FN Herstal Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I ain't going to battle with it. Mine is very accurate out to 500 yards. It's just a fun gun to me to play and hunt with. If the zombies come I'll put a x6 on it ok.
Exactly. I've got a FS2000 with EOTech holo and 4X Magnifier on it. If zombies come and I need a bigger round for CQB, I'll take that optic system off the FS2000 and slap it on my SCAR 17 in all of about 20 seconds.

I want a scope because the SCAR can shoot way further than the FS2000 can and I'd like to have long-range capability; that's my purpose with it. I have no knowledge about extreme long rang shooting and have never done it so it seems like buying a true sniper rifle would just give me a tool that I don't know how to use. The SCAR seems like the perfect in-between. And I have no need for my SCAR being a CQB system right now with a FS2000 right next to it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
To me it's more like why would someone who lives in L.A. buy a Ferrari when a BMW would do. If you can't take advantage of the equipment's superior qualities, you're just trying to impress people.
In my world, never getting my car out of 2nd gear in stop 'n go traffic, or increasing the weight of a carbine by 20%, is opulence.
That's what LA highways are for! ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
To the OP, the SCAR is light and fast on target so IMO I would keep it that way as much as possible. The better your glass the better you can ID your target. I shoot out to 600 and can tell you 1st hand the 17 hit center mass all day at that range. (FYI My 17 will shoots .75-1" at 100 even after 60+ rounds). Now as for scope mag, I have tried both 4X ACOGs and 4X Hensoldt scopes (good glass) BUT both left me wanting more X. I'm getting ready to get some new glass just for the 300-600+ range. I've been looking for about 3 Mo now and I keep coming back to the NF 2.5-10 with OS RMR :?
Good to hear!

What's OS RMR? Is this the one you're talking about? COMPACT 2.5-10x32 NXS

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Then why are you on a firearms forum??? To have everyone agree with your inaccurate view of firearms, or to learn, share information, argue a bit, and ultimately gain knowledge.

And if you don't care, then why are you even bothering to respond???

The post asked a question, and it drew comments, honest ones from me. Can't give you anymore than that...sorry.
I thought I was specific. I don't care what YOU think. I knew a year ago when I put a x15 scope on my SCAR 17 that the SWAT team wannabees and "combat experts" would object. I like it and that's all that maters. The OP wanted opinions and examples. I showed him my setup. That's all.

"inaccurate view of firearms" what a snob! If I did'nt know better I think you wish you had a Nightforce Scope!

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Good to hear!

What's OS RMR? Is this the one you're talking about? COMPACT 2.5-10x32 NXS
That's the one. the only thing I'm concerned about is how well the velocity reticle is going to match up with the 17's 16.25" ballistics and the tunnel vision these scopes seem to have. OS RMR = Off Set red dot sight.

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
Yeah, I just leave the SCAR 17 cocked with the safety on (but no round in the chamber). Should I not be leaving it cocked while sitting in a drawer? Is it bad for the hammer or springs or such?
Metal fatigue is caused by the constant cyclic actions on the metal. Leaving it cocked will do no harm to it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I thought I was specific. I don't care what YOU think. I knew a year ago when I put a x15 scope on my SCAR 17 that the SWAT team wannabees and "combat experts" would object. I like it and that's all that maters. The OP wanted opinions and examples. I showed him my setup. That's all.

"inaccurate view of firearms" what a snob! If I did'nt know better I think you wish you had a Nightforce Scope!
And you still don't care huh? :-D

I own a NF scope, in fact I own two. They make outstanding optics.

You obviously have issues, so I will excuse the lack of civility that you have shown to a post that was initially not even directed at you. My point is that if you just want people to agree with you, well, then you are going to be pretty unhappy on a firearms forum where God forbid someone has a differing opinion than you.

And you were the one that said I had a better knowledge of weaponry, not me. I was just AGREEING WITH YOU. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
205 Posts
^^^Nice scope for sure. And I agree on the use.

I don't mean to sound incredulous to those that say they shoot under 1 MOA with the gun, its just I only hear that on FN forums. In my experience and that of shooters I trust, with individually loaded handloads, they are still above 1 MOA with the gun. That is all I can truly base my opinion on. That is pretty decent though for a battle rifle, just not for the price they want the 17s for IMO. I understand the allure though to the gun. It is light, unique looking, and not a ton of people have em.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I own a NF scope, in fact I own two.
I don't believe you.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all. I have an issue with people being condescending because they think others make stupid decisions concerning their firearms. There are a ton of guys like you over at M4 Carbine. Condescending so called "Experts". That's why I stopped posting there.

Try reading UziTalk and see how experienced NFA owners treat us noobs when asking questions about our FA SMG's. You might learn something. If not I suggest you hang out at M4.

Sorry to the OP.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
^^^Nice scope for sure. And I agree on the use.

That is pretty decent though for a battle rifle, just not for the price they want the 17s for IMO. I understand the allure though to the gun. It is light, unique looking, and not a ton of people have em.
You mean after all this you don't even own a SCAR 17?

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Wondering what you guys recommend for the best possible scope for the SCAR 17? Originally I was getting the Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50, but it sounds like there are better options. Specifically, now I'm looking at the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 M2 or the Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 M1. For another brand, there's the Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x32 or the 5.5-22x56 NXS. What do you guys think?

I'm looking more for long-range obviously. I want to setup my SCAR 17S as a long-range gun as I've got my FS2000 with EOTech and 3X FTS for CQB. Would like something capable of allowing me to see a target at 1,000 yards, but also something at 50 yards, if that's possible.

It depends on a number of factors such as the type of shooting you'll be doing most often, at what given range(s) and if you plan on squeezing every .0001moa out of the handload. Yes, if you want to achieve the apex in accuracy, you must also be fully prepared to remove all variables, whether they be in the weapon, ammunition, or your technique. Simply buying a quality optic will not suffice.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
flyingirish04 said:
I own a NF scope, in fact I own two.

I don't believe you.

:)

It IS possible to own a Nightforce Scope or two and still not think they are the best scope for the SCAR 17:

I actually DO think that one of the lower powered models with smaller objectives WOULD be excellent choices on a SCAR 17. In the end it boils down to what you want to use the rifle for. The SCAR 17 isn't necessarily the ideal long range sniper rifle, that's why they are hopefully coming out with the MK20 version. But the SCAR 17 is a very accurate rifle for what it is. Both of mine are as accurate as many bolt guns I've had though not to the level of a true long range sniper rifle.

And it's up to each individual to put whatever scope they want on each rifle. If you want to put a 20-60x72mm Hensoldt on your SCAR 17 go right ahead it's fantastic glass but I still don't think it's the best possible scope for a SCAR 17 and so it's up for discussion if you decide to do so.

All in all, let's please just talk about this stuff without acrimony,

You don't have to agree with Everything someone says to respect them.
You don't have to agree with Anything someone says to remain polite to them.

.................................dj

Reactions: Patton250

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

You are right DJ. Thank you for reminding me. Cool pic!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't believe you.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me at all. I have an issue with people being condescending because they think others make stupid decisions concerning their firearms. There are a ton of guys like you over at M4 Carbine. Condescending so called "Experts". That's why I stopped posting there.

Try reading UziTalk and see how experienced NFA owners treat us noobs when asking questions about our FA SMG's. You might learn something. If not I suggest you hang out at M4.

Sorry to the OP.

Ok, so you do care then. Gotcha. Glad we got that straightened out. So since you are raw about it, here is my rationale on my posts to you:

Check the tape Howard, the condescension began with you.

I gave my honest opinion, not even to you, but another poster. You responded though, rather hostily. That's all. You disagree with my opinion, great! We are on a forum!! Thats kinda the way it works.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You mean after all this you don't even own a SCAR 17?

Nope, I don't see a reason too. Why on earth would I own one having the opinions I have about it? That would be pretty dumb if I said I don't like the way it shoots, and then I go and buy one, wouldn't it??? Maybe if it were half the price I could rationalize owning one. Excited for the 20. Especially since my dealer buddy is getting a sample soon. Can't wait to put it up against the PSG.

·
Registered
205 Posts

It IS possible to own a Nightforce Scope or two and still not think they are the best scope for the SCAR 17:

I actually DO think that one of the lower powered models with smaller objectives WOULD be excellent choices on a SCAR 17. In the end it boils down to what you want to use the rifle for. The SCAR 17 isn't necessarily the ideal long range sniper rifle, that's why they are hopefully coming out with the MK20 version. But the SCAR 17 is a very accurate rifle for what it is. Both of mine are as accurate as many bolt guns I've had though not to the level of a true long range sniper rifle.

And it's up to each individual to put whatever scope they want on each rifle. If you want to put a 20-60x72mm Hensoldt on your SCAR 17 go right ahead it's fantastic glass but I still don't think it's the best possible scope for a SCAR 17 and so it's up for discussion if you decide to do so.

All in all, let's please just talk about this stuff without acrimony,

Which rig shoots tightest? Very jealous of your collection. Very nice. You shot any of the hensodlts? Only held one in my hand unmounted. Very nice, but almost think S&B makes better glass at first (and only) comparison. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I cant remember who said they were going to get the NF 2.5-10. That is going to be your best choice for this. (My opinion only not fact) I found that you can not have two things from one sight. The 10x will work great for the range, and the OS MRD (Mini Red Dot) is the tits. You have the long range magnification you need and then when it gets close you got the fast Red dot. Also if you want you could even go higher magnification but still keep the OS MRD. Then you can do both for cheap.

One other thing this thread is exactly why I love this forum over the other snob forums. If this was over at the other two it would have been locked by now. This forum is so great they actually let you go off and get all the way into the discussion. I do want to hear every complaint about a product or technique. It seems to save me some time and money down the road. Above all if I didnt like what was being posted all I have to do is not look. Thanks all :eek:

Reactions: Patton250

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Nope, I don't see a reason too. .
Than your opinion means nothing to me at least. :smile:This is the SACR 17 board. Perhaps you should go to a NASA forum and let them know what they are doing wrong with the space program. I'm sure you have as much in common with them as you do with SCAR 17 owners. However I doubt it would keep you from delivering an "expert" opinion.:th_071:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.