FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/61633-vehicle-broken-17s-gone.html

My first 17S (black for accuracy work, of course) was stolen as mentioned in the above link.

A few days ago, after the 30-days wait period that I was told by the assistant DA who handled the thief/car jacker case to give his office a chance to do the paperwork on the perp's guilty plead, then I can go and claim my gun from Bakersfield PD. I was all happy, heading down to Bakersfield PD Property Room with ID and gun shop receipt in hand ready to claim my baby. I figured I'd have to fill out some sort of paperwork.

Oh yeah, I gotta fill out the paperwork (very short, amazingly enough). However, I have to send the form along with police report, my driver's license, copy of gun receipt AND $20 check for processing fee to Sacramento California DOJ office for processing. The ladies at BPD property room were so nice and helpful. They typed out most of the form for me. Kern County is great, alas they still fall under Cal DOJ. The ladies told me it'd be another 2-6 months wait.

So I got pissed off and had my local shop sell me an FDE with an Eotech XPS2-2. Don't want to get caught short without a SCAR17S.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Congrats on the new SCAR, sorry to hear about the extra wait on the old one. But eventually you'll have two...which I suppose puts you ahead of the game in the long run.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I feel your frustration.
Will it still shoot the same? This would be running through my head all day and night.
Sorry to be the pessimist.
I have a hard time letting customer service guys step into my vehicle, let alone a possession like your current situation.
You deserve better.

A final question, what happens to the guys who dare take a 762 firearm or any?
Keep us updated on how much of a slap he gets in court and how the system worked to put him away.
I always wonder what our system holds true to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I find it funny they need to hold the evidence like their word and a photo wouldn't suffice. They held my stolen motorcycle for an extended period and one day out of the blue I called to check again and they said, sure come and get it. Almost like they and the impound lot had a gig going as I had to pay $15 a day. This was also pre court date, so I just don't get it as it was kind of arbitrary.
I

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I find it funny they need to hold the evidence like their word and a photo wouldn't suffice. They held my stolen motorcycle for an extended period and one day out of the blue I called to check again and they said, sure come and get it. Almost like they and the impound lot had a gig going as I had to pay $15 a day. This was also pre court date, so I just don't get it as it was kind of arbitrary.
I
Is there an daily impound fee on stolen firearms or is someone out there over-handling Falmans's 17s?
Sorry, to be a pessimist.

·
Registered
259 Posts
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/61633-vehicle-broken-17s-gone.html

My first 17S (black for accuracy work, of course) was stolen as mentioned in the above link.

A few days ago, after the 30-days wait period that I was told by the assistant DA who handled the thief/car jacker case to give his office a chance to do the paperwork on the perp's guilty plead, then I can go and claim my gun from Bakersfield PD. I was all happy, heading down to Bakersfield PD Property Room with ID and gun shop receipt in hand ready to claim my baby. I figured I'd have to fill out some sort of paperwork.

Oh yeah, I gotta fill out the paperwork (very short, amazingly enough). However, I have to send the form along with police report, my driver's license, copy of gun receipt AND $20 check for processing fee to Sacramento California DOJ office for processing. The ladies at BPD property room were so nice and helpful. They typed out most of the form for me. Kern County is great, alas they still fall under Cal DOJ. The ladies told me it'd be another 2-6 months wait.

So I got pissed off and had my local shop sell me an FDE with an Eotech XPS2-2. Don't want to get caught short without a SCAR17S.
That's BS, why do you have to pay to get back what's rightfully your's, and also suppose you didn't have a receipt, hence suppose you bought it from a private seller and didn't have a receipt, what would happen then ?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not sure if the cost would be worth it but id look into getting a lawyer, fnfalman--that's bull$hit!
They're idiots screwing around with you, and I'm willing to bet they cannot hold your property like that. I'd pay a lawyer $4000 be fore I'd let them keep my $2800 gun, damn commies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Ahh... California...

Friend of mine had a safe stolen with weapons in it. All were recovered. Had to wait for the court case to finish, as they were evidence.

When done he was able to pick up the items. The police dept., made sure he checked everything. I was there to help him, the items were well taken care of, and he did not have to pay any fee's. Just had to sign some paper work that everything was in order, and he took possession of them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The crooks that stole the gun will probably get a warning since California just passed a bill that makes gun theft a misdemeanor instead of a felony 😑

·
Registered
631 Posts
at least you are getting it back, the property room somehow lost my Mac11 after it was recovered

·
Registered
517 Posts
Too bad you can't charge the State/County a rental fee. I would call the prosecutor and ask him if he or the judge put in a restitution requirement in the plea or sentencing. If the case is still not sentenced I would be sure to request restitution at sentencing (sometimes there will be a separate 5 min hearing on restitution).

I wouldn't bother hiring a lawyer since the cost vs benefit and stress is not worth it over $20.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made it home and picked up the FDE 17S. I must admit that the color hadn't quite turned me "ghey" yet. Don't quite have the urge to put on a mauve sweater or anything...knock on wood. Got the Eotech XPS2-2 mounted on the gun where I like it, and already got a MagPul MS4 sling. Just need a good flashlight, probably another Inforce WML. I really like that flashlight on a rifle. Works well with the Beretta ARX100 and SCAR16S.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's unfortunate that you'll have to suffer through shooting far less accurate groups until you get your black rifle back. Congrats on the new (though less accurate) FDE 17s.:x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts