FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can somebody clue me in on what a blued magazine actually does? I'm a gun owning newb and I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
It was likely a factory FNP mag - as I do not think anyone else is making mags for the gun.

Instead of being silver metal - it would just be made out of blue steel.

Most magazines are made that way - some use nickel plated instead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TaylorTAP said:
Can somebody clue me in on what a blued magazine actually does? I'm a gun owning newb and I appreciate the help.
IMO and maybe most others, just one thing over stainless, no light (Sun) reflection. The last thing you want in a "combat" weapon is anything shining off of it. I have a stainless .45 and it sure wasn't my 1st choice, but I couldn't find black, one day it will be black... All in all stainless mags again IMO is the better choice and it would be a perfect choice if it was blackened stainless, stainless mags are very smoooooooth and will slip right in with no lubricate (wow that doesn't look good in type does it :oops: ) .

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I ordered two "blued" mags from Bud's a few months back. Same price as stainless and I thought I'd give 'em a try. Well, when they came, they were stainless. I wasn't complaining though (since I found out blued mags tend to rust quicker and are generally need more maintainance). I don't think FN makes blued mags for the FNP series. Although, that looks like it might be a different picture, though I'm not 100% sure since it was a while ago. I guess you'll find out when you get them.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes, I have never seen blue steel FNP mags either - but as someone claimed they ordered them, I just assumed they were some new variation.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Yes, I have never seen blue steel FNP mags either - but as someone claimed they ordered them, I just assumed they were some new variation.
I ordered them, but I got stainless steel ones which leads me to believe there aren't any blued ones out there. I would also think they would look just like the stainless ones except for finish of course, but the supplied sample photo does not quite look right. At first I thought it might be a mag for the 49, but that one is even more different.

·
Registered
107 Posts
powermad said:
All of my supplied .45 mags are blued.
I thought mine were as well until I got a good look at them in the light... To me, they look like "black stainless" far away, but close up they are stainless.

In any case, do you have some pics to show us?

·
Registered
319 Posts
If they aren't blued they look like it, same smudgy PITA color.

Whatever it is it wears off easy too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MrSteve said:
TaylorTAP said:
IMO and maybe most others, just one thing over stainless, no light (Sun) reflection. The last thing you want in a "combat" weapon is anything shining off of it. I have a stainless .45 and it sure wasn't my 1st choice, but I couldn't find black, one day it will be black...
With all due respect, I don't see this as an issue. It's pretty unlikely a surviving bad guy won't know where you're at after dodging a 15+ of your shots, only to finally locate you by the glint off your magazine reload.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm waiting to receive three additional SS mags from Midway. Personally, I prefer nickel or SS flush-fit mags. I also have a S&W 915 which uses SS 59 series factory mags that are compatible with my Kel-Tec S2K, and P-11. So I stocked up on them.

Now, if Mec-Gar would gear-up and produce their high-quality aftermarket mags for the Taurus 24/7, and FNP pistols, I'd be one happy camper, because their 17 round and flush-fit 18 round mags work better in my PT99 than the original factory mags.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This email exchange I had with FNH today may help:
Lee,

On the FNP 9/40 magazines, none are Blued!

Contact the following for Spare Magazines:

Bart’s @ 410-761-8686

Thank you!

Bob Ailes

Customer Support Manager

703-288-3500 ext. 122

[email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:09 AM
To: Robert Ailes
Subject: FW: Confusing Web Pages
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 9:07 AM
To: GL_FNHUSA_Sales; GL_FNHUSA_Advertising
Subject: Confusing Web Pages

Would you please answer these two questions for me?

I've just purchased a FNP-40 and would like to get two more 14 capacity magazines. Please look at the two web pages from your website.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?mid=FNM0119&cid=FNC02&gid=FNG009&fid=FNF025 14 round capacity? #47306

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?mid=FNM0076&cid=FNC02&gid=FNG009&fid=FNF025 10 round capacity? #47305

Read across the bottom line of each and note the "magazine capacity" discrepancy. Probably should fix that, but my 1st question is...is #47306 really the 14 round capacity?

I've looked on the web at a number of aftermarket websites and they show a blued magazine.

One example: htthttp://www.cheaperthandirt.com/17137-36.htmlp:// Yet they say it's "factory original".

Obviously, the pictures on the FNH webite are not blued.

Question 2 is where can I get non-blued magazines? Can I purchase directly from you? Oops, that was 3 questions.

Thanks for your help.

Lee Lewis

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
aermotor said:
Anyone try some super tough matte black spray paint or Duracoat?
Considered it, but have not gotten around to it yet. I don't think it would be an issue though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
MrSteve said:
TaylorTAP said:
IMO and maybe most others, just one thing over stainless, no light (Sun) reflection. The last thing you want in a "combat" weapon is anything shining off of it. I have a stainless .45 and it sure wasn't my 1st choice, but I couldn't find black, one day it will be black... All in all stainless mags again IMO is the better choice and it would be a perfect choice if it was blackened stainless, stainless mags are very smoooooooth and will slip right in with no lubricate (wow that doesn't look good in type does it :oops: ) .
:-D
everyone keep your daughters away from this guy!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
hairypolack said:
MrSteve said:
TaylorTAP said:
:-D
everyone keep your daughters away from this guy!
I don't know how I let that one go :-x :-D :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts