FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please move if need be.

I'm wanting to get body armor, but most of the websites I see list it as a restricted item. The only restrictions my state has, that I can find, are against convicted felons owning it. Am I missing something or does anyone have guidance on this?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Besides that Felons can't own them. The fact that you have them easily accessible in a crime (easily accessible is the trunk in some places), can land you in a upper bracket of punishment. I see it as, If you don't go instigating and perpetrating a crime, are not prone to ROAD Rage, and you are responsible with them, ergo cousin "Vinny" wants to take them for a spin around the block. I don't see why Law enforcement would have a problem with it. Other than that I don't know what to tell ya there are many types of armor levels of protection and how it is made. Recoil IIRC did a spread on this a while back, in issue 15. AR500 is heavy and cheapest(2 lvlIII plates @ 25-30lbs), essentially the metal targets you shoot shaped like a SAPI plate.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yes many places will only sell it to LEO's. I find this absurd to say the least. I'm hoping I don't run into this problem when I finally get around to night vision. Ya knooowwww...Police sign up for the job, and as well they should have it. But civilians, we are every day people and have the same right to protection as they do. To suggest an LEO life is more precious than a civilian life is mighty bothersome. All life is precious. And need I remind LEO and Military alike, don't forget, your bosses...the ones who are ultimately in charge, are CIVILIANS. There is a reason for that, and it goes back to our Founding Fathers. God bless our LEO and Military, but we DO NOT play second fiddle to them. Quite the contrary one might even argue, that seems to have been forgotten somewhere along the way. And please don't take this post as anti police or military, because it's not intended as such. They are a needed essential of the fabric of our nation...but need to be utilized properly by the proper and non-corrupt civilians. That seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way too. Yes, we seem to be living in upside down times right now. I wish you good luck on your endeavor for the armor, it's attainable, you just have to unwarrantedly jump through a hoop or two to get it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you're looking for ceramic plates, try Ebay. I've picked up a couple sets there, relatively cheap, and they're the same thing I used in Iraq and Africa. Other than the local/State legalities, I didn't have to worry about any other restrictions.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
AR500 Armor is a good source, they sell to everyone who is legally able to own.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
AR500 Armor is a good source, they sell to everyone who is legally able to own.
The few sites I have been on only sell to LE and require a department letter with department letterhead for authorization of the LEO to purchase the armor or armor components.
Being a licensed peace officer is proof the purchaser is law abiding and not a convicted felon.

How does AR500 know the purchaser is someone who is able to legally own one?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm wanting to get body armor, but most of the websites I see list it as a restricted item.
Yes they list it as restricted........but......you can get around that. I've never had problems getting what I want by. 1.) Calling them directly. 2.) Know all the SKU's or Product ID numbers and are ready to order like it's you job for company. 3.) When questioned pretend you're a private security contractor company....like I said pretend like procurement is your job at the company. "I though you had us on record, what's your fax number so I can send you a fax on this order." Send them a fax with your company letter head with your driver's license picture front and back, your conceded weapons permit front and back, and "company" ID front and back with some professional looking tables that list the "employee" name, social, issued firearms and serial numbers, etc......Fax that puppy while on the phone if possible or call back and ask to speak with the person you were talking with before. Works every time. I always ask for a PO# and pay by NFA trust checking account. My company is B.T. Defense...Which my bank allows me to use as the name when making a bill pay check. B.T stands for Bove Trust(The NFA trust name). When I receive the body armor I add it to the trust assets.
I know a lot of you might think I'm doing something fraudulent, or impersonating a PD or government agency, but I'm 100% not. I never said I was a police department! I sent them all my real information and technically the trust is a separate legal entity and can hire security to protect the trust assets or trustee's. Also I live in a state that allows me to purchase as much body armor as I want. The only thing stopping the purchase is the company selling it. So...technically it's legal. I look at it like a public bar that has a sign outside that says police only Wednesday's and I walk in and order a pint. I Enjoy my pint by myself and if asked/perceived as a police officer make it clear I'm not. I then pay full price for my beer and leave.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
22,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Please move if need be.

I'm wanting to get body armor, but most of the websites I see list it as a restricted item. The only restrictions my state has, that I can find, are against convicted felons owning it. Am I missing something or does anyone have guidance on this?
Read the fine print, most of them have a real official sounding restriction but basically just want a copy of your driver's license unless you're ordering from a police supply.

They are just discouraging the savages from armoring themselves.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
When you said they sell to anyone, you meant they don't check?
According to this, it sounds like they don't because they don't require you to send in anything like a Justin Bove mentioned above.
The only thing they seem to be relying only on the delivery state and/or city as a criterion of whether or not they will sell to you.

There has to be more to it than just this. Especially when you reach check out

·
Registered
876 Posts
When you said they sell to anyone, you meant they don't check?
According to this, it sounds like they don't because they don't require you to send in anything like a Justin Bove mentioned above.
The only thing they seem to be relying only on the delivery state and/or city as a criterion of whether or not they will sell to you.

There has to be more to it than just this. Especially when you reach check out
AR500 sells to all legal persons. They make you check a agreement box (The agreement is your basic we are not responsible, don't commit crime, make sure you are allowed to own it, blah blah) I've ordered some of there products and tested it. They are reputable, as far as ordering from eBay or gun broker, or some weird no name website I would order two and test. I don't know if I would place my life in the hands of some random gunbroker dealer that could sell me a fake. I use the complicated security contractor method because I purchase Safariland Group body armor. Like ABA, Second Chance, SBI, Protech, etc. Yes they are expensive, but how much is your life worth. Also if you plan to wear concealed body armor everyday you want the lightest, easiest to clean, most breathable out there. You can call me crazy but I love soft body armor. I use soft armor panels anywhere I can hide it. I've got hidden vests in my cars trunk for a SHTF situation for my passengers safety. I know you think I'm crazy but imagine how thankful you would be if me, you, and some friends go to sports game or music concert in the city and all the sudden the car is getting rocks, bottles and other crap thrown at it with a mob surrounding it. How much would you love me if I said reach under your seats and you will find kevlar vests quickly put them on.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
AR500 sells to all legal persons. They make you check a agreement box (The agreement is your basic we are not responsible, don't commit crime, make sure you are allowed to own it, blah blah) I've ordered some of there products and tested it. They are reputable, as far as ordering from eBay or gun broker, or some weird no name website I would order two and test. I don't know if I would place my life in the hands of some random gunbroker dealer that could sell me a fake. I use the complicated security contractor method because I purchase Safariland Group body armor. Like ABA, Second Chance, SBI, Protech, etc. Yes they are expensive, but how much is your life worth. Also if you plan to wear concealed body armor everyday you want the lightest, easiest to clean, most breathable out there. You can call me crazy but I love soft body armor. I use soft armor panels anywhere I can hide it. I've got hidden vests in my cars trunk for a SHTF situation for my passengers safety. I know you think I'm crazy but imagine how thankful you would be if me, you, and some friends go to sports game or music concert in the city and all the sudden the car is getting rocks, bottles and other crap thrown at it with a mob surrounding it. How much would you love me if I said reach under your seats and you will find kevlar vests quickly put them on.
I don't think you're crazy, just smart because you're right, anything can happen and it doesn't have to be a cataclysmic disaster.

I never purchased from any brand stores before, but I did purchase a complete IOTV set minus the SAPI plates at a surplus store.
No questions asked because it is legal to own in my state, but they did require me to show my ID.

The IOTV is impractical for everyday use and impossible to conceal.
For emergency cases, I purchased several surplus soft panels and put those in my rucksack using the molle PALS webbing to strap them down so it can be used as a makeshift ballistics shield.
The only questions about reliability are if the panels are still serviceable since they are used. Also, each panel is rated only to stop 9mm NATO service loadings.

I like the Safariland set for concealed armor, they have these at several of the LGSs that are geared towards LEOs and emergency response. But they sell to the general public too
I will inquire what they would require if I wanted to buy a concealable set.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't think you're crazy, just smart because you're right, anything can happen and it doesn't have to be a cataclysmic disaster.
Jim, thank you! I get a lot of WTF from family and friends because I wear concealed armor. In the winter it's actually like wearing a thermo undershirt and blocks cold winds better then any winter jacket. In the summer it sucks if you are outside doing anything that will make you sweat. When I'm home I don't wear vests. Basically I wear the vests in places where a police officer or criminal could shoot me. Yes I said police! I conceal carry and my luck is to meet the .00000001% type of police officer that pulls his/her gun and "accidentally" shoots me because they saw a gun. I would rather have a couple of cracked ribs and an apology then a wrongful death investigation for me. I'm not paranoid...I just have really bad luck. I can't tell you how many times I've been like "I should get X just in case" then have that thing happen. If take an umbrella pops in my head on a sunny day, I've learned to take that umbrella with me even though my family gives me (Why are you taking that?). Sure enough it rains and guess who winds up using the umbrella.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM
1 - 14 of 14 Posts