FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that the answer is no. That is, until this showed up today:

:D

I really wanted to have the manual safety so I ordered an FNP-9 USG from my Uncle (who is in another state) since they aren't available locally. When he received it, he told me it was black/black and not black/FDE. I was a little concerned that I was going to pick the thing up from the FFL and find that it only had the decocker. Well, to my surprise, when I opened the case there was a bright red dot above the decock lever. I'm not knocked out with FDE so this is definitely a good thing.

I learned a couple of things here: 1) I should trust my Uncle. 2) I'm confused about the FNP model line up again. Just when I thought I knew what was available this weapon falls into my lap and I'm a bit confused again. Happy, but confused.

So what's the deal? This weapon was test fired in March of this year, but it certainly is not is this year's catalog. Am I the proud new owner of a mistake or an early in the year change of mind? Is this some sort of rare weapon that I can sell on ebay for ten grand? Perhaps it is not a USG model at all, and this is just what the FNP lineup will look like for now on (Good idea in my opinion) :p

At any rate, this will go well with my SS/black FNP-9 (now the Wife's gun) and I can get rid of my XD9.

One other note. The FN case for this weapon is huge. My SS/Black FNP came in a small, slim case. That one was test fired in August of 2007. I'm guessing these large cases are new? Or are they reserved for the USG models?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but that is awesome. On the FNH website when you click on the pictures of the FNPs the pop up is a picture of the USG w/o FDE. You think you could find out from your uncle how he came across it? I really wanna get a USG but I want the all black. I'm not a fan of the FDE.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured someone would ask, but I forgot to ask him where, how, or if he could get a few more. I know they don't stock these at his shop. I'll send him an email and see if he's willing to sell a few more of these to anyone that may be interested here. (they aren't exactly in dire need of the business right now, and the Obusyness may be a bit too much). It's also possible that some of the site vendors can get a hold of these. Hopefully they'll chime in with some info. I can tell you that the price wasn't fantastic, even coming from a family member. I would have spent about the same amount buying from some of the vendors on Gunbroker, but on Gunbroker, I would have had to settle for FDE.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It looks like they standardized the cases. That looks like the same one as my 45's , just more room in yours.

Nice lookin pistol.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
My USG case is much smaller (FDE one).

It is definately a USG version because of the safety/decocker switch AND the serrations on the front of the slide.

I think you probably have one of the first ones released with this frame color. Mine was testfired in 2007 but wasn't sold till June '08 (not sure when it got to the gun shop, but I don't think it had been there very long).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I saw a similar FNP-40 in a NorCal shop two weeks ago. I had decided I did not want the manual safety, however, so I passed. I never saw the case so I don't know if it was the same as yours or not. The dealer didn't make any comment about it being anything special so I don't know that it was any harder to get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, for what it's worth, this thread was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. It's also a bit of a PSA that there are other options available for someone looking for the manual safety but not an FDE grip (the problem for those people would now be how to track these down). Seeing that I had settled for the FDE grip I am definitely pleasantly surprised that this pistol showed up at my front door. Yes, the catalog does list many different options for the 45, but the 9 and 40 models with manual safety are restricted to the USG variants with the FDE grip (according to the catalog). Also, the USG models, even in the 45, are the only models with the front slide serrations. So I'm simply passing on the good news (in my opinion, of course) that the catalog is not accurate and that other options exist. I also was hoping that someone in the know would chime in with a little background information behind these USG variants. I suppose it's possible that these pistols are part of the 2009 line up, which would be nice. At any rate, I will definitely enjoy what I have received. Don't let my curiosity make you think otherwise, I simply have a tendency to inquire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
http://www.jnjsmokewagons.com/?p=price_list&manufacturer=Fn+(handguns)

This list has the part numbers (*may be outdated) but does indeed show USG stainless and matte options. I for one will be trying to get my hands on a USG stainless 9 in the next 2 weeks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it seems that the USG models are available in all finishes, but are not advertised. Fair enough. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess it's good to know they exist. I'm curious to see if you'll be able to find the stainless USG.

Anyway, range trip on Monday. I'm can't wait to try out the new hole punch :)

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
harbinger007 said:
According to the catalog description of the FNP-45 mentioned in this thread http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=11837, the USG also has a slim slide and there is a model listed with the manual safety that doesn't have USG in the description. Might be better off to just enjoy what you have instead of get confused about it! :)
The 45 is the only USG with a slim slide. The 9 and 40 do not. I now that much about them at least :lol: According to the catalog, the 45 USG is lighter than the standard, but with the 9 and 40, the USG is slightly heavier, which would indicate no slim slide.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, I don't have a catalog and they are nowhere to be found here in California with all of the frenzied shopping! Catalogs actually seem more scarce than ammo and handguns. My gun shop even said he'd have no trouble getting me a P99 A/S. :)

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
harbinger007 said:
Okay, I don't have a catalog and they are nowhere to be found here in California with all of the frenzied shopping! Catalogs actually seem more scarce than ammo and handguns. My gun shop even said he'd have no trouble getting me a P99 A/S. :)
:lol:

Wish-list shopping I suppose.

There is an online catalog (with some cool pictures) with a link in the upper right hand corner under "SITE QUICK LINKS" It is right above FNF NEWS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guilty as charged! I can't take delivery of another handgun until January 4th, so I have plenty of time to work on my "list". :lol:

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would be delighted to find one of those. I wouldn't care about the frame color and for now till I get one I would like a DE version because there just aren't any here in the St. Louis area. I see it as a damn shame that 007 is relegated to one gun a month living in California. My Son is a Marine stationed at Miramar and he complains about that too.

It's funny that things out there are so much different. (Though No Surprise) It's been like that for years. And the list of available weapons on the Cali DOJ list just makes me cringe as I feel Heussin might try to adopt that sort of regulation under the guise of as he states it ("Reasonable Gun Control")

Here in Missouri in one day I can drive to five different gun shops buy a gun in each shop fill out the 4473, go through the required NICS check and walk with the guns without even filling out a multiple purchase form.

Now as long as I can pass the background check easily and am not a felon, (Not even a parking ticket in the last 14 years.) then I feel like that is "reasonable gun control." Don't you?

Our guns don't contribute to the crime rate and I feel like we should make lots of noise before we get sold up the river even further by the likes of Obama Chuck Schumer and the author of the Clinton Weapons ban Joe Biden. Join a local club with NRA affiliation.

Heck join the NRA.

They even if you don't agree with everything they do is about our only voice in our rights under the Second. If nothing else send a couple of bucks to the NRA ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) They helped to win the Heller case in the corrupt District of Columbia. As well as get the guns returned to people in New Orleans confiscated by Mayor Ray Nagin.

Sorry to Hijack this thread ! My appologies to everyone ! But I see RED every time I hear about such silly rules.

NRA annual Member since 1962 - Life Member since 1977
Our Strength is in our numbers along with our voice.

::FF::

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, Fusileer, I'm with you.

This is the first (but not only) gun forum I've registered at and I was hesitant to use this old I.D. of mine and here you go calling me 007. My I.D. is an odd combination of a couple of things I don't need to get into here, but I'd just like to make it clear it has nothing to do with James Bond! :lol: That doesn't prevent me from buying a Walther, I hope! ;)

I don't defend the crazy laws in California one bit but I can admit to seeing some logic behind it (though mis-guided by penalizing everyone for the perceived threat). Without the law, I can imagine someone with a clean record buying several handguns in one day to turn over to some gang members. They don't seem to have any trouble getting guns, though, so the law really only applies to us law-abiding citizens.

Tell your son "thanks" for putting up with our laws. At least he's got nice weather down there!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can sure understand how you feel. We had here last summer a guy out buying for gang members and trading the guns for METH. He ended up with 13 counts of selling to known felons and a pile of problems with ATF and the Circuit Courts here. They threw the book at this guy 30 years and fines he will never be able to pay.

This is what should happen EVERY time they find these scum buckets. We have enough laws. Lets just enforce them with tough sentancing guide lines and make examples out of a bunch of these people and that will help send a message. And then further see to it that he can't hire a dream team of attorny's and plea to a deal. Get tough with them ! That will make a difference. With regard to my son He is glad and proud to serve us. He is probably going to re-up next year but is exploring a different duty station some place away from Gov. Arnold. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the kind words.

Damn there I go hijacking again.... lol

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts