FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just purchased a brand new FDE Scar17s yesterday. Today I loaded up the factory 10 round magazine with winchester .308. I started shooting it for the first time, and the second round jammed on the feed ramps at a pretty nasty angle. I dropped the mag and pulled the bolt back, popped the mag back in and shot the rest of the magazine with no problems. I loaded a second magazine with fiocchi 150 grain rounds. I got about 4 rounds down the pipe with no problems, and then pulled the trigger and chunks of plastic and metal spit into my face. Good thing I was wearing safety glasses.

scarbroken.jpg

What happened? I checked the brass case and there was no signs of overpressure or splitting, and the bolt looks fine. It like destroyed the plastic around the feed ramps. I've been shooting this .308 ammo out of my AR10, with no problems. I spent a ton of money on this gun and I am really dissapointed because it took forever to find one in FDE around me locally. The gun shop basically told me I could bring it in, but they would need to do a full diagnoses on it because they have never heard of this happening. I would assume there is some sort of nasty manufacture defect with my weapon?

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
That "cut out" at the top of the magwell is normal for the SCARs. Don't know how chunks of plastic and metal could spit into your face?? Are you a lefty? What ammo were you using?

Edit: OP posted ammo type as I was posting.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sadly that's normal. It's done by FNH when they import the part. Wish they got a US company to mold their lowers so they didn't have to grind the corner to remove fixed mag. I forget the exact law that makes them import like that but, it's saving lives everyday! Good work DOJ!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That torn up plastic and exposed bright steel is actually part of the manufacturing. Both my 16 and 17 lower receivers have the same stuff exposed/missing. I actually never noticed it on my 17 until I got my 16, then had to go and double check. I'llpost a picture if you really want.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Check out the raw metal and damaged plastic right below the feed ramp, thats what was chucked back at me
Would you post a few more photos at other angles? Make sure you save the brass casing, the empty ammo box, and any unfired rounds that are left from that box. It is always a good practice to bag and tag the ammo when a firearm becomes damaged during use.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
As many have already mentioned it's normal.

Hard to tell from the pic but the plastic around the metal is shaved as well.

I'd check other part of the rifle thoroughly. And make sure you got hit from something that came from inside the rifle and not ricochet from bullet or whatever the bullet hit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Requesting more pictures and information from OP. Both side of the rifle, the guts of lower/upper, and the pieces that was spitted on your face please.

I don'r understand how are things spit on your face when the upper appears to be intact in the picture. Still doesnt make sense even if you are lefty. Unless your face wasn't next to the stock like you should.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
OP Stated, "chunks of plastic and metal spit into my face." This has nothing to do with the grinding down of the lower for removal of the pin for ITAR. Although his picture shows nothing it has nothing to do with what he stated.

BBG-

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Since just about EVERYONE here who owns a SCAR knows that bare metal in the upper left corner of the mag well is NORMAL. We also know it could NOT be the source of any flying objects or debris. In light of that I have two pertinent questions for the OP.

1) Did you clean your 17s prior to shooting it the first time? It IS rather important to do so as they arrive from birth coated in cosmoline, failure to do so has been the cause of various and sundry maladies although I don't believe anyone has heard of flying debris being a result.

2) What kind of magazines are you using? Personally I would check your mags carefully to see if any of them are missing pieces.

Lastly, the photo you posted shows nothing abnormal or out of the ordinary and every SCAR owner present can post a photo that is identical to yours.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hope op managed to find the pieces that hit his face. If not I would not exclude the possibility that a piece of empty brass bounced back and hit him.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Stay on topic.

Thread cleaned.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you clean and oil it prior to firing it? They ship from the factory with some wax like crap. I could see it happening if it wasn't cleaned first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts