FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is THE best AR for $800 or so? I don’t want opinions necessarly, All you guys out there that have 8 or 10 what is you favorite flavor? Are Armalite and Colt worth the extra dough?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Both Stag and Rock River are good rifles. They are very close as far as prices are concerned. I do believe that Stag follows a little closer to milspec though. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a STAG (CMT) lower with thier parts kit. It's been 100% reliable so far. I will admit that sometimes thier rollmarks/stampings for the serial numbers get a little messed up sometimes.........one of my numbers is "bolder" than the rest and it's a little out of line. But I'm a perfectionist. :roll:

Most people tend to rag on the deer head. I say "fear the deer."

You can find stag upppers with free ARMS 40 BUIS for around $515.....and I know of a place where you can get complete stag kits minus lower for $659 with the ARMS 40.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are Cavalry Arms any good? I don't know much about them, but I've read some reviews, not enough to make a sound judgment.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my opinion Colt and Armalite you pay for the name

Rock river or stag are fantastic rifles and will not let you down

ive owned a stag arms left hander and 3 different rock rivers
two entry tacticals and one DEA

they were all flawless, although rock river tends to be a bit heavier compared to some other ar15s, due to their overbuilt recievers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most all are excellent these days.
There are a couple major manufacturers that make the barrels and receivers for "most" all the other brands..

Personally I have/do own RRA, Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.

I prefer RRA, but feel like you can not go wrong with any of these:

RRA, Stag, S&W, Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt..

Even the low priced DPMS and Double Star rifles are very good. Usually Colt rifles do fetch a tad higher price based on the name...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well I got a s&w mp-15, and I am pissed it can not except the magpul mags. S&w claim their rifle is mil specs but its not (it looks like they added a extra lip) :cry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the DPMS, never had any problems with em. Have had Colt's and DPMS so not a lot of owner opinion on the others. I have built some DMPS from scattered/pieced together parts, all mismatch stuff (rob from peter to pay paul) and they all go together nicely. Only problem I've ever seen was a bent charging handle causing failure to feed/eject.

·
Registered
68 Posts
dpms

I built a DPMS from www.colemantyler.com and it came out to be 640 with tax.

16'' M4 Barrel (not chrome lined)
A3 Flattop
DPMS Lower
1 mag
1 sling

= complete gun for cheeeaaaap.

hope that helped a bit

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try http://www.lewismachine.net and price it up.

Unless you want me too but I would need a commission.

Remember that an M4 Type Bushmaster has an MSRP of more than $1,200 but they sell for a little less than that locally (well they do where I am) similarly an LMT may be available locally for a little less than listed on the website.

Have fun.

Cameron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts