FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is another active thread in this subforum about a Cap and Ball Question..

However, as much as I am a super fanatic about handguns, and have been since I was a teen... I know ZERO about black power rifles and pistols. So, I have a few questions on how they work.

I know the concept of the single shot musket. But how do this multiple shot black powder rounds work - especially the revolvers.

I have seen sabots and other stuff for sale in the Midway USA catalog. Do you load each chamber with a mixture of black powder, and put the "round" in the front of the chamber?

These revolver black powder guns. How long does it take to load all the cylinders? Are their black powder rifles that shoot more than 1 round w/o having to reload? If so, how do those work?

·
Vendor
5,617 Posts
Hey Ship. I'll try and keep it simple

I have seen sabots and other stuff for sale in the Midway USA catalog. Do you load each chamber with a mixture of black powder, and put the "round" in the front of the chamber? Yes

These revolver black powder guns. How long does it take to load all the cylinders? as fast as it takes for you to pour the correct amount of powder into the cylinder and put the bullet/ball into place and then ram the ball into place by using the press lever. you have to do this for each chamber. befor you fire the gun you put the caps on the nipples so when the hammer hits the caps the spark goes through the hole in the nipple and into the chamber ingniting the black powder and propelling the ball.

Are their black powder rifles that shoot more than 1 round w/o having to reload? If so, how do those work? No

They actually did make some rifles that looked like big revolvers. or had multiple barrels like the Gatling Gun.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Also, some cap-n-ball revolvers it is very easy to remove the cylinder and put a new one in... so an old fashioned speedloader was just an extra loaded cylinder... drop loading lever, pop out empty, put in full, re-lock loading lever

As a note, one of the things done to prevent the flash of one round setting off remaining charges was to put some grease/lube on the front of the cylinder.

·
Registered
164 Posts
M1P90 said:
Are their black powder rifles that shoot more than 1 round w/o having to reload? If so, how do those work? No
Not entirely true. You have to remember that even after cartridges came out they were still being loaded with black powder. The 1873 Winchester was a black powder firing rifle. Although modern replicas by the Italians can handle smokeless many of the cowboy action shooters load black powder to be authentic. The Spencer and the Henry were both multi shot rifles and they were used with black powder cartridges during the civil war.

I think what you meant is there are not very many examples around of weapons of the cap and ball era or before that are multi-firing. But they did exist.

·
Vendor
5,617 Posts
very true RiverRat. I was under the impression Ship was refering to the non-cartridge type. But yes, they did make cartridges with black powder. :?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ship on the question of a multi shot black powder gun, the answer is yes

1509 wheel gun was one of the first I beleave, I think the one I saw on display was a remake of king charles pistol. But there have been inventors that have made multi shot black powder weapons, I think Ethan Allen even made one. The problem with most of the designs is that they are very dangerous, meaning sometimes they blow up or fired ignited all the powder stored at once.

I have a Brass coach flintlock pistol that fires 45 cal lead ball. Kicks like a mule.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How complicated is it to get into this?

U buy the gun - the black bowder - some sort of blasting cap/spark and the ammo? Put it in the right combination and that is it (I'm referring to those old black bowder, 6 shot revolvers).

Then, clean it afterwards?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Also, some cap-n-ball revolvers it is very easy to remove the cylinder and put a new one in... so an old fashioned speedloader was just an extra loaded cylinder... drop loading lever, pop out empty, put in full, re-lock loading lever
Watch the Movie The Outlaw Josey Wales starring Clint Eastwood
This how he fast reloads his pistols.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ship yes you buy the no. 11 caps, pyrodex or black powder I like shooting 2FF black powder. Then you either buy a pre-measured spout for your black plowder flask one that is matched to the grains recomended to shoot in the pistol, or a plack powder measurer to load your pistol I personally like the flask. you turn it upside down open it to let powder out with your finger over the spout then close flask and the charge has filled the spout ready to drop into your cylinder. Then load ball and use the loading rod to seat it . Put a dap of lube over that to cover the cylinder hole so you get no double firing and lubes the projectile. Pretty simple and fun.
the worst part is cleanig but with a sink full of hot water and dishwasing soap it is not that bad.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No I haven't but, that will work! Used a hair dryer on em a couple of times. Usually I have the water so hot they dry out fast because the metal is so hot. A pair of jersy gloves keeps you fingers from getting toasted! A compressor with an air nozzle works good blowing the water out. If you don't have that you can use a can of compressed air from the office supply store that you would use to blow off your keyboard.

·
Registered
156 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts