FN Herstal Firearms banner

Which gun, size, caliber would you choose?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start this off with what I currently have and what gap I'm looking to fill.
Right now, I have a FN503 subcompact for my glovebox/pocket carry gun.
Also have a 509C with a Streamlight and Trijicon RMR for a nightstand gun (with the 15rd magazine for a full grip).

I've just been drooling over the USP lately. The proportions of the full size look amazing, but I have only had the chance to hold a USP Compact. It fit my hand well. Given this is 2021 and availability is scarce, can I go wrong with either for a SHTF gun? Should I hold out for a full size to benefit from the longer barrel? This is not something I would conceal.

Tailing off that... I am somewhat bummed that the USP doesn't already have an optics-ready slide like the VP9. That said - in a SHTF situation, would that even matter? Obviously special forces around the world have gotten by with the gun in stock form for the last 27 years.

Another note... I keep seeing 40SW models WAY cheaper than the 9mm versions and capacity is the same. Ammo is obviously a little more expensive, but since the USP was designed around the 40SW cartridge, so would it be a good buy? I have a stash of 9mm I bought last year, but I don't own any 40SW ammo.

One more layer of complexity and I'm done here. My gun shop has a VP9 for $650, which is below market value compared to gunbroker listings. They have a USP Compact 40SW as well, but I don't remember the price. Initially I thought I'd grab a full size 9 USP and be done, but I'm not willing to pay $900+ for one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You need a full size gun in the stable. You don't need a red dot (unless your eyes have gone). May as well get a big boy caliber while you're at it ;) USP is also offered in 45 auto FYI. Should be a fine pistol either way.

The C in Compact is for Compromise. We use small cartridges and poor sight length in carry guns because we have to find a balance between concealability, comfort and capability. For a range or bedside gun it's All about Capability. No need to compromise with a little gun.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
I have the full-sized USP in 9mm, a USP Compact in .40, and a VP9. They are all solid, reliable pistols. You really couldn't go wrong with any of them. Slight Disclaimer: Keep in mind that statement is based on my whopping experience of one variant of each model.
I haven't kept up with prices, as I'm not in the market, but I do recall some very good deals on the .40 HK's before everyone got "gun fever". Of course if you can't find any ammo, a good deal isn't really much to get excited about. Given the current situation, adding a new caliber is much more of a consideration than it normally would be.
Good luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One thing to factor in if we get back to normal supply on the ammo side, is, prior to panic pricing, 40 and 9 had basically evened out in price. All the PDs going back to 9 shifted that supply/demand line, and if we do get back to normal, I anticipate the price difference being negligible.

I don't mind the HK hammer guns (haven't messed with their striker guns); they're very smooth shooters, although I prefer the FNX SA trigger. Beware that mag release is easier to trip than a traditional release. Otherwise they're fine pieces of equipment.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
The USP models are superior made to the VP9 and Hence the price differential.
To me the USP was and is the best of the plastic service pistols breed. I mean, grip ergonomics aside, that is. The gun is built like an AK - a brick that was meant to take on the rigors of war.

the caliber is 9mm because Mr. Nine is mighty Fine.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I have a USP9 full size, a USP9 Expert, a USP45 Compact. The USP45 full size’s grip is simply too big for my hands to grab onto for a nice blasting session. I can manage the USPC45 because it doesn’t have the double stack mag of the full size.

and a VP9 too. It’s okay when compared to the cheaper plastic service guns but definitely not USP level.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Vp9 would be last option. Personally love the usp but have no experience with compact. How diff is a usp compact and 45 compact 🤷‍♂️. But full size is bad ass. I like my usp tac a million times more than the fnx tac. But if optic is important to you I guess fnx tac or vp9l would be your best options. You should try out the p30 with lem trigger 😍

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would agree with "bruteandbear1" the KK P30 is a great gun. The P30L is even better. You can configure with night sights. They take the same mags as the VP9. I would go with 9mm, in particular if that is the caliber that you currently shoot. The other thing you out to consider is buying the supplies to reload as they become available- primers, projectiles, powder, single stage press and dies in 9mm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you like DA/SA guns? The USP is somewhat configurable is what trigger style but you only have other striker guns listed. I would try one out to see if you like the different pulls first.
I voted vp9. Excellent trigger out of the box and you wouldn’t have to change much for what you’re already shooting. They are pretty modular in terms of grip and can be milled for a dot easily enough. (Which is also a plus, if you can use a dot, then why wouldn’t you).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned one of the early USP Compact in 40 and eventually sold it. With the long mag the grip was tolerable, but should have bought the full size which fit my hand better. Solid gun though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I owned one of the early USP Compact in 40 and eventually sold it. With the long mag the grip was tolerable, but should have bought the full size which fit my hand better. Solid gun though.
This is how I started my fetish with H&K handguns as well. The USPc.40 was my first. Loved everything about it except the small (for my hand) grip and sharp recoil. It was just too much to handle as a result. I ended up trying the USP .45 (full size) and the rest is history. I own one in OD Green, Tan, and Urban Gray. One of the finest handguns ever built. I keep one in my bedside safe in case there's a bump in the night.

I also own a Mark 23, couple of P9S 9mm variants, and a couple of P7 variants. These are actually my favorite H&K pistols to shoot, and feel even more "special" than the USP .45, but the venerable USP is just a marvelous "utility" pistol that you can beat to hell without worrying about its value, scratching it up, etc. This is why the USP will always keep a special place in my safe. It's a practical gun that you'll want with you when the zombie apocalypse comes. It feels good, it looks good, and it will never fail or break on you. The perfect .45, in my humble opinion.

FWIW, I've also owned several of the polymer 9mm pistols (USP 9mm, USP 9mm SD, P2000sk), but none of them compare to the classic P9S and P7 series, so I just stick to .45acp if I want a modern, plastic H&K.

Get a USP .45. You'll not be disappointed one bit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts