff inflicts absolute carnage! Just google the ballistics and see for yourself. I just picked up a box of 25 for about a $1 a round, and it's my EDC.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here's a good list according to Doc Roberts.

.45ACP
  • Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:
    • Cor-Bon (DPX45185)
    • Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)
  • Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)
  • Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
  • Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)
  • Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP (23966)
  • Speer Gold Dot 230gr +P JHP

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I personally use Federal HST2 in my 1911.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Federal HST or Remington Golden Sabers are what get the nod for my EDC personal defense ammo. At the range pretty much Winchester White Box

·
Banned
119 Posts
Here's a good list according to Doc Roberts.

.45ACP
  • Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:
    • Cor-Bon (DPX45185)
    • Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)
  • Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)
  • Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
  • Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)
  • Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP (23966)
  • Speer Gold Dot 230gr +P JHP

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I personally use Federal HST2 in my 1911.
I stopped reading when I saw AR15.com......a complete cesspool of misinformation and hyperbole.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've been watching a lot of videos and reading a a lot of reviews. Seems like their are just a few rounds that people continuously agree are very good:

1) Federal HST +P 230g load
2) Speer Gold Dot 230g load

Seems like my search has narrowed to these 2 rounds. I think I will purchase a few boxes of both and see what I prefer.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
+1 HST 230g JHP

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
As a rule I don't shoot +p ammo, it's not known to be pleasant on pistols. Sorry...

Have you shot the +P and if so did you notice any difference in the recoil and reacusition to target time needed with the extra P ????

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Liberty Civil Defense ammo is just nasty, however you may be turned off by it's lite weight, only 78 gr. for a .45cal . Most of it will chrony at over 2000 fps and a thump of 741 ft/lb of energy. The results of this round is catastrophic, on a 25 lb block of moist clay it will produce a hole 6" deep and 5" wide. I watched a vid on this awhile back and it blew up the block of clay, no need to discuss what this speed is able to breech. I didn't notice any more recoil but it seems twice as loud when standing behind someone shooting it w/o ear pro. The bullet is all copper I think with a nickel coating. If you are interested in it I would not waste any time, I'm sure it's on the list. The others you mentioned above I've also used with good luck too.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
My 45's are loaded with 230 gr HST's that you listed. $30ish per 50 from SGAmmo.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I stopped reading when I saw AR15.com......a complete cesspool of misinformation and hyperbole.
Sorry, Doc Roberts is not hyperbole and misinformation. And if you actually read the info at the link, you would have read this: "The source for much of this data comes from the excellent site FirearmsTactical.com. Take some time to dig around their website for more data and background information. All pictures, unless otherwise specified, belong to Doctor Gary Roberts, DocGKR."

1 - 20 of 79 Posts