FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing my scar, and running some round through, the bolt would not lock back after pulling on the charging handle with the magazine in. I confirmed that the bolt would not hold open after the last round at the range.

I bought a new magazine, and the problem was solved. I ran this magazine this weekend at the range, and everything worked fine. When I got home, after cleaning, and performing a function check, the BHO issue is back with the new magazine.

I put another new magazine in, and problem solved.

The last two mags still have the issue.

Is this just a magazine problem, or is there something more serious that is an issue?

I forgot to say that with the magazines that do not work, I can put pressure on the magazine pushing it forward in the mag well, and when pulling the charging handle, the BHO works.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Let's see a few pictures of the empty magazine in the trigger module, removed from the upper receiver.

-SS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpg

as you can see, the bolt catch missed the magazine. it was wedged, making it difficult to remove the magazine.

after removing and inserting, the bolt catch was pushed up, but just barely.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
What's driving that magazine forward in the magazine well like that?

Are you applying any forward pressure to the floor plate bumper?

-SS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the interest sarge.

This picture was taken while the upper and lower were attached, and then I took the lower off.

Nothin is pushing on the magazine during insertion except the upward motion of the actual task.

So, this has happened to the last two magazines that I have used. It works initially, but then after usage, something changes. If I put a new magazine in now, everything works perfectly. I just do not want to keep destroying 40 dollar magazines.

Thanks again for the interest. Hopefully there is a solution.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Did you buy the weapon new? If yes, take a couple of clear pictures of the front and rear of the interior of the magazine well, please.

-SS

·
Registered
32 Posts
i posted a thread on this EXACT issue when i first got my SCAR17
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/51459-scar17-mag-problem.html
with the exact results when i bought a new mag...go to FN's site and follow their directions on how to send it back to them, once they process it, not recieve it...process it...then you will be sent a post card saying their working on replacing it, i only say this cuz i put tracking on it, and it was delivered on Nov 12th, and didnt hear anything from them so i called and they said it takes up to 90 days to process firearm ACCESSORIES, i got the post card last friday, so send it back, and wait a while! hope this helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never mind, I think I am reading this thread correctly now. Just the magazine.

I will probably ship the two that have the issue back.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes it is a batch of Mags that had problems....not the weapon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... So I feel dumb!

I came Home to take pictures of my mag well for sarge, and realized that I only have a problem with one magazine, and the second mag that I thought I was having issues with was the original one.

the lot number of all of my mag that work correctly, is: 04TQ0-0413

the lot number of my one mag that is non functional is: 04TQ0-0612

Thanks everyone for the concern, you all are great

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ok... So I feel dumb!

I came Home to take pictures of my mag well for sarge, and realized that I only have a problem with one magazine, and the second mag that I thought I was having issues with was the original one.

the lot number of all of my mag that work correctly, is: 04TQ0-0413

the lot number of my one mag that is non functional is: 04TQ0-0612

Thanks everyone for the concern, you all are great
All my AR mags are numbered, for this very reason. Glad you got it sorted out, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just the mag, I went and bought 3 after I sent it in the broken one, and haven't had an issue with any of the ne ones

1 - 19 of 19 Posts