FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I bought my first FN product today and it is a FNS 9mm with long slide. I was excited by my new purchase until I spotted a suspicious crown damage.
P7025582s.JPG
As you can see in the picture, there is a shiny and smooth stripe from the lower left land, across the lower left groove, to the bottom land. I can't tell if it's a cut, a scratch, or just chipped paint. I am not sure if FN will replace my barrel with a new one or simply re-crown it, but I can't accept the latter option.
Could some one please verify if their FNS's have similar symptoms? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on the matter but with the photo provided it looks cosmetic to me. Perhaps have a 'smith take a look see...

Hi all I bought my first FN product today and it is a FNS 9mm with long slide. I was excited by my new purchase until I spotted a suspicious crown damage.
View attachment 28990
As you can see in the picture, there is a shiny and smooth stripe from the lower left land, across the lower left groove, to the bottom land. I can't tell if it's a cut, a scratch, or just chipped paint. I am not sure if FN will replace my barrel with a new one or simply re-crown it, but I can't accept the latter option.
Could some one please verify if their FNS's have similar symptoms? Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was this noticed during cleaning? Was it noticed on closer inspection before cleaning? Have you cleaned the pistol? Can you remove the barrel and take pictures? Taking the barrel to a gunsmith would be a good idea as it may save time if there is no problem.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Can you feel any difference? or is it purely cosmetic?

I haven't seen any crown defects on FN barrels in the past.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fn usually makes good barrels. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a defect on my fnx barrel I bought a few years ago. FN took care of it with a new barrel. Give them a call, they'll take care of you.

Congrats on the new FN!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a defect on my fnx barrel I bought a few years ago. FN took care of it with a new barrel. Give them a call, they'll take care of you.

Congrats on the new FN!
Thanks!
Could you tell me how defect your barrel is?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was this noticed during cleaning? Was it noticed on closer inspection before cleaning? Have you cleaned the pistol? Can you remove the barrel and take pictures? Taking the barrel to a gunsmith would be a good idea as it may save time if there is no problem.
I did clean the gun. I usually clean my guns before taking them to first shots. I didn't notice if it was there before cleaning.
I will take the gun to a smith and let him check it over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you feel any difference? or is it purely cosmetic?

I haven't seen any crown defects on FN barrels in the past.
I gently scrubbed over the suspicious area and the intact part of the crown with a tooth pick and I can't tell the difference. I haven't fired the gun so I don't know if it affects the accuracy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a small dimple or bulge inside the barrel. I had some poor communication with CS at first (they weren't showing that they had my barrel and didn't know where it was) but FN got me out a barrel within 3 weeks I believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats a mark left from when they finish the barrel. I'd just shoot the gun.
I just went back from a gun shop. The trainee first examined for five minutes and told me it won't interfere with the bullet, but it's better to wait and let the real gun smith take a look.
So I waited for the smith to come and check the barrel. He confirmed it's only cosmetic problem, so I think there is no need to call FN.
I will take this gun to a range this weekend. I believe it's way more accurate than I am, given everything works as supposed to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took some close-ups on the good side and "not-so-good" side of the crown. The machining marks look identical to me.
P7035586s.JPG
P7035595s.JPG

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Get some carbon and copper in there and you'll never notice :?

Honestly, a couple of my guns could look like that at this point (my SIG P938 has some variances in the finish on the crown, doesn't seem to affect accuracy).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just brought it to the range for the first time. Managed to put 5 rounds in a one inch group from 10 yards away. Two handed standing stance.
CAM00277.jpg
The gun itself should be able to put one big hole instead!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Well, I'd say that gives a pretty clear picture on how the crown is :?

Excellent shooting! ::!!!::

·
Registered
19 Posts
The crown is the last gun accuracy influential thing the bullet sees as it leaves the barrel. I've been around enough barrel manufacturing to emphatically state, "That barrel was NOT built to print." It shoots well in spite of FN's worst efforts. AC

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good shooting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts