FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,060 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just brought home another T as well. Have nearly 15k rounds through the first one and it’s still doing its thing just fine. Figured I might as well have another one. Got this one for just over $800 since it has the neutered 10rd mags and nobody seemed to want it. Wasn’t an issue for me as I have a pile of the stendos and 17 rounders anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just brought home another T as well. Have nearly 15k rounds through the first one and it’s still doing its thing just fine. Figured I might as well have another one. Got this one for just over $800 since it has the neutered 10rd mags and nobody seemed to want it. Wasn’t an issue for me as I have a pile of the stendos and 17 rounders anyway.
Very nice, just curious are you planning on putting an Apex trigger in one or both of them. Im debating on trying to put one .

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Very nice, just curious are you planning on putting an Apex trigger in one or both of them. Im debating on trying to put one .
Some friendly advice if you decide to Apex, purchase their disassembly fixture and watch their videos. Doing both will make the trigger install and life so much easier, ask either @akitainu or me how we know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some friendly advice if you decide to Apex, purchase their disassembly fixture and watch their videos. Doing both will make the trigger install and life so much easier, ask either @akitainu or me how we know.
Thanks for the advise, greatly appreciated.
I did watch the video as to I was thinking of putting one. I have a question watching the video it doesn’t show anything of putting the pin back on the fixture. When reinstalling the pin back from left to right I don't have to use the Fixture . Is the fixture just for the removal of the pin. Tia

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
I did watch the video as to I was thinking of putting one. I have a question watching the video it doesn’t show anything of putting the pin back on the fixture. When reinstalling the pin back from left to right I don't have to use the Fixture . Is the fixture just for the removal of the pin. Tia
There used to be a video with the girl from Apex showing how to use the fixture to reinstall that one PITA pin. I would strongly suggest you use it for both. There is more than one member who tried their (unfixtured) hand at a trigger install only to end up sending a broken frame back to the mothership.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ran 10-11k rounds on the factory trigger then decided to try out the Apex for the rest. By the time I decided to change it the factory bang switch was pretty smooth. Still not PPQ good but definitely not gritty like a new one. After the Apex went in it was back to more grit than the original but still better than a new factory one. My secret with the factory one was to put a tiny bit of lapping compound between the trigger sear and the striker and shoot the hell out of it. I ran about 1k rounds that way periodically cleaning the old compound off and reapplying. Made a big difference. This second one will just get the lapping compound treatment and that’s it. I’ll also second Seamac on the fixture for the install. Again YMMV.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There used to be a video with the girl from Apex showing how to use the fixture to reinstall that one PITA pin. I would strongly suggest you use it for both. There is more than one member who tried their (unfixtured) hand at a trigger install only to end up sending a broken frame back to the mothership.
Got it, i will look into that in YouTube, I didnt find one that one in the Apex website. That’s the last thing I want is a broken frame.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ran 10-11k rounds on the factory trigger then decided to try out the Apex for the rest. By the time I decided to change it the factory bang switch was pretty smooth. Still not PPQ good but definitely not gritty like a new one. After the Apex went in it was back to more grit than the original but still better than a new factory one. My secret with the factory one was to put a tiny bit of lapping compound between the trigger sear and the striker and shoot the hell out of it. I ran about 1k rounds that way periodically cleaning the old compound off and reapplying. Made a big difference. This second one will just get the lapping compound treatment and that’s it. I’ll also second Seamac on the fixture for the install. Again YMMV.
Definitely i will buy the fixture, when I decide to swap it. Right now I’m stoked to have it, and get some downrange time with it stock. Thanks for the advise and @SeaMac

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Congrats on the new 509T.

It's already been said a couple times, but using the fixture both for driving the pin out and replacing it makes things a hell of a lot easier. The first one I did I only used it to drive the pin out. Spent a lot of time and choice words trying to get it back into place without the fixture. Ended up mushrooming the pin, dinging the frame (just cosmetic), and scaring the cats. Once I got a new pin, I started from scratch and fixed my first f-up and did two more triggers in a fraction of the time I spent on the first one.

Few other tips:
Watch the vid once before starting and then pause/work through it.

Make sure your work surface is rock solid. I have a heavy desk, and that still gave too much bounce...ended up using the tile floor.

Make sure you have good light.

Keep all the little fire control assembly parts in sight. I have a work mat with little compartments, it works great for project like this. Still managed to have a spring go free-range on me. Spent ten minutes crawling around with a flashlight in my teeth.

Honestly, other than the pin, the actual install is fairly straightforward.

Enjoy the hell out of that new tactical.

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts

It's already been said a couple times, but using the fixture both for driving the pin out and replacing it makes things a hell of a lot easier. The first one I did I only used it to drive the pin out. Spent a lot of time and choice words trying to get it back into place without the fixture. Ended up mushrooming the pin, dinging the frame (just cosmetic), and scaring the cats. Once I got a new pin, I started from scratch and fixed my first f-up and did two more triggers in a fraction of the time I spent on the first one.

Few other tips:

Make sure your work surface is rock solid. I have a heavy desk, and that still gave too much bounce...ended up using the tile floor.

Keep all the little fire control assembly parts in sight. I have a work mat with little compartments, it works great for project like this. Still managed to have a spring go free-range on me. Spent ten minutes crawling around with a flashlight in my teeth.

Yep! What @akitainu said, definitely use a hard surface for pin pounding, I used the garage floor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Few other tips:

Thank you for the detailed advise. I will definitely do that. I would need to go to MGW to order the pins. Last time I checked they were out, so I'm on the notification list right now.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Thank you for the detailed advise. I will definitely do that. I would need to go to MGW to order the pins. Last time I checked they were out, so I'm on the notification list right now.
I only needed a new pin on the first one (the one I screwed up). On the other two, the original pins stayed in shape.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I strongly recommend that you use the fixture on a concrete floor for both removal and reinstall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts