FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What High Capacity Magazine .45ACP gives the "Best Bang for the Buck?"

I was looking in on another forum where this question was asked and couldn't help but reply as shown below...

WARNING: Strong Opinion Follows!

If that phrase is defined as the highest possible quality in workmanship, dependability, manufacturer support, accuracy, magazine capacity, features offered in the box, features offered on the gun, aesthetics, price ($500) and over-all shooting enjoyment value...

...Well, then I'm sorry, but I don't see ANYTHING out there that can presently beat the FNP-45 USG in all those categories.

The HK might come close in most of the considerations mentioned, but the price issue alone automatically throws it out of contention as it is in the $700+ range and only comes with 2 smaller capacity magazines.

Note: There are some that say the FNP-45's seem "large." This is an intentially engineered and designed double-stacked 15+1 rd .45ACP combat weapon made to be used by law enforcement and the military. It ain't ever gonna feel like a sleek 9-10 round 1911 race gun!

Please note the weapon in my hand. I have size 8.5 hands, which are only slightly larger than average, and it fits me perfectly.

(Men's Surgical Glove sizes: <7.0 = Small, 7.0-8.0 = Medium, 8.5-9.0 = Large, >9.0 = Extra Large)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree, and have posted similar threads on arf and SIG forum. The lack of ANY response to these posts leads me to believe that most people get the "eyes rolling into their heads blank stare look" that only comes from trying to prostelyze someone to something new (like FN's, christianity, and politics).

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yup, it's virtually impossible to break through the Holy Trinity of Sig/HK/1911 worshipers over at Arfcom. And then there are the fanatical Glockites.

:-D

The FNP series will get there in time. :?

Remember when people thought Glocks would never hold up because they are plastic? Actually I still hear that one sometimes. Was in the local fun shop in Toledo and heard a (very young) salesman tell a customer that a Sig was better than a plastic gun because in ten years the plastic gun would no longer work. Amazing the BS that goes down, just to sell a higher priced hand gun to an unsuspecting customer.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
BlitzPig said:
Remember when people thought Glocks would never hold up because they are plastic? Actually I still hear that one sometimes. Was in the local fun shop in Toledo and heard a (very young) salesman tell a customer that a Sig was better than a plastic gun because in ten years the plastic gun would no longer work. Amazing the BS that goes down, just to sell a higher priced hand gun to an unsuspecting customer.
I enjoy when some guy behind the counter tells m something like this. I suspect they don't think I know much about guns because I'm quite young, then I say something about the particular weapon I'm looking at and things change fairly quickly.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Very nice post sir! I'll grab a FNP when they start making them WITH night sights. I learned the first time around with the USP .45 :oops: I love it when people say polymer guns aren't as reliable durable referring to glocks and h&Ks... makes me :roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well remember the Glock was introduced back in 1986 for all practical purposes. Buy the time this FNP has been bought used and enjoyed by more people I'm sure opinions will include it in the poly tech discussions. Of particular note is the pricing. It is the best bang for the buck at this time. We all like what we like and sometimes are afraid to see the forest for the trees.

I remember seeing my first Model 17 and saying to many friends at the time that it was clearly the ugly step child of a mad man. Thinking the whole time that this would never sell. And of course we know it did. Well for my money the HK and the FNP have it all over the Glock in the looks department. Not too mention that Ole Gaston hasn't significantly changed anything on his pistol. They have just developed new models, that's all.

Now that said, I'm sure the Glock "kool aide drinkers" will say that Glock hit a home run with his first design and nothing needs to be changed. But I think "others" have seen this and tried to make a better pistol out of a poly design. And they have done it. Time and things like LEO acceptance will convert the deny everything crowd.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Remember - 1 reason Glock has so much of the market is the discounts they have given police depts. Also, they buy BACK the other brand of pistols.

That should tell U how little each pistol actually costs Glock after all these years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's right Ship.

They sure do, I guess that's one way to eliminate the competition rather than to just depend on the quality of the product strictly on it's own merit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fusileer 72 said:
That's right Ship.

They sure do, I guess that's one way to eliminate the competition rather than to just depend on the quality of the product strictly on it's own merit.
They're just doing business. They don't have any kind of impenetrable monopoly on LEO sales.
And I think the quality of their product is, ultimately, the driving force behind their unequaled success in both the LEO and civilian marketplace. If Llama had decided to sell their guns cheaply to law enforcement agencies and buy back the old ones, do you think THEY'D be where GLOCK is now? I don't.

:) I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker but I do acknowledge their innovation and their unparalleled contribution to the modern fighting handgun marketplace.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to agree with XMM on the business factor. Glock was a competitive business LONG before they were gun manufacturers and you can't fault their innovations. That said, I don't care for all the Glock models, but if one of them meets one's needs and the price is right, well then, "there you go." I have no complaints with my G23 whatsoever, but don't see any reason for me personally to own any other their models, either.

I looked over MANY .45ACP options before inadvertantly (serredipitously?) stumbling into an opportunity to get a the FNP-45 at discount. At first I figured, at the very least, I could resell it at a profit, but then I did more research and finally got it, handled it, fired it and I'm not giving it up.

Best Bang for the Buck?

Bet your sweet assets it is!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, some Glock fiends point to the wide use of it by LEOs, and then use that as an opportunity to put down any other brand but Glock. So, that is why I pointed out exactly WHY Glock is in such wide use.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be, Ship, a wide-spread case of enforced insecurity for some Glock owners.

There was (still are?) a small group of elitist 1911's owners that inadvertantly joined with some die-hard Service revolver users back in the late 80's / early 90's in attacking the whole polymer auto-loading concept in general and Glock in particular. Unfortunately, just as some Liberals launch quickly in personal attacks of name-calling rather that waiting for and using substative points of arguments, the Anti-Glock groups launched the "brick" and "ugly" name-callings that hit Glock users at a personal level. The end result seems to be that a large group of Glockers have circled the wagons, taking on an "attack first" attitude.

The important thing to remember is that no one in any of the three goups mentioned (1911, Revolver or Glock) represent all those that may own/use those weapons and no gun is ever going to make everyone happy, anyway.

You, personally, fight the best way (certainly better than I) on other forums by merely inviting those that may post "flamings" to merely visit this forum and talk to FNP owners over here. It's hard to snipe at that even in the heat of battle. We can all take a lesson or 20 from you on that score! :?

·
Banned
93 Posts
Glocks ARE blocky and ugly, but they can still shoot.

One thing no one can argue is the grip texturing on the FNP is about a thousand times better then the Glock. "Go Glock or go home" guys are always wrapping grip tape, houge grips, and doing (IMO) other nasty looking things to try and make the grip texture better.

Still, I dare you to find another polymer 10mm automatic pistol with a capacity of 16rnds. :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Ummm H&K FTW!! I have been told by glock fans that H&K's are bricks :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Ummm H&K FTW!! I have been told by glock fans that H&K's are bricks :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:-D :-D :-D :-D

Are you kidding? :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts