FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A lot of members like to shoot some type of match 168 grain bullet to see what their rifle is capable of. I shot some 180 grain hunting loads last fall and my 17 seemed to really like them. I'd just try shooting a few different bullet weights and brands and see what your rifle likes the best in the accuracy dept. If you reload you can makeup your own load but 300 yards really isn't that far so any bullet will do that from a 17 just how accurately it will do it is another question all together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. A lot of members like to shoot some type of match 168 grain bullet to see what their rifle is capable of. I shot some 180 grain hunting loads last fall and my 17 seemed to really like them. I'd just try shooting a few different bullet weights and brands and see what your rifle likes the best in the accuracy dept. If you reload you can makeup your own load but 300 yards really isn't that far so any bullet will do that from a 17 just how accurately it will do it is another question all together.
Thanks d762nato

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
168 grain. But you need to try different ammo to see what works best in your rifle.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
168 seems to be the most repeatable in terms of POA/POI out of the 13" barrel for me, doesn't seem to matter if its FGM, PRIVI, Silver State or Black Hills...they are all pretty close and consistent. Try a few different flavors until you settle in on what you like. The problem is once you find the sweet spot in terms of weight you will not want to move down in weight just to save a few $$$ because I think you will see a noticeable different in POA/POI shift at 147 or 149, etc...at least I did with the 13" barrel assembly. Good shooting.

·
Registered
983 Posts
168gr SMK is fine at short ranges (inside 500yds etc.)
I'd recommend something else if you're shooting further. AMAX, 175SMK, etc. there's a number of good choices.

As always, every rifle may favor a slightly different charge etc. so test for yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been experientially using Hornady 150 FMJBT over 748 and 4064.....none have been satisfactory.... 748 42.0/43.0/44.0/45.0/46.0/47.0/48.0/48.5.....however 42.0 of 4064 has been better...the rifle definitely likes 168 or 175 bullets....they shoot 1" using 4064

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts