FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I i finally got my FNAR after 3 months of waiting and brought it home on... friday the 13th.
First thing that happened wast that the bolt stuck closed and the head won't rotate far enough to disengage the lugs in the barrel.
video of what's happening.

I've disassembled the rifle all the way down to the bolt so there's nothing wrong with the gas system and no spring pressure on the bolt assebly but it still won't move.
Anyone else who've had similar issues or some idea on what to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the chamber is empty, i just got the rifle home so i haven't fired a single shot through it.
I dry fired the rifle before putting it in my safe and now the bolt won't disengage from the barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am at a loss on that one-Hate to say it but if you dont want to send it back I would use some force pushing from inside the barrel while pulling on the bolt handle-Careful as the bolt handle can break.Get a wooden dowel for inside of the barrel.Good luck

·
Vendor
1,774 Posts
Get a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the bolt to help it twist all the way. If the cam pin or cam track is damaged, it might not be rotating the bolt far enoungh by the action of pulling the BCG back, so you need to help the bolt rotate the last little bit to disengage the lugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the bolt to help it twist all the way. If the cam pin or cam track is damaged, it might not be rotating the bolt far enoungh by the action of pulling the BCG back, so you need to help the bolt rotate the last little bit to disengage the lugs.
I already tried that but the bolt refuses to rotate even if i apply force in the rotiational direction so i think there's something seriously wrong with either the bolt head or the chamber. Gave up with the tinkering and returned it to the store earlier today, their gunsmith just scratched his head and said something like "Send it to FN, this is too strange for my blood" So it's going out with the mail tomorrow so i'm guessing i'll have to wait a while before i get it back. I can freely admit to beeing ever so slightly upset by all of this, since i live in Sweden and has had so jump through quite alot of legal hoops and paperwork to get the rifle in the first place with a 3 waiting period and also the rifle costs just over 2600USD here so i expected better quality control. Not used to guns breaking before i even get to try them out! The store better give me a good deal on some optics for the rifle when i get it back! Enough with the rant. I hope that FN will provide some sort of feedback and tell me what went wrong with the bolt on the rifle after it comes back from service. Also hope to God that they won't change it for another rifle because then i'll have to report the new serial number to the police and the handling time for gun related issues with the swedish police department is 3-6 months and it that time i won't be allowed to take home the rifle. So worst case scenario is however long it takes for FN to service the gun + 6 months to get it back :(

·
Vendor
1,774 Posts
Why did you return the whole rifle? Couldn't you just return the upper?

Or do you have to go through the entire process in Sweden, regrdless of if it is an upper or a lower?

Before that hassle, I would have tried unscrewing the delta ring and seeing if you can pull the barrel far enough out from the upper to let you work it against the bolt and possibly free it. The shame is that it might be something really stupid, like a metal chip in the cam track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you return the whole rifle? Couldn't you just return the upper?

Or do you have to go through the entire process in Sweden, regrdless of if it is an upper or a lower?

Before that hassle, I would have tried unscrewing the delta ring and seeing if you can pull the barrel far enough out from the upper to let you work it against the bolt and possibly free it. The shame is that it might be something really stupid, like a metal chip in the cam track.
Yeah i could've just given them the upper but since the serial number is stamped on the barrel, bolt and reciever the trigger group, buttstock and gas system wasn't of any use to me.
I figured it's better if they lost any of the small parts than if i do it :)

And Swedish gun law dictates that all the vital parts of the rifle ergo barrel, reciever and bolt needs to have matching numbers corresponding to those on my license or i'm comitting a crime, so if any of those parts are exchanged it has to be done by a gunsmith who then reports the change and the new serial numbers to the police who in turn update my license.
Still... we don't have a mag ban so it's not all bad.

But yeah i'm hoping it's something really simple like a bit of metal shaving so it's a quick repair.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow Dixieconstruct, not to rub anyone the wrong way, but I just reupped for the NAGR Frontline Defender program and I am glad I did as I don't want to go through what you had to ever, ever, ever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow Dixieconstruct, not to rub anyone the wrong way, but I just reupped for the NAGR Frontline Defender program and I am glad I did as I don't want to go through what you had to ever, ever, ever.
I don't think you have to worry about rubbing anyone the wrong way because the sheer amount of bureaucracy is mental.
The goverment here has an idea that the best way of curbing gun related crime is by punishing the legal gun owners instead of the criminals.
And the laws are actually quite lax for hunting, i also shoot handguns and the laws regulating them are properly ridiculous.
First you have to join a gun club and shoot there for 3 years with at least three gold series every year that's 46 points on a standard target at 25 meters one handed.
Then you can apply for a .22 license. After you have the .22 you can resubmit for a higher caliber after a couple of years if you can supply proof that you're an active competitor and submit results and a recommendation from your club.
Oh and the license is only for 5 years so after five years if the state thinks you're not active enough or even good enough they take away the weapon so the right of property doesn't apply to handguns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check your rails. I think they might be in wrong and catching on something.

Are you refering to the two flat push rods located under the forearm grip that connects the gasblock to the bolt?
If so then no they aren't catching.
In the video that system is completely disassembled so there's nothing to impede the bolts travel except for the bolt not turning properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so problem solved, i'm getting a new rifle.
Apparently something had gone wrong when the barrel was manufactured so the locking lugs weren't properly machined.
Only problem is that i'll have to apply for a new license since the police here in sweden won't let me simply change the serial number to that of the new rifle so i'll have a new rifle in six months or so:th_thud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts