FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One method of carry I recommend against is the appendix inside-the-waistband (AIWB) method. It’s been made popular among a lot of younger folks and is basically “Mexican” carry in the front of one’s body on the belt using a holster.

It is fairly comfortable, and conceals well while providing fast access to draw and present the gun when it’s time to shoot.
The downside is that pesky gun safety rule #1: Keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

A safe direction isn’t your femoral artery running down your leg.
All it takes is a moment of distraction, confusion or – in colloquial terms – having a “brain fart” and a negligent discharge may well end your life.
It happened at a top-notch training group’s class in Northern Illinois in March. It was an instructor development course attended by about ten veteran instructors. It had been a long, tiring day and everyone was “gunning up” before going out to dinner.

One of the female instructors was distracted talking as she was gearing up with her appendix carry rig. Not paying attention, something got inside the trigger assembly – probably her finger – and the gun went “bang” when she pushed it into the holster.

Those around her were well-versed in the tactical treatment of gunshot wounds – and well-equipped.
In fifteen seconds they had two tourniquets on her.
She still almost bled out.

More: BEWARE: Appendix Carry | GunsSaveLife.com

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Good post. I hope she fully recovers. If I may quote a line from an old Police Show some of u may remember, Hill Street Blues...."Hey ! Hey ! Hey hey hey hey ! .... Let's be careful out there".

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Precisely the reason I would NEVER carry Appendix, far too many variables many of which could lead to life altering or ending outcomes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Let us not forget Tex's "I just shot myself" vid showing an outside the waistband negligent discharge. Mishandling a firearm is dangerous in any situation. This should scare no one away from appendix but to just reinforce the 4 golden rules.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I carry my FNX-45 appendix in a custom AIWB rig. Though I do admit the double-action trigger and manual safety are a bit more comforting than sticking a Glock or M&P there. Do you have a link to the actual news article on this, or more details? A Google search turned up absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really don't see how people appendix carry comfortably. I had a friend claim up and down that his supertuck holster set up for appendix carry was the most comfortable way to carry. Not for me. Being a lefty, I carry between 7 and 8 o'clock, unless I'm wearing a jacket at which point I'll carry at 9 o'clock or just a little forward of that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good post. I hope she fully recovers. If I may quote a line from an old Police Show some of u may remember, Hill Street Blues...."Hey ! Hey ! Hey hey hey hey ! .... Let's be careful out there".
"she bled out".....she won't recover from that.

I sometimes carry AIWB....depending on circumstances...obviously a personal choice. YMMV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I appendix carry everyday in 11clock position in a quality holster. It works best for me. Keep your booger hook off the trigger and you'll be fine. Practice, practice and more practice is best for any which way to carry your firearm.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm not tall enough for AIWB to be comfortable, so no dilemma for me. Some of the folks who've been injured or worse due to ADs have been pretty darned accomplished shooters. While we all should train regularly, I think AIWB requires a little added attention. But if AIWB is what someone works with best, then they should do what works best for them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Too close to my manhood for comfort. My P2000 is comfortable enough at the 4 o clock position.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really don't see how people appendix carry comfortably. I had a friend claim up and down that his supertuck holster set up for appendix carry was the most comfortable way to carry. Not for me. Being a lefty, I carry between 7 and 8 o'clock, unless I'm wearing a jacket at which point I'll carry at 9 o'clock or just a little forward of that.
I too am a lefty and carry just as you stated. I've competed with firearms most of my life and have seen VERY knowledgeable pros have an AD and watch it change their world and everyone else's around them. The COMMANDMENT of don't let the muzzle point at anything that you don't want to destroy REALLY speaks loudly when you see a 16 year veteran trainer have an Accidental Discharge down the outside of his leg and perfectly cut the entire pant leg down to the ground and just graze him to were he only needed 5 stiches on the side of his foot. Having my Sig, HK, or any number of handguns I own and carry go down the front of my pants is just an absolute "No Thank You" for me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I totally understand the potential issues...but for me, appendix carry just fits better than any other options. I use the suede Galco iwb...have for years with several handguns. Daily carry is the CZ 2075.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I mostly pocket carry a Shield 9 now but AIWB works great for me too. Being slim and fit and wearing snug fitting t-shirts a firearm in a remora is invisible. If you're very careful, aware and confident do it if you like it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I'm carrying my FNX or anything DA/SA with a manual safety, I'm confident in the AIWB carry. If I'm carrying a Glock or M&P where the only safety is on the trigger, I'm less likely to trust it since the safety is also in the same spot my finger would be if I'm about to have an accident.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts