FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I took the plunge and coated my BCG with Titanium Nitride. Mainly for cosmetics and ease of cleaning. I will post some pics of the whole BCG group and how it looks in my rifle shortly. Edit: I meant Bolt Carrier, I didn't coat the bolt.

T Bone image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ti Ni has a strong lubricity rating and a friction rating coefficient of only .4 , so yes it's slippy. The coating thickness is typically only 2 to 3 microns thick with a hardness rating of over 80 Rc , and a melting point of 2930*C . I'm in process of coating a carrier and another part or two to see if it helps in clean-up also, carbon is not suppose to stick to it. If you are considering this, base metal prep is key. Your carrier will need to be bead blasted to remove any coating, then it needs to be polished out to look like chrome. Start with 400# paper and end up on the buffer with red rouge. If your surfaces are not polished you will be making a very hard file !

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
That's different.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Titanium nitride is best used against another TiN coated surface if the purpose is to reduce kinetic friction. Otherwise, it might start wearing the other surface down just because of the difference in hardnesses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

The cost was $95. I did a bunch of Glock barrels with this company and they did a good job.

I am waiting for my CLP lube to come so I can reassemble the rifle.

I will post more pics over weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is the name of the company, and what exactly did they do for that price?? Got me wondering and thinking!!
I used Titanium Gun, a division of coating services company in Kaliforniastan. I took apart my BCG sent it in with an order form and paid by PayPal and 5 days later, the part is back. No special handling. Friendly and pro. Ask for John Salazar. They mainly do Glocks and Desert a Eagles.

I am not associated in anyway with the company.

Just google titanium gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts