FN Herstal Firearms banner

Bolt action rifle of choice

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  iCeMaN 
#1 ·
Looking for a nice bolt action rifle that is able to hit targets around ~1200 yards. I am not super knowledable about bolt action rifles so any help would be appreciated :? Oh, looking to spend 3500 or less and it doesn't need to have a scope.

#3 ·
Check out Tactical Operations Tango 51.

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/

Guaranteed .25 MOA. And it costs about $3500 the last time I checked. Go with the 20 inch barrel, or look at some of their other rifles for longer barrels. I've been wanting to get one for a while, but don't have the cash yet.

#4 ·
horse9640 said:
for 1200 yards you're going to need to get a long action caliber like .338 lapua, start with gaprecision but 3500 seems a bit low
Not necessarily. You can do it with a .308, but you have to practice a lot. He's not looking to take a guy down, just hit a target. The .338 would have a huge advantage in the former. A .308 with a 24" barrel should be able to do it, just not as well as a .338.

#5 ·
I was looking at the Sako rifles but the 338 lapua is a sick round with out a doubt but the rounds aren't very cheap by any stretch...Well this is for a close friend and I was leaning towards maybe a 30-06 to 338 lapua. He was wanting something like the M40 which is what he shot when he was in the service.

#6 ·
The TacOps rifles are very similar to the M40. Not sure if you could get them in 30-06 though. Then again, he should be able to reach out to around 1200 yds with a .308 if he has Marine sniper training. A 24" barrel would be best, but you might be able to get away with a 22" or 20" barrel.

#7 ·
What about the PBR with the 20+ inch barrel in a 308 then?

#8 ·
Bump for more input!!!! :?

#10 ·
That thing looks mean lol. I did some poking around and it doesn't look like you can actually buy a m40...is this a correct assumption?

#11 ·
not sure that a PBR would be getting good accuracy at that range. The SPR on the other hand would be a good choice. If hes a crack shot he could do it with custom .308 loads but the SPR in a 300WSM would do the trick and then some. A3G with an excellent scope would probably run you 4k

#14 ·
devildoc said:
AIAW hands down. Pick your round; 308, 300 mag, 338. This rifle is amazing. I have shot one a couple of times, and they are wicked smooth, solid and accurate as ****. But they aren't cheap.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn06-e.htm
I would agree, but they are just too expensive. One day I would like to get one.

#16 ·
I went back and reread your initial post just to be sure I wasnt missing anything. From what i gather, you just want a rifle capable of hitting a 1200m target. I have a suggestion for you, take it for what you will.

I bought a Remington 700 in .300WSM, bedded the stock and lapped the bore and chamber. When I do my part, I can (with handloads) hit very sub MOA. Probably in the .5 to .75 area. I still have a 300 yard target with 9 of 10 rounds well inside the 3" ring. The called flier was a total miss :oops:

So, you really dont need a seriously butt expensive rifle to do some good shooting. I am definately no G. David Tubb, so why should I spend the money he does? (did? been a while since I have been in the high power service rifle scene) lol

As for the M40, those are made by the USMC in Quantico, so no, you cant get one. Remington however makes the M24. The official page is here: http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24sws.htm

Edit: Oh yeah, duh lol rifle and scope were $970.00 (Remington M700 stainless in .300WSM and a Nikon Buckmaster w/Mil-Dot scope)

#17 ·
devildoc said:
AIAW hands down. Pick your round; 308, 300 mag, 338. This rifle is amazing. I have shot one a couple of times, and they are wicked smooth, solid and accurate as ****. But they aren't cheap.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn06-e.htm
Those rifles are insane!! I can't find a place to buy one :(

#21 ·
As much as I hate saying this, I would rather stick with more of a "mainstream" rifle for support and warranty. I'm afraid of getting a custom made rifle and a month late the place goes out of business. I just seem them as window tinting places. :oops:

#22 ·
not sure what you mean...what's more mainstream than a remington 700? they've been around since the late 70s but I guess they could go out a business any minute now. :p

not sure you could get much better for the money. their customer service and reputation is top notch. search around, see what other people say on other forums.

wish i could afford one! :)

#23 ·
I am...I would love to have a PSG1 :twisted: Realistically, I would like a bolt action though and something mainstream but not common. You know what I mean? For example, I go to the gun range...I see 5 billion (not really alot though) Ar-15's and I have YET to see a PS-90 to date. FN is a large manufacturer and i don't think i have to worry about them going out of business vs. these custom shop that do make really sick rifles but with my luck they would go out of business after a month of ownership. Any type of support or warranty work ect would be up the creek at that point.

#24 ·
Iron Brigade is not going to go out of business anytime soon. They are selling $18K bolt rifles to the DoD to form a baseline of what the DoD should be looking at in terms of technology. They have a nice M40 style rifle too. Might be a little more than you want to pay, but if you can hit a target at 1200 yds with a .308, it might be worth it :?

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.