FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With recent advances in camouflage technology mostly due to involvement in the "sand box" I'm curious to know what camo choices are being made for the Southeastern US? I've read the DOD is leaning towards standardizing on Crye's MultiCam, having determined digital patterns aren't working as intended or advertised. Crye has introduced their Arid and Tropical patterns to complement their Original pattern which all appear to be better than my originally issued Woodland BDU's, which I still a few and actually still fit, believe it or not. Given the three choices below and not wanting to include hunting specific camo more universal, is there any preference or an alternative choice for the SE?

MultiCam Original
View attachment 22970

MultiCam Arid
View attachment 22971

MultiCam Tropical
View attachment 22972

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
No love for Kryptek?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. 1, didn't even know it existed -funny what discoveries one makes in here- and 2 is it battle tested?

No love for Kryptek?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't know A-TACS existed either, I just watched a few comparison videos with background environments closest to mine and it looks like MultiCam had the advantage, more video viewing to follow. Thanks....

I feel like the only reason Kryptek gets any attention is because of all the Travis Haley and Call of Duty fanboys. Personally the A-TACS options are a better all around choice. Of course that is all my personal opinion though.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I feel like the only reason Kryptek gets any attention is because of all the Travis Haley and Call of Duty fanboys. Personally the A-TACS options are a better all around choice. Of course that is all my personal opinion though.
Honestly I didn't even know Travis Haley sponsor it or that it's in Call of Duty. I was just picking them out of the Army finalists.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You can pick anything that you want out of the choices that have been displayed in the previous posts, but none of them are very good at concealment.

You need to look at the different areas of the region that you are in. Coniferous, wetlands, brushy, wooded, mountain.
These camouflages aren't tacticool enough to be seen wearing it at the range, but they will do far better than anything the military chooses.

realtree-camo-pattern-realtree-max-1-01.jpg realtree-camo-pattern-realtree-max-1-04.jpg realtree-camo-pattern-realtree-max-1-05.jpg

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
You can pick anything that you want out of the choices that have been displayed in the previous posts, but none of them are very good at concealment.

You need to look at the different areas of the region that you are in. Coniferous, wetlands, brushy, wooded, mountain.
These camouflages aren't tacticool enough to be seen wearing it at the range, but they will do far better than anything the military chooses.
Maybe OP wants flexibility of military camouflage? It's less specific than hunter camouflage because an AO can encompass anything from forests to urban environments.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

View attachment 22979 View attachment 22980 View attachment 22981
I wear this gear and I also wear Natural Gear. Their website is behaving weird but the product can be found at Midway and various other retailers. NatGear is the most versatile of any out there, no dark blotches, no pretty leaves or branches, just distortion of your outline which is the key. The hunting industry has been ahead of the military in regards to concealment for a long while.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not going for tacticool at the range, jeans and t-shirts have always been cool enough but I understand there are those...........

These patterns you show are geared more for hunting precisely what I'm not looking for, I'm looking for more a universal fit for my environment pattern if that makes any sense. I just ordered a pair of Tru Xtreme MultiCam pants to see how they work in my environment if no they get returned.

View attachment 22979 View attachment 22980 View attachment 22981

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly!

Maybe OP wants flexibility of military camouflage? It's less specific than hunter camouflage because an AO can encompass anything from forests to urban environments.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wear NatGear SPF shirts, they make good products at very reasonable prices.

I wear this gear and I also wear Natural Gear. Their website is behaving weird but the product can be found at Midway and various other retailers. NatGear is the most versatile of any out there, no dark blotches, no pretty leaves or branches, just distortion of your outline which is the key. The hunting industry has been ahead of the military in regards to concealment for a long while.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Nothing the military has will go from forests to urban environments that will offer concealment. The only thing that works in an urban environment is civilian clothing for that region. Military camouflage works
well at long distances, but it sticks out at short distances.

We have SWAT teams all over the country wearing Kryptek, A-Tacs and Multicam to kick someones door in. They aren't very well concealed standing next to a 5 ton armored vehicle. None of these uniforms
are going to work if you are going block to block trying to blend in.

Reactions: Donnie

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Military requirement for camo is very different from that of a hunter. Games don't wear NODs.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Nothing the military has will go from forests to urban environments that will offer concealment. The only thing that works in an urban environment is civilian clothing for that region. Military camouflage works

We have SWAT teams all over the country wearing Kryptek, A-Tacs and Multicam to kick someones door in. They aren't very well concealed standing next to a 5 ton armored vehicle. None of these uniforms
Might catch flak for this but I actually think ACU works pretty well as an all around camo. Sure, it's not perfect, but it works helluva lot more flexible than "real tree" camo of hunters.

Not sure what operator wannabes choose to wear has any relevance in this discussion.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
GB,

You need to take into consideration a few facts about my environment or AO if you will, there's precious little true "urban" in South Florida mostly heavily vegetated suburban in varying shades but not much in dark green even the structures are painted to blend in -it's a Florida thing. True, I could go ghillie suit perfect but that limits me to my direct AO where heading a few miles inland (West) the shades begin to brown, tan, gray and lighter green. I am looking for the best compromise for my environment one that would work a little further north not to mention the cost of quality camo gear, the Tru Xtreme pants I just purchased were $91.95, not so cheap. Provided unlimited funds I'd purchase the perfect thing for every occasion but I function under the less is more philosophy were best-fit compromise is the order of the day and decision making process.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I am not a big fan of ACU. Some contractor made a bunch of money, and our troops in Afghanistan paid the price.

I like Natural Gear...i think the OP has that right. Get a double sided shirt with something for the SE region and Natural Gear on the inside.

US_Army_in_Ghazni_Province_of_Afghanistan.jpg

Granted they should have chosen something better than walking through the middle of this field, but these guys can be seen for miles.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out the Tru Xtreme line from Tru Spec, lot's of pockets for storage and made very, very well meaning they'll hold up nicely if put to the test IMHO of course.

Might catch flak for this but I actually think ACU works pretty well as an all around camo. Sure, it's not perfect, but it works helluva lot more flexible than "real tree" camo of hunters.

Not sure what operator wannabes choose to wear has any relevance in this discussion.

Reactions: CPTdaz

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I am not a big fan of ACU. Some contractor made a bunch of money, and our troops in Afghanistan paid the price.

I like Natural Gear...i think the OP has that right. Get a double sided shirt with something for the SE region and Natural Gear on the inside.

View attachment 22983

Granted they should have chosen something better than walking through the middle of this field, but these guys can be seen for miles.
That's one example, they seem to work well in different surroundings.
Urban

Forest

Mountainous

And of course, grandmas house:

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grandmas house, now that's funny.... LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts