FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I celebrated the first paycheck after paying off both car loans (about $800/month) by using some of that extra money to buy a new toy, one that I really don't need and will have no real use for other than having fun & ventilating soup cans-- a Walther/Umarex H&K 416 replica in .22LR, for just $575 shipped to my FFL dealer. Only 20% (or less) of the price of a "real" (5.56) semi-auto 416. Topped it off by ordering 3 spare mags as well, still deciding whether to pop for the folding front sight- I guess I'll wait till actually receiving the rifle before I decide on that.

(Stock photo from dealer website)

I know it doesn't really count as a Black Rifle, but it's a precise replica (apart from the caliber, no bolt assist and no bolt release) of the rifle that killed Bin Laden.

I couldn't think of a single better thing to spend my celebratin' money on. 8)

Photos will be posted with a full review once I get to shoot it.

Anyone else own one of these yet?

Reactions: Beecher Tool

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought one about four months ago and absolutely love it!!! I was surprised at how accurate mine was. I mounted a SightMark red dot on mine as well as some magpul rail ladders....that quad rail has some sharp edges. Extra mags have been tough to get lately, especially the 30 round mags. If you run across any let me know. Congrats on the new toy. You'll love it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got one of those to along with (2) Walther H&K MP5 .22lr. Read a lot of great reviews from the Walther HK clones. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot them yet, but trying to order some parts from HKparts.com great source for after market stuff (and NO i don't work for them or have any association with them) i'm currently deployed in Kabul. When you get a chance post some pictures..

V/R

T.Mac

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Lawdawg- HKParts.Net has 20-rd mags in stock, that's where I ordered my extras- Umarex HK 416 Magazine 20 Round 22LR - HKPARTS.NET is the link. $50 each. They are out of stock on 30s. They were the only site I found that even had 20s in stock. Those were the ones I wanted anyway, they are the closest in size to authentic AR mags.

Grabagun is where I bought the rifle, they only have 10rd mags in stock at the moment but they will email you if you sign up for a stock alert.

Animal- Be safe and thank you for your service, it's an honor to hear from you. I'll buy you a round when you get stateside if you can make it to the SE corner of Michigan.

Reactions: Animalt21

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger that J.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Congrats. Good luck on finding 22LR ammos. And let me know if you do find some. lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats. Good luck on finding 22LR ammos. And let me know if you do find some. lol
Since when is 22 hard to find? I have a pack of 250 Mini-Mags that I bought in December, I saw plenty on the shelf at that time. What did I miss?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Since when is 22 hard to find? I have a pack of 250 Mini-Mags that I bought in December, I saw plenty on the shelf at that time. What did I miss?
It's a little different now than it was in December as far as .22lr hi-vilocity goes. At least here anyways.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Very nice - thanks for sharing! :th_4_17_2:

·
Registered
787 Posts
January.

Things are a *lot* different now in the .22LR world everywhere I go. Plenty of .22 short and nothing else.

But if you have the right ammo on hand, your reasoning is sound. I really, REALLY enjoy my M&P 15-22 for the same reason as you enjoy your 416.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well technically I'm looking forward to enjoying it- and I think our reasons are the same- at least at a guess- the chance to have an accurate clone of a great rifle, at a fraction of the cost for the gun and the ammunition.

Am I close?

But seriously- 22 long rifle is sold out? I can understand this for the higher and/or more exotic calibers, but 22LR?

Regardless- thanks for the advice, I guess I'll put it on my to-do list for tomorrow- 250 rounds sounds like plenty but it's only 20 magazines.....:x

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't under sell da caliber, dude, killed many a bear wit it....Bear much meaner & tuffer than thug man....Beautiful work on da finances...Wish I could buy you a drink.....Which make's me wonder if we should have an fnh get-to-gether??? would that be KOOL!

Today I celebrated the first paycheck after paying off both car loans (about $800/month) by using some of that extra money to buy a new toy, one that I really don't need and will have no real use for other than having fun & ventilating soup cans-- a Walther/Umarex H&K 416 replica in .22LR, for just $575 shipped to my FFL dealer. Only 20% (or less) of the price of a "real" (5.56) semi-auto 416. Topped it off by ordering 3 spare mags as well, still deciding whether to pop for the folding front sight- I guess I'll wait till actually receiving the rifle before I decide on that.

(Stock photo from dealer website)

I know it doesn't really count as a Black Rifle, but it's a precise replica (apart from the caliber, no bolt assist and no bolt release) of the rifle that killed Bin Laden.

I couldn't think of a single better thing to spend my celebratin' money on. 8)

Photos will be posted with a full review once I get to shoot it.

Anyone else own one of these yet?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude- it's not a .223, it's a .22LR replica- and if you've killed bears with that round, I'll buy you a whole bottle....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomorrow is the big day, I heard from the dealer that all the paperwork is ready.. the rifle is ready for pickup.. I have the weekend off.... sounds like a road trip.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The Next Week- In Which I Find Out I'm a Better Gunsmith than the Guy at the Store

Picked up the Walther/HK today (woo-hooo!) and was a little perturbed that the dust cover latch assembly was not attached to the dust cover (doh!)! So the nice young lady who helped me do the transfer (thank you Tiffany, wherever you are) helped me find the spring and the catch where they fell on the floor, and we went back to the gunsmith. He looked the situation over and assured me that the dust cover was bent, which was why the catch didn't stay on. He made some mysterious adjustments and then handed it back to me. The cover still wouldn't latch. I decided, since it was getting late in the day, that I would contact Walther for warranty service and brought the gun home.

Still perturbed once I got home, I took the gun back out of the box and re-examined the catch and the dust cover. Luckily I was over a table, because the assembly fell out again. Now, it's been almost 15 years since I handled my M-16, but I think I know what a dust cover latch should look like. Which the gunsmith did not, because he had tried to install it UPSIDE DOWN. 60 seconds later it was where it belonged, hopefully to stay.

Which just leaves the question of who, at the Walther factory, put it on in the first place. I guess I still have to make that call....

Photos soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts