FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shot a bad reload that was overcharged and blew up my gun. I sent the gun in to FN for repair and they deemed it unrepairable. My guess is that this is a risk FN does not want to take in repairing it. However, the damages seem to be in only 2 areas: trigger and cracked frame. See damages outlined in red in picture.

My question for the community is whether you would take it upon yourself to get it fixed? Would a gunsmith touch this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
First, sorry to read and see this. Second, glad to know you or no one else was apparently harmed. Doubt seriously if FN would warranty repair the damage but a call will confirm. The frame is the serialized part, I've never seen one listed for sale nor a factory trigger. I would be calling FN for options.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FN does sell 509 frames. But, with that much damage, I'd suggest sending the whole thing to FN in Columbia, SC and let them fix it. They'll be more thorough than most gun shops. As SeaMac said, the frame is the part with the serial number and you'll likely need a new frame. Let the experts have this problem, you just write the check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses. i updated my post to reflect that I actually sent it in to FN already and they deemed in unrepairable. question for you all is whether you would take it upon yourself to try to get this fixed. thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
I personally would not attempt to repair the frame as it no longer has structural integrity. I would as others have suggested use it for spares.

Maybe you can find a frame and Apex will certainly sell you a trigger.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Are you sure it was a double charge? Bullet setback can be a beast too. Would love to see what's left of the failed cartridge.

I don't think you're going to save the frame. In the future when testing loads it's always advisable to use a steel framed gun and drop the magazine.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't trust myself to reload...glad you are still here to talk about it.

That said...FN might help you out...not for free though...but you never know...

·
Registered
FN 509M MDR FDE
3 Posts
I shot a bad reload that was overcharged and blew up my gun. I sent the gun in to FN for repair and they deemed it unrepairable. My guess is that this is a risk FN does not want to take in repairing it. However, the damages seem to be in only 2 areas: trigger and cracked frame. See damages outlined in red in picture.

My question for the community is whether you would take it upon yourself to get it fixed? Would a gunsmith touch this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 146614
Sorry to see that, my friend! I own the exact same gun. You have to be very exact when reloading.
I would say you just learned a valuable, albeit, expensive lesson.
Good luck. Send it to FN.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't trust myself to reload...glad you are still here to talk about it.

That said...FN might help you out...not for free though...but you never know...
FN replaced the frame on my 509 after the LGS "broke the frame getting out "that" pin in order to replace the trigger assembly". They can do it. That said, you have a mechanical device that has been extremely overpressurized, well past the point of failure. I wouldn't even use the slide or its parts either.
I agree with Vertigosol and Dank, never use it again. I'd have it framed and give it to my favorite CCW instructor to use as a "y'all shouldn't be doin' this" example. Chalk this one up to experience and go buy another one. Safety first, second, and third.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm super glad your okay! nothing worse then getting hurt with your own gun!
I love to reload smaller rounds like 9mm, 45, 55.6, but the .308 I always have problems with!
Since I spent so much on my SCAR....I just put manufactured rounds thru it, not worth the risk. I bet the SCAR is super picky too...it may not even like reloads.

I wish my SCAR was like an AK ...they shoot anything you put in them ...steel, brass, reloads, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
I'm super glad your okay! nothing worse then getting hurt with your own gun!
I love to reload smaller rounds like 9mm, 45, 55.6, but the .308 I always have problems with!
Since I spent so much on my SCAR....I just put manufactured rounds thru it, not worth the risk. I bet the SCAR is super picky too...it may not even like reloads.

I wish my SCAR was like an AK ...they shoot anything you put in them ...steel, brass, reloads, etc.
What problems do you have reloading the .308? It is one of the most reloaded cartridges there is. For the record the OP's firearm is a 509 in 9mm.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts