FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When searching for and purchasing assault-style rifles, do you always prefer black or some other color?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Depends. I like Black on AR15 and FAL's. And wood furniture on SKS, AK47, and Naggants.

I am considering taking an AR and putting tan stock and grips on it.

TA

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tan (and green) setups look very nice, particularly with the right accoutrements (i.e., optics, vertical foregrip, laser/flashlight combos, etc.).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like black on AR's. I like a wooden stock set on a FAL or an AK. For mostly plastic(AUG PS90 FS2000) I like a green,tan or dark earth, anything but black.

Saw a wooden stock AR once, I appreciated the artistry, but it looked funny to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had mostly black ARs for a long time because that is the only available color back then.

My AKs are wood and one of them with red plastic sidefold.

I got two AUGs back in '89 before the import ban, a 16" and a 20" both with the standard green stock, a couple of years ago I got a black M16 NATO conversion stock for my 16" AUG.

Also about two years ago I built my first tan AR and now I'm currently building a precision AR and I'm going to make it with green furniture.

I like different color rifles. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am all about the black stocks. I don't care of the green or tan myself. I have one HK USP with a green frame and thats about the only thing I think I will ever get in that color. The wife just had my build her an AR and went with green and it turned out nice, but its not for me.

I am struggling with the possibility of not getting in on the first run of Microtech Augs and even though I am sure I could get in on the green or tan, I REALLY REALLY want a black and would rather pass and look later than get one of the other colors. It's gotta match my PS90 & FS2000. All black baby :shock:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Standard vs Tactical

I'm not sure if I have understood correctly but when I looked the Standard and Tactical specifications on FNH USA's page I understood that Standards are matte black and Tactical's would be Olive drab green.
There were only these colour choices in the specifications.

Please correct me that I'm wrong, it would be good this time
(wouldn't surely not be the first/last time :oops: )

·
Registered
350 Posts
i like em the way they come from the factory

not much of a modifier

i dont think it matters what color is, its just going to tactically sit in your closet

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still open

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could answer:

1. Are Standards available ONLY in matte black?

2. Are Tactical's ONLY availabe in Olive drab green?

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Still open

Rynchester said:
It would be greatly appreciated if someone could answer:

1. Are Standards available ONLY in matte black?

2. Are Tactical's ONLY availabe in Olive drab green?

Thanks
The Tactical version of the FS2000 is available in both colors. It seems they do a production run in one color for a bit and then switch to the other. That said, most of the ones I have seen are black even though the initial ones were olive drab.

Regarding the Standard, I have only seen black ones so far, but given FN's track record I would suspect an olive drab one is on its way (at some point).

-Personally, I'm hoping they will do a series with a Flat Dark Earth colored stock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks BD.

Would like to buy green Standard but if those are not yet on the market and no one knows when (if) will be so probably will have to buy green Tactical model instead.

·
Registered
520 Posts
seems to me everyone is starting lean away from green and go to either black only or black and dark earth.

i am green man myself. :?

·
Administrator
11,355 Posts
I have a green PS90, a black FS2000, a walnut stock Arisaka, Savage 300, Winchester Model 94, a walnut stock chromed Winchester Model 94, a silver .357, a silver under black PA63, a black FsN, a black H&K SD9, blah blah blah...

I buy a firearm based on performance. Color is the least of my concerns. If the darn PS90 only came in orange, I'd have one of those in orange because I like the performance characteristis. Color is incidental (well maybe thats a stretch) but you get my point.

If the damn thing was pink and it was being outlawed tomorrow, I'd have a pink one too.

Sometimes you forgo the color if you can get a decent deal. When all the PS90s were black and selling for 1400+, I got a green one because it was less expensive then the black one. It performs the same as a black one.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Not being a fashion magnet, so my personal opinion on colorings other than black or wood color for wood stocks are that they are just marketing gimics. I see no good reason to buy a green, brown, orange, pink or purple gun. It serves no function in the gun performance and if a certian color is needed for camo reasons, a $2 dollar can of flat spray paint well fix that.

On the issue of NVG's being able to pick up black guns, let me say this. If a Bad guy breaks into my house wearing a pair of NVG's I welcome them trying. Cuz after I shoot him, I'm keeping his $3,000 dollar pair of NVG's.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I prefer Black or Good wood on my guns. Black guns mean plastic or polymer, and that means I don't have to worry as much about getting it dirty or banged up. I'm always careful not to drag it thru the mud or thickets, but dings happen.

@devildoc

If someone breaks into your house wearing NVG's, I don't think they're coming for your jewlery or expensive artwork. They'll probably be in mass numbers and you won't be able to see because of the 2 or 3 FB's they'd likely use before entry. Besides, they'll most likely be screaming some iteration of a three letter name... FBI, CIA, ATF or such. (hehe just poking fun).

Zhur

I'd love a pair of NVG's, but a decent pair can run $3k and more.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Besides, they'll most likely be screaming some iteration of a three letter name... FBI, CIA, ATF or such. (hehe just poking fun).
None taken,

I too would like a pair of NVGs even though they have a very limited use.

·
Registered
156 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
If the damn thing was pink and it was being outlawed tomorrow, I'd have a pink one too.
Are you sure?

Yes, coloring can be used as a marketing gimmick since you can take some paint to the rifle and be done with it. However, we don't live in the days of Henry Ford where we can have any color we want so long as it is black. These are being sold to the civilian marketplace where all kinds of considerations come into play.

I've seen someone buy a Glock because the number part of the serial number was 007. A friend of mine bought one of the first FS2000 rifles in the country and dyed it black. However, after the market became saturated with black ones and everyone had a black one, he wanted a green one.

For many people, purchasing a gun is an emotional purchase. Giving people a choice of colors is just smart when you are competing for dollars in a crowded marketplace. As far as concerns about night vision visibility go, if you have an individual or individuals coming after you and they have the financial/logistical support to be equipped with night vision gear, you've got bigger problems than what color (Black, OD, Coyote, or Pink) shows up more with NVG.

·
Registered
249 Posts

If lived where this color scheme would serve some purpose, I'd do my AR like this. With a black P-mag of course. :D

BTW: I love how they did the barrel in FDE and the flash hider (which should be a vortex) in Black.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts