Spyro: Ripto's Rage- Better than you think it is
Devil May Cry-Action at its finest
Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening-Just as good as the first one
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence-Where it all began
God of War II-Taking out God's one at a time
Gran Turismo series-No other sim comes close
Resident Evil 2-The best RE game on PSOne
Resident Evil 4-The best RE on PS2
Ace Combat: Shattered Skies-Flying without the expense of paying for jet fuel or ordanance
Zone of the Enders: Second Runner-Big Machines, great story, big fun

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Sorry, I'm more for River Raid and the original Sim City :lol:
Ah... Sim City...

I always loved sending the aliens in to destroy everyone :D
I was a twisted child :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since I'm very bored and very awake, I'm going to make this a really long post. You have been warned.

This is an interesting topic with me. I've had PC access since I was 3, so I was very heavily exposed to PC games. I grew up on Learning Company games like Treasure Mountain and Treasure Cove, and eventually grew into things like Doom, Dark Forces, C&C, Fallout, Sim City/Copter/Island/Farm/Tower, Warcraft, etc. in my teens.

However, I never really had much access to game consoles. Occasionally, at other people's houses, a bit of Super Mario Cart, Jurassic Park, Jungle Strike... never really played any of the original Mario or Sonic games, and I've always SUCKED at fighers. Total button-masher. Didn't get my first console 'til I was 11 I think, which would be... 1998, and it was a Play Station. Thus, I didn't really get into console gaming until Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Tomb Raider II.

Eventually, both my computer and my console fell into obsolescence, and I almost fell completely out of the gaming scene. About 3 years ago I finally got a new computer, and the only other console I've gotten since then is the PS3. Thus, there's a somewhat large gap in my gaming experience. Also, I really only got the new console for Guns of the Patriots and Army of Two. If not for those, I'd probably have gotten a Wii.

Wasn't into the original Sim City (Classic, as it's now called), but I still play Sim City 2000 regularly. Also a big fan of the original Command & Conquer game and the first two Fallout games. Whether or not I'll like the 3rd installment of Fallout remains to be seen... I seem to be approaching it with the pretentious, cynical skepticism of a senior citizen scanning for a good radio station. We'll see though.

I like Half-Life and Halo but, as far as action games with epic story lines go, the Metal Gear series (spanning eight games, roughly speaking) is where it's at for me. I don't think anyone will ever create a character more full of awesome than Naked Snake.

And yes, I was one of those kids that was absolutely enamored with Final Fantasy VII. Honestly though, out of the three I've played (VII, VIII, and IX), VIII is by far my favorite. Which makes me a bit of a black sheep, since most people hate eight. Legend of Dragoon was another game in roughly the same category that I really liked.

I never really liked racing games that much, but the one that stood out to me and that I loved was Sled Storm for the Play Station. Snowmobiles are just that cool. Plus, the soundtrack was fantastic.

I've never been a big Resident Evil fan (the controls on 1 and 2 were just too difficult for me, didn't give the others the time of day), but #4 on my roommate's Wii has been many days of entertainment. Also I amazingly haven't ever touched any Silent Hill or Parasite Eve games. I'd really like to play the first Silent Hill now.

I was always a big fan of Tomb Raider, even though I sucked horribly at them. Seriously, those games are hard! The first one is the only one I've actually beaten all the way through. However, I just recently watched my roommate finish Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and now hacking away at Warrior Within. I can't help but think, "This is what Tomb Raider should have been." The puzzles and environments are very similar, but Prince is just a much better implementation of roughly the same style of game play (aside from the swordplay, anyway.)

The Mech Warrior series is another group of games that I loved, yet totally blew at.

For strategy games, Total Annihilation was one of my favorites but for first place I'm gonna pull a rather obscure reference: Warzone 2100. Anyone who actually knows what I'm talking about will probably agree. Metal Fatigue was almost as awesome, but had some very frustrating bugs that made it much less playable. Also, the original Command & Conquer and C&C: Red Alert games will always have a place in my heart.

And of course I love Portal. Who doesn't love Portal?

Now then; if I have to pick one game as being my absolute favorite of all time, it would have to be Deus Ex. The original one, of course, not #2. If you need me to explain why, then you haven't played it, and no amount of my typing would help you understand. Just go find a copy play it.

I am such a nerd.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm not much of a gamer at all, but over the years some of my favorites have been:

Madden '95 on SNES -- not really sure why
Top Gear on SNES -- at that time, the bar was set pretty low for racing games
Goldeneye on N64 -- who didn't get a kick out of that game?
The Medal of Honor series on PS2 -- pretty accurate weaponry, fairly realistic, easy enough for me to not get pissed off playing :x
Mercenaries, Playground of Destruction on PS2 -- kind of like a militant GTA

There have been other games that I've played the crap out of, but these are the ones that I either remember very fondly or will even still pick up from time to time, though I generally go months without touching a controller.

...oh, and the Gran Turismo games really get under my skin. The representation of American cars, especially "muscle" cars is entirely wrong. I think they could have also really used a real drag strip with competition.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
YOu will get a long hisory of gaming out of me all the way back to Pong.

In 2001, or was it 2002, I got back into gaming and started playing online multiplayer over XBOX live. Now I own a 360.

Single player games are nice and I enjoy them, but multiplayer is where it is at. Single player games are simply no challenge to me any more.... or are insanely boring. All they can do is make the artificial intelligence faster, more accurate, or overpowered. That gets old quick.

A bank of human players on the opp-for (opposing force), especially when I have a team of buddies, is absolutely great.

Now, I have done some PC multiplayer games and it is absolutely NOT the same. The custom mods and stuff are great, but cheating is rampant. There are pockets of good players here and there, but overall, PC gaming is what it is. A lot of mods, but a ton of cheating. No regulation, no consistency in friends over hundreds of games.

XBOX 360, while it does have its share of snot-nozed kids, is incredibly easy to use and build a list of friends. We play Call of Duty and various other games and rarely have the poor experience you get on PC gaming.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of thousands of gamers on the 360. There are so many multiplayer gamers in the online shooters that I would bet that there are more mature gamers looking for an adult experience on 360 that there are guys playing multiplayer shooters in the entire PC market. Yeah, that includes Counter Strike.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I graduated high school in 1979. We didn't have computers in school but the kids a year or two behind us did. I was concerned about having a hard time in the job market because they would have skills that I didn't.

I was spending a lot of time and quarters on Pac-Man and the like. So I decided to take my quarters and spend them on a computer instead. I would get to play games all I wanted and learn about computers at the same time.

I went to Radio Shack and applied for a credit card and bought a CoCo2 (Tandy Color Computer Two). I played Night Flight and Dallas Quest on it. But I soon realized that what I needed was an IBM PC clone because all the good games were IBM compatable. So I returned the CoCo and got a Tandy 1000 with a 8086 chip and a whopping 2.7 mhz of speed. One 5 1/4 floppy drive. I soon added another 5 1/4, then 3 1/2", then finally a 10 meg HardCard (hard drive) I even added a 80286 daughter card and doubled the processor speed. Whoo-hoo!

I played dozens of games on that thing and the computers that replaced it over the years. KampfGruppe, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Battle of Britain, Might and Magic, StarFlight, Silent Service, Wolf3d, Doom, Red Alert C&C, etc...

Now I have an XBOX so Halo and Medal of Honor Frontline get the most playing time. I could never pick a favorite I liked them all.

I could fire up Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe right now and spend a couple hours on a mission easily. Great game. After sitting here typing about gaming I have an urge to play Frontline again. I love the snipping scenes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really have to say that the Metal Gear Solid series has been great along with the Grand Theft Auto, and Halo series. Call of Duty Modern Warfare is one of my favorite games to play online against other people. Gears of War has to be my favorite game from the past few years. It's pretty cool that Gears of War 2 is coming out next week.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I had an old Atari (that RiverRaid game I mentioned) when they first came out. Later got the 1st Neitendo.

Also, I got a Tandy 1000 computer in 1988. First DOS computer that had DOS on a chip in the computer. No need to use a floppy to boot.

I had many games on that old PC before I later moved up to a 386, then a 486, then a Pentium 90. Used to play all sorts of games on those computers.

Also, at the arcade as a teenager - I loved 1942 and Heavy Barrel.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ummm that last metal gear solid for ps3 was freaking amazing!!! Bioshock should be on the list for any platform as well and i could keep going....

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iCeMaN said:
ummm that last metal gear solid for ps3 was freaking amazing!!! Bioshock should be on the list for any platform as well and i could keep going....

Don't have a PS3 yet. Keep buying guns/ammo instead :-D

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Priority's being what they are....but that goes for me as well

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Anybody remember Road Rash?
I enjoyed that.

My favorites are the Splinter Cell series, Ghost Recon, and for online multi-player-CoD 4

·
Registered
373 Posts
Red Alert 2, Battlefield 1942 with Desert Combat Mod, All the Half-Life series, The first 2 in the Call of Duty series that I got to play, Star Craft, Halo-Halo 2, Company of Heros, etc.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
dont forget about ra3 360 >ps3

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My favorite FPS's were Red Faction, the original, where you could blow up practically anything and the belt fed machine gun rocked! Halo, Halo 2, Doom series was good as well. Medal of Honor will be a classic in my book.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
RF was the BEST!! I owned it online!! :?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I liked playing against the "bots" on Hard and hiding in a room and sniping them with the rail gun through walls! :-D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts