FN Herstal Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you guys recommend for the best possible scope for the SCAR 17? Originally I was getting the Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50, but it sounds like there are better options. Specifically, now I'm looking at the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 M2 or the Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 M1. For another brand, there's the Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x32 or the 5.5-22x56 NXS. What do you guys think?

I'm looking more for long-range obviously. I want to setup my SCAR 17S as a long-range gun as I've got my FS2000 with EOTech and 3X FTS for CQB. Would like something capable of allowing me to see a target at 1,000 yards, but also something at 50 yards, if that's possible.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Try the nightforce 3.5x15x50 with zero stop. I know it's overkill but I use it for hunting. Like you said you already have a CBQ weapon. So do I . Many.:th_653:

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Long range on a SCAR 17S? You have listed some good choices already. Any of those would work. But you said best for long range.... You might want to consider the Leupold Mark IV LR/T (Long Range/Tactical) with 3.5-10 x 40 Mil-Dot Reticle. You can get one with an illuminated reticle for around $1150, in FDE or black. Here's one on my Remington SPS Tactical bolt gun:

Turret closeup during scope installation and reticle leveling:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Try the nightforce 3.5x15x50 with zero stop. I know it's overkill but I use it for hunting. Like you said you already have a CBQ weapon. So do I . Many.:th_653:
Very nice! This one, right? 3.5-15x50 F1

That baby is almost as much as the rifle. Is it really worth it?

Also, why do you keep your safety off? I've noticed a few others do this too from their photos. Aren't they always supposed to be in Safe when not in use?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long range on a SCAR 17S? You have listed some good choices already. Any of those would work. But you said best for long range.... You might want to consider the Leupold Mark IV LR/T (Long Range/Tactical) with 3.5-10 x 40 Mil-Dot Reticle. You can get one with an illuminated reticle for around $1150, in FDE or black. Here's one on my Remington SPS Tactical bolt gun:

Thanks, Clyde! Like the leveling shot!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

Just happened to look at that model too Clyde on the Leupold site. Not as much power as the Trijicon and more money, but . . . ??? It has the raised turrets though.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
IMHO the best possible scope to put on a SCAR 17 is a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 BRT:

6x with a ranging reticle is just fine for shooting to any range the SCAR 17 is good for. For QCB light the reticle and crank it down to 1x. Optics are are good as money can buy.

I've had a 4.5-14 leupy mounted on both of my 17's and while good for load development etc. It just doesn't fit the rifle and it's best uses. I recommend against over scoping your 17............dj

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Very nice! This one, right? 3.5-15x50 F1That baby is almost as much as the rifle. Is it really worth it?Also, why do you keep your safety off? I've noticed a few others do this too from their photos. Aren't they always supposed to be in Safe when not in use?
Yes that's the one. Safety? I admire your keen eye for detail.:?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Very nice! This one, right? 3.5-15x50 F1

That baby is almost as much as the rifle. Is it really worth it?

Also, why do you keep your safety off? I've noticed a few others do this too from their photos. Aren't they always supposed to be in Safe when not in use?
They also make a version that is second focal plain and cost a little less, but the F1 is a incredible piece of glass

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I dont know about you but, I cant get the safety to engage without the hammer cocked. Its the same as an AR trigger group. The safety is actually really great on this design trigger. When the safety is engaged (cant fire), it mechanically blocks the sear ( I hope thats what thats called) from moving and letting the hammer free to slam and engage the firing pin, thus fire. If the safety is "on" the hammer is cocked, I dont leave it cocked until looking at the target. Yours and my FS2000 the safety is only in the trigger not the trigger pack. So it can be engaged independently of the hammer, cocked or not.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Why would anyone put a 2 pound, $2300 optic on a battle rifle like the SCAR? These scope threads are weird.

:th_confused0024:
While I think there is something to be said for overdoing it with optics, I also think that as long as someone makes an informed decision about what they buy based off the rifles capabilities and the intended job it is to fullfill then it is not out of line to put whatever they want on it. If it works for what they want then I see no problem.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
While I think there is something to be said for overdoing it with optics, I also think that as long as someone makes an informed decision about what they buy based off the rifles capabilities and the intended job it is to fullfill then it is not out of line to put whatever they want on it. If it works for what they want then I see no problem.
Some people take themselves too seriously. Lots of weapon experts on the boards. To answer their question I say because I wanted to, I can and I have the money. It's my weapon and I can put any optic on it I want to. Ain't freedom cool. I'm not going to go and roll around in dirt and play army with it. I use it to hunt. Took two deer with it this year. 180 yards and 240 yards. Bad ass scope. Put what ever you want on yours and I will put what I want on mine. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes what works for you is the best thing for you.

Reactions: Patton250

·
Administrator
12,119 Posts
Some people take themselves too seriously. Lots of weapon experts on the boards. To answer their question I say because I wanted to, I can and I have the money. It's my weapon and I can put any optic on it I want to. Ain't freedom cool. I'm not going to go and roll around in dirt and play army with it. I use it to hunt. Took two deer with it this year. 180 yards and 240 yards. Bad ass scope. Put what ever you want on yours and I will put what I want on mine. :mrgreen:
:th_ditto:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Being that the SCARs main advantage against the other 7.62 semiauto battle rifles is its weight combined with the fact that the gun experiences significant MOA shift at range, I would say going over a 6x battle scope isn't the way I would go.

If money isn't an issue, go with the Elcan SpectreDR in 1.5-6 with the 7.62 reticle. It will be more than enough for any battle rifle, be more durable and you can still spend the 2K+ you want to.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Another good choice^^^

Also, the Leupold Mk4 CQ/T is a really solid choice, and you can get those for sub 800 bucks all the time.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.