FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy just came over with his 17 for me to look at. The bolt stop would not hold open on the last round. Seems there is just the slightest amount of slop in the mag well, so the mag can rock forward, and the bolt catch is only catching the very rear edge of the follower, so after several uses the plastic in the follower rounds off on the rear edge, and the bolt stop can now slip down behind the mag follower.

Has anyone else seen this happen? FN wanted him to send the entire rifle back. Luckily, I have a couple of spare lowers I only use to demo triggers on, so I just swapped his lower out.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mine doesn't always lock back after the last round. There is a considerable amount of mag wobble. I have only tried one mag, I still have 4 in the box to play with.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I thought I read about this before, but it was a mag issue.
So it works with the lower you changed out ?
The bolt stop rides inside the mag spline.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A buddy just came over with his 17 for me to look at. The bolt stop would not hold open on the last round. Seems there is just the slightest amount of slop in the mag well, so the mag can rock forward, and the bolt catch is only catching the very rear edge of the follower, so after several uses the plastic in the follower rounds off on the rear edge, and the bolt stop can now slip down behind the mag follower.

Has anyone else seen this happen? FN wanted him to send the entire rifle back. Luckily, I have a couple of spare lowers I only use to demo triggers on, so I just swapped his lower out.
What kind of mags was your buddy using? Fn or aftermarket?

·
Registered
757 Posts
If the replacement lower corrected the problem, wouldn't that mean the follower didn't contribute to the problem?

Edit-never mind now I see what you're saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mag wobble causes this? I've never experienced this on ARs even when the US GI mags wobbles in my PSA like a pair of balls.

Have you checked for follower tilt?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I called FN about this with the mag that came with my gun. The other five mags I have work fine. The guy on the phone said to fill out a request for service form and send it to their Arnold, Missouri Service center location. I haven't heard anything back yet, but its only been about 4 days.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes i was the one who brought this up. Originally i thought it was the magazine/ follower but came to the conclusion that its to much play in the mag well

Fn wanted me to send it in and one day i will do that. But my fix was to put a few strips of tape in the mag well at the front top where the mag wants to lean over after the bcg is cycled.

Im pretty sure it is a manufacturer defect.

It doesnt bother me that much bcuz the rifle just plain works now and actually has less rattle then all the scar 17s i hav came across. I could really just add some material in there and sanded it down to a perfect fit.

For most i can see how it can b bothersome after spending coin for a rifle that shouldnt hav any issues.

Ill just fix it with sarges lower. Hoping the mags will sit nice and tight in his lower but b able to drop out instantly. Thats how my scar is now with the tape mode lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm having the same issue. The bolt release slips behind the follower instead of riding on top of it. It fails to lock back 9/10 times with the provided mag that came with the gun. I also bought five extra FDE OEM mags. One out of the five has the same problem. I haven't contacted anyone about this yet...

*Edit to add: I didn't notice any wear on the follower like you were describing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah ,they said send the whole rifle. But i know what the fix is. Pretty sure they are just gonna swap it out for a recently produced one. Which is all fine and dandy but really i dont want to wait for it. And with my tape mod it actually feels tighter then any scar ive used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts