FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you all....how much wear is normal on the bolt cam pin? I had a 16S with a thousand+ rounds and no visible wear on the cam pin and another 16S with visible wear after only a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DSC_2566.jpg DSC_2567.jpg Here are 2 photos...you can see the peening of metal. I called FN support and got a Browning rep who very quickly said all this is normal...I do`nt know about that. I am going to contact FN directly. Let me know what you think...

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's jacked up!

Not normal wear. Send FN customer service those pics and see what they say.

What does the bolt carrier look like?

H

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll let you know what FN tells me. I'm hoping that they might have had a batch of pins with softer metal and a new pin will be the fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's normal.

...if you don't apply grease to the cam pin slot.

-SS
thanks. I actually applied a little more right after reading about this yesterday. there's a great pic (or schematic) in a thread where you should apply grease and how much.. A lot of great info in this forum... Thanks guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
robdijohn...can you post the name of that thread? I`ve seen it before but can not find it now....thanks..........

·
Registered
409 Posts
Either you have soft cam pins or your lube sucks or both.

I've got more than 1k rounds thru my SCAR16 and my cam pin has pretty much finish wear with a very small area of actual wear. There isn't anything I'd characterize as peening. I use Aeroshell Fluid 18 for lube.

photo+3.JPG
photo+2.JPG
photo+1.JPG

H

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke with two different tech guys at FN and they both say this wear is normal and not to worry. I`m going to apply some grease to the pin and slot before shooting in the future though...I`d appreciate it if you would let me know if you hear anything different. I`m going to buy an extra cam pin to have on hand. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts