FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one carry black talons in CCW ? thoughts ideas? I have had a few boxes but dont carry them for the B.S factor but i would like to.

·
Registered
431 Posts
abpt1 said:
Does any one carry black talons in CCW ? thoughts ideas? I have had a few boxes but dont carry them for the B.S factor but i would like to.
I carry Winchester Ranger SXT Bonded in both 40S&W and 357Sig. Same as the Black Talons without the Black Paint BS. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah i have a few boxes of them also..... good stuff :!:

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I used to carry those Winchester SXT rounds in 45 when I owned 1911s. In 9mm., I used to use Federal Hydrashok.

Nothing wrong with those rounds - use them. Just realize that they are getting older. Ammo stores for a long time - but for a carry weapon, I still like to have fresh ammo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I used to carry those Winchester SXT rounds in 45 when I owned 1911s. In 9mm., I used to use Federal Hydrashok.

Nothing wrong with those rounds - use them. Just realize that they are getting older. Ammo stores for a long time - but for a carry weapon, I still like to have fresh ammo.
The stuff I carry is current production 2006/2007.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot 30+ year old ammo no problem keep it cool and dry but the when your life is on the line i guess i should not chance it either....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ShipWreck said:
I change out my carry ammo 1-2x a year usually :)
yes that is a good pratice i should start doing :lol: when my carry rounds get old looking i toss the in the tumbler :shock: I know its bad i do it when no one is home to be safe :roll:

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Well, I shot out my carry mag of ammo in my P99c today while at the range with my Buckmark :p

Replaces it when I got home

·
Registered
12 Posts
The BT has a lot of value because they are considered collectable. The new Ranger T-Series is a big improvement over the old SXT.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also carry Black Talons usually, and I really like them.

Unlike with other ammo, there is no fouling and no oxydation on the bullet itself. I really saw that, when I was carrying Hydrashok during summer the first time. The bullets looked like they were 100 years old, just after 2 weeks. The one in the chamber was still ok, but the rest in the mag looked bad. That made me think, and the result of my thoughts was, that copper jacketed Bullets, and the lead, that's exposed on them, really don't like humidity.

That was the time I switched to Black Talons and Silvertips. The Black Talons are coated, and the Silvertips are surely not copper jacketed. I really care about reliability, and when it counts, I want Ammunition that works 100%.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a few more boxes for my kimber ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Black Talons

GunNut said:
They show they have 9mm and .40 S&W at Ammunition To Go, appears to be old stock.
Since it has been out of production since the early 1990's I would say so.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I burnt two boxes so far as a test they all went POP :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.