FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let me see if I have this straight. You think you know better than the ammo manufacturers, so you load your own ammo and blow up your gun. Fair enough. Then, you think you know better than the gun manufacturer and decide you're going to repair a gun that is trashed. If nothing else, you have a genius for consistency. You are driving your AMC Gremlin in a circle in a cul-de-sac. I say go for it. Why start learning something now?

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
Let me see if I have this straight. You think you know better than the ammo manufacturers, so you load your own ammo and blow up your gun. Fair enough. Then, you think you know better than the gun manufacturer and decide you're going to repair a gun that is trashed. If nothing else, you have a genius for consistency. You are driving your AMC Gremlin in a circle in a cul-de-sac. I say go for it. Why start learning something now?
Man those are harsh words for an AMC Gremlin the greatest cul-de-sac curb crawling chic magnet on four wheels ever made. At least until AMC introduced the Pacer that is...

Reactions: Mister Coffee

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow...let us how you really feel about reloading...you see...your type of mentality that only big companies or for that matter governments are the only ones with capability is exactly why we are the way we are in this country...I don't reload but I respect the ones that take it under their wings and learn about it...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad you're ok. While an expensive loss, it could have been far worse. I reload the 5.7, and check every load. It is tedious and it is time consuming, but it gives me piece of mind. As someone else mentioned earlier, I also am wondering if it is possible bullet setback is the possible culprit here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow...let us how you really feel about reloading...you see...your type of mentality that only big companies or for that matter governments are the only ones with capability is exactly why we are the way we are in this country...I don't reload but I respect the ones that take it under their wings and learn about it...
Are you saying that you want to stand next to him on the firing line? How about your family members?

Good luck. I'll send flowers.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Are you saying that you want to stand next to him on the firing line? How about your family members?

Good luck. I'll send flowers.
No telling how many people you've shot next to with handloads over the years unless you strictly shoot on your private property. Every hunting round I've ever shot was handloads, almost every 44 mag round I've ever fired was a handload....the list goes on. You just have to know what you're doing and actually pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You just have to know what you're doing and actually pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine.
As long as he knows what he's doing. As long as the evidence that he presented shows that he knows what he's doing. Otherwise, it would be downright immoral for any of us to encourage him down the road he's on.

"A man has got to know his limitations." I think it was Nancy Pelosi who said that. Maybe it was Soupy Sales. ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
As long as he knows what he's doing. As long as the evidence that he presented shows that he knows what he's doing. Otherwise, it would be downright immoral for any of us to encourage him down the road he's on.

"A man has got to know his limitations." I think it was Nancy Pelosi who said that. Maybe it was Soupy Sales. ;)
You are an idiot...sorry...I bet you have massive road rage issues too because people work on their cars vs the dealership...don't be a dummy...

·
Registered
653 Posts
No telling how many people you've shot next to with handloads over the years unless you strictly shoot on your private property. Every hunting round I've ever shot was handloads, almost every 44 mag round I've ever fired was a handload....the list goes on. You just have to know what you're doing and actually pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine.
Lets be real...Mister Coffee probably never shot a real gun in his life...lol...

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are an idiot...sorry...I bet you have massive road rage issues too because people work on their cars vs the dealership...don't be a dummy...
I get what you are saying, and I respect your view. I was just trying to highlight the significant safety issues involved here — a serious matter that I was trying handle with a little humor mixed in. I guess we'll just have to let the OP follow your advice, and repair his gun, and fire some more roll-your-own loads through it, and see what happens. Maybe, when he's done, he'll come back and tell us how it went.

Lets be real...Mister Coffee probably never shot a real gun in his life...lol...
I have never fired a real gun in my life. Loud noises frighten me. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I reload all of my own 9mm, .45 and .300 blackout. I've never had anything more serious than a primer failing to ignite or very rarely one may slip past me that's a hair too long and won't go all the way into the chamber. I've shot thousands of reloads. While reloading may indeed be similar to rocket science it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Always check your charge before putting that bullet in. It helps that I stick with powders that would overflow if double charged.

·
Administrator
12,166 Posts
Always check your charge before putting that bullet in. It helps that I stick with powders that would overflow if double charged.
Helps but not always able to. With the 5.7, if you use the recommended True Blue powder you can easily double charge if not careful. Many pistol cartridges are able to be double charged unless a filler is used, which affects burn consistency.

The solution is to pay attention to what you are doing and visually check each case for charge prior to projectile insertion. Use a powder cop on progressives, it locks up the press so you can't advance.

I can't say it often enough.....pay attention, pay attention, pay attention, to what you are doing.

You can also weigh each reload to ensure they are a couple of grains of each other but this requires attention to case selection, case prep, and bullet selection. All have to be weighed prior to commencement of reloading and odd weights places aside. But I do that with my precision loads, otherwise they are not precision loads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man those are harsh words for an AMC Gremlin the greatest cul-de-sac curb crawling chic magnet on four wheels ever made. At least until AMC introduced the Pacer that is...
try driving an 80's K car or the worst chick magnet car ever -- a Chevy HHR

21 - 35 of 35 Posts