FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This report is LONG over due.
I took a good sized group out to New Smyrna Beach, FL back in June and we had a great time. I had a 17S, a few guys had AR 15's, one with a Savage, and one guy with a bow (that unfortunately got nothing). We started out at dusk on Saturday, some continued into the night and then we ended up Sunday morning going back out. I caught some flack for having the ninja/mossad mask... but since the yellow flies were out in full force, I was the one laughing in the end with all my buddies getting eaten up in their tree stands from them, lol.

Saturday night started out great but rained like a monsoon for about 3 hours until dusk set in. I was camped out in a one person tree stand with my cousin, huddled under my rain jacket since the rain was freezing. On my personal kill log was a 30 pound trophy coon that my cousin grazed with his Savage - he had a 16X scope on it and the raccoon was maybe 50 yards away (over precision, haha). I had to finish it off with an additional shot. The next morning I scored a hagged out female boar that weighed in at 67 pounds... oddly enough it took 3 shots to get her down, she just would keep walking! I happened to be using Hornady 168 gr A-Max.

Now, the real story comes into play with my cousin who still hasn't scored a kill yet and we get word that one has just spotted deep inside a muddy bog. I told my cousin to take my SCAR since he'd be getting up close and personal with whatever he found... it turned out to be a good call. He ended up bagging a 178 pounder with 3 inch biters (see below). My cousin was using Hornady's green tip Zombie in the SCAR...and he just took a single, perfect shot! (When we skinned it later, the bullet entered under the left shoulder blade, through the heart and we recovered the mushroomed bullet in the opposite side's hind leg!).
It took about 45 minutes to pull it out from the bog with a small 4x4 truck, but we got a ton of meat from it and the cousin should be receiving his mounted skull any day now.
Despite getting a completely pathetic kill, for a first time hunting experience, it was a great experience!
WP_20130601_005 (1280x721).jpg WP_20130601_010 (1280x721).jpg WP_20130602_007 (721x1280).jpg WP_20130602_006 (1280x721).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Nice bacon! That one on the left is a monster!

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Does FL have a magazine limitation even when hog hunting?

No they are considered a nuisance animal and you are aloud to eradicate them with extreme prejudice by whatever means necessary.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Yep, you can even go night hunting for them. I recommend a PVS 14 ;)
I'm right there with you. I normally use a laser genetics device on their nasty asses however, I have yet to take the 17. But when I do... There will be blood. :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts