FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been hunting Public Lands for over 30 years. My goal has been to harvest a mature buck in this fair-chase style of hunting. Last week I took some time off of work to celebrate my birthday by doing what I love, and that’s hunting Whitetail Deer.
After seeing a couple legal young bucks over the weekend, and having nearly half-dozen Doe’s around me earlier in the day, I jumped a doe and saw another deer off in the distance behind it. I quickly shouldered my rifle to check for antlers. When I saw horns, the reticle settled on the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The buck collapsed and I immediately took off running to close the approx. 100 yards, as I didn’t know how well he was hit with all the brush in the woods.
When I walked up on this deer I was amazed at the body and antler size, as I had never taken one of this caliber. I plan to have him shoulder mounted, showing off his scars from fighting (3 cuts on the ear & 2 broken tines); I thought how fitting to take him with the SCAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice B’day present, what bullet/ammo were you using.
Thanks. I was using the Hornady Black 165 Grain Ballistic Tip. I didn’t realize how square I had hit him in the shoulder, I could see him still moving and struggling to get up, so I sent 3 more for good measure (in hind-sight they were not req’d but I was not going to lose this deer).
I dug this slug out of him and was impressed how it retained its weight and expanded.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Great looking buck! Good story telling too. Happy Birthday to you!

Are you running the factory gas jet, but in suppressed mode for shooting the Hornady ammo?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great looking buck! Good story telling too. Happy Birthday to you!

Are you running the factory gas jet, but in suppressed mode for shooting the Hornady ammo?

This is how I bought the rifle. You may have more insight on the setting. I’ve never had a problem with any Ammo that I’ve used.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, the 10 o'clock setting is technically the suppressed setting. Turning the knob up to the 12 o'clock position is the normal mode. I run mine like you do. This saves the normal setting for a dirty/fouled action. I find that old mil-surp ammo won't always function in the suppressed mode, but commercial .308 is higher pressure than old mil-surp, so it works great in the suppressed mode that vents off more of the gas pressure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, the 10 o'clock setting is technically the suppressed setting. Turning the knob up to the 12 o'clock position is the normal mode. I run mine like you do. This saves the normal setting for a dirty/fouled action. I find that old mil-surp ammo won't always function in the suppressed mode, but commercial .308 is higher pressure than old mil-surp, so it works great in the suppressed mode that vents off more of the gas pressure.
I've been shooting my Scar17s at the 12 o'clock non-suppressed setting, and I have been using Nosler Trophy Grade 308 Win 165 gr AccuBond ammo... The SCAR eats optics, and I did have to have Vortex repair my Razor HD Gen-II E 1-6 optic... Do you think running on the suppressed setting would reduce "recoil" or "recoil impulse" to the scope? I've never thought about running it on the suppressed mode.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Handsome bucks. I’ve never SEEN a buck during rifle season much less shot one. But I’ve never been taught to be a deer hunter and rarely go.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been shooting my Scar17s at the 12 o'clock non-suppressed setting, and I have been using Nosler Trophy Grade 308 Win 165 gr AccuBond ammo... The SCAR eats optics, and I did have to have Vortex repair my Razor HD Gen-II E 1-6 optic... Do you think running on the suppressed setting would reduce "recoil" or "recoil impulse" to the scope? I've never thought about running it on the suppressed mode.
I sure think so. It's been discussed around here a few times. Try the suppressed setting. All it does is vent more gas out of the gas block allowing less gas pressure to impact the piston. If your bolt locks open on an empty mag after firing the last round, you have enough gas.

That's one thing I love about the FAL. You can fine tune the gas system to the ammo being used. For the SCAR you can get gas jets from Parker Mountain Machine to fine tune your gas system too, just not as handy as turing the gas adjust ring on a FAL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the information. Evidently, that’s why the recoil is so lite, the muzzle seems to stay level and allow for quick follow-up shots, not to mention staying clean.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Blackened, checkout how the rifle recoils from firing (primary recoil) and the it recoils again (secondary recoil) when the bolt carrier slams into the back of the receiver.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/uS4uR_7ym6c?start=338[/video]

Adjusting your gas system to allow the bolt to travel all the back past the mag feed, but not impact the rear of the receiver will give you less recoil, less wear on the system, and be easier on optics. Then, if you fall in the mud with it, you can turn the gas knob back to 12 o'clock and keep firing with all the grim.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys I got the Scar Buck back from the taxidermist and I’m very pleased with it. After hunting Public Land for 30 years and missing about a dozen nice bucks for one reason or another, it’s a pleasure to walk by and see “SCAR” everyday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts