FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a used SCAR 17S recently, and it seems like it's in pretty good shape overall (like the seller stated), but I was wondering.... where would be best to check for wear on the parts, and what should I keep an eye out for?

Also, what are some good .308 loads that produce plenty of muzzle flash? I'm wanting to get some muzzle flash photos with the SCAR 17S. (I asked this question in a different thread but since a SCAR wasn't mentioned in the title I think a lot of people missed it).

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Hi all,

I bought a used SCAR 17S recently, and it seems like it's in pretty good shape overall (like the seller stated), but I was wondering.... where would be best to check for wear on the parts, and what should I keep an eye out for?

Also, what are some good .308 loads that produce plenty of muzzle flash? I'm wanting to get some muzzle flash photos with the SCAR 17S. (I asked this question in a different thread but since a SCAR wasn't mentioned in the title I think a lot of people missed it).

Thanks in advance
I don't think people missed your thread about ammo with large muzzle flash it more that most people try to find ways to keep the flash to a minimum and spend a good bit of money on effective flash hiders. It's more probably that no one can give you the exact info your asking on that subject.
PMC is about the only ammo that I know of that will give the best chances at a big muzzle flash and like other in your other thread have advised you, try doing your photos closer to dusk or indoor range.

As for wear on the SCARs probably about the only other places to really watch is on the bolt lugs. Some small pinged or dinged edges have been reported, I have seem these on one of my SCAR16 but not on my 17 and they have not become worst of created any problems. Some internal rail wear is to be expected and is normal. Don't try to slam shut the buttstock assembly or you could break the latch button. The cam pin will quickly show marks on it as long as they do not displace material that too is normal. The firing pin retaining pin with the o-ring should have a small drop of lube on it before trying to reinstall and it does not set flush when reinstalled, that to is normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts