FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an FN FNX 45 a couple months ago. Took it out to the range for the first time and it ran like a charm. I put around 100 rounds of Winchester through it. Then I bought some Armscor 230 grain FMJ. First round out of the box blew up. It swelled the frame, blew the right side of the ambi safety off, blew the mag out of the bottom, and scared the absolute crap out of me. FN finally got back to me after over a month of them having the gun and told me that they determined it was an ammo problem. However I do not see how it was the ammo due to the fact that the bottom of the case blew out. I could see it being ammo if just the primer blew out and/or part of the case still being In the camber. I have talked to numerous people about what happened along with showing them the pictures. We all think that the slide was not fully into battery when it set the round off. I will never buy anything from FN ever again!!!
Shorts Sleeve Collar Grey Headgear

Air gun Trigger Finger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Gesture Camera accessory Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment

Hand Sleeve Gesture Trigger Finger

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Wrist

Attachments

· Registered
1,543 Posts
ok, so why come here to an FN message board then.

if you're not happy with them just walk away. i would take the word over their certified and trained armors any day over some guys who "think" they know guns. i'm sure the FN people have seen things like this before.

when i saw Armscor ammo, my guess went straight to ammo related. that company doesn't exactly have the best track record to begin with.

from the pics you posted its pretty clear even to my untrained eyes.

don't go away mad, just go away.

out

· Registered
586 Posts
So if it was an ammo issue, you guys think the case was swollen at the base and it did not fully seat in the chamber? I am just curious on the process, mechanics on how the failure occurred and would appreciate additional thoughts and explanations. I do see his concern that since the base of the brass blew out the side that this would be hard to do if the round was fully seated in the chamber. Do you think the bullet was set to deep, charge to hot, etc.. Just wanting to learn.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
The FNX having a fully supported chamber would really indicate an ammo issue with that type of blow out. I did something that was almost identical to you with my FNP Tactical and someone else's handloads that looked exactly like your gun. I considered it my dumbass fault for trusting anothers handloads that were told to me to be +P.....he felt terrible since obviously the gun was ruined. Call Armscor and get them to resolve it. Personally, I was glad FNH made the weapon as well as they did since I really received no injury......could have been alot worse with a cheaper made gun.

· Registered
25 Posts
My son came home from the gun show with a brand new Glock. . . We went out the next day to the gun range to try it out. About 12 rounds later the gun fly's apart in my hand. I wasn't injured, but the gun was going to have to be repaired. The round was way overcharged. I asked my son what brand of ammo he bought. He replied it was some reloads he had bought at the gun show.

Only trust your own reloads.

· Registered
586 Posts
So if it was a fully supported chamber, please clarify out the bae of the cartridge wall blew out- projectile seated too deep? I can totally see if the case was bulged and not fully seated into the chamber how the above would have happened. But I also see that if it was not fully chambered as the slide moved forward into fully battery, and possibly riding the trigger a bit to heavy, that the round would of detonated prematurely causing the above event? Again, not taking a position trying to argue with anyone but to understand more clearly what happened and most importantly how to avoid. Thanks,

· Premium Member
2,872 Posts
A couple of years ago I was at the range with a fellow competitor who was also reloading. However, he kept upping the powder load each time we went out, until the pressures finally exceeded the rifle's limits.

It was a bolt action rifle, and the case blew out in a similar fashion, destroying the firearm in the process. Obviously, the round/case was fully seated in a sealed chamber with the bolt fully engaged. 99% sure that the Armscor / FNX failure has nothing to do with the round not being fully seated in the chamber.

The fact the FNX ran flawlessly with Winchester ammo, but malfunctioned immediately upon switching to Armscor should tell you/us something. Google, "Armscor Ammunition Problems". The results are quite revealing.

I would be approaching Armscor and have them address the issue/damage.

· Registered
99 Posts
Just change a few words around and it all makes sense.

My Porsche ran great on the recommended gasoline for 100 miles but now that milk is cheaper than gasoline, I filled up my car with whole milk. The engine blew up the first time I started it. I called Porsche and they said it was a milk problem. I'll never buy another Porsche again! :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.