FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying hello as this is my first post. My name is Mike. Please forgive me if I sound like a complete newb, as I am brand new to the 5.7 seven platform.
I have read the sticky on frame wear from spent cases and from what I gather, the part that I'm concerned with is the bolt-hold-open device (little black trap door). My hammer group and frame are untouched but this trap door has really taken a beating after about 600 rounds. Needless to say I will be buying some velcro soon. My question is what does this door do? It is always open unless I stick a finger in there and manually push it shut. Then when I cock the rifle, it swings down. Is this operation normal or should it retract? Is this just a fancy dust cover? Thanks in advance for your replies
-Mike

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I had to velcro 1 side of the "flap" because of wear. I shoot on sandbags a lot, and I generally rest the rear bag under the ejection port (so the cases don't run away). But, the bouncing around in there makes it beat up the port.

Honestly - I never use that bolt hold open thing at all.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I had to velcro 1 side of the "flap" because of wear. I shoot on sandbags a lot, and I generally rest the rear bag under the ejection port (so the cases don't run away). But, the bouncing around in there makes it beat up the port.

Honestly - I never use that bolt hold open thing at all.
There's a way to hold the bolt open? :evil: Is it part of the gun or an accessory? Seriously I have no idea what you guys are talking about

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The flap in the ejection port - if you raise it up and lock it into place when you hold the action open... It will lock the bolt open - but the bolt handle will still spring forward

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
ShipWreck said:
The flap in the ejection port - if you raise it up and lock it into place when you hold the action open... It will lock the bolt open - but the bolt handle will still spring forward
I'll Have to look at this when I get home I don't remember that. :?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I use it all the time at the range, when the range goes "cold" the RO's require that the bolts be open on rifes

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Mine came with a flat screen monitor built into it too - you should look and see if you have 1 of those as well :lol:

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Mine came with a flat screen monitor built into it too - you should look and see if you have 1 of those as well :lol:

Man I did get ripped off, mine didn't come with a flat screen built in DAMNIT ALL!!!!!! :cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts