FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a fnp 40 from bass pro the other day. I am actually leaving the house right now to go to the range and run 100 Through it! Can't wait! Here she is!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
etex said:
Congratulations! Nice pistol.Be sure to get you free shooters pack from FN. Ordered mine thru the mail and got in about 9 business days. The holster is very nice and the service was great!

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/promos/09shooterspack.asp
WOW! Thanks you verrry much for linking that, im going to get a copy of my atf form from them tomorrow and send in for that looks very nice. Thanks again!

As for a range report! Put 100 Through it today. All Flawless. Not even a Little hiccup. Solid gun, feels amazing. Love about everything about it!. Im going to go out on a limb here, and post a pic of my target after 50. Im a duck hunter, and just getting back into pistol shooting. So give me a break :) cause well, i sucked... haha here it is

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah man thats pretty rough. I have noticed i have some trouble with shooting my fnp 9 accurately. I can shoot a decent spread but not as tight as i would like. I think I just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
klampton317 said:
yeah man thats pretty rough. I have noticed i have some trouble with shooting my fnp 9 accurately. I can shoot a decent spread but not as tight as i would like. I think I just have to get used to it.
Oh for sure, im in no way disappointed, as our range here that i was at is indoor, and the lighting is poor out to 20+ yards.. so i was shooting prolly at 20-25 yards, where i should have been around 10 specially being my first time shooting it, but i just couldn't see it well enough so i went further. Picked up some pointers from some guys there as to using bright orange stickers or Bright playing cards to help with the visibility there close range, and will be trying that next time. At a much shorter distance :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't be to hard on yourself. That doesn't look that bad at 25 yds, poor lighting and your first time shooting. In Texas CHL classes we qualify at 3, 7, and 15yards so 25 is pretty long range pistol shooting for a newbie in my book. My free holster came with a paddle attachment that is not pictured also. I paid $450.00 new. These FN pistols are an excellent value especially with 3 magazines and the free goodies in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
My first targets looked like that with my 9. I was/still kinda am a newb to pistols (got the gun about a month after I turned 21), but my groups have improved significantly now that I have put about 1300 rounds through it.

I too am a waterfowl and upland bird hunter (with some turkey and rabbit mixed in there), so shooting a pistol was a big difference. I still usually only shoot at around 10 yards, but thankfully, my range is very well lit at all distances

Actually, I haven't been shooting for about 2 1/2 months, so my groups will probably look like crap again :oops:
I really hope not. :-?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I am good at 7 yards - I semi suck at 15 abd really suck at 25.

Practice at 7 and then move out. 7 and less is a likely self defense distance.

15-25 yards, and U will have a hard time justifying self defense in a real life scenario (such things are usually reserved for tv and movies)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ShipWreck said:
I am good at 7 yards - I semi suck at 15 abd really suck at 25.

Practice at 7 and then move out. 7 and less is a likely self defense distance.

15-25 yards, and U will have a hard time justifying self defense in a real life scenario (such things are usually reserved for tv and movies)
Response like this and all the ones i've been receiving is exactly why i joined! thanks guys! im going to go 7-10yds next time im out and see how the target looks! I just read the How to on the mag lock reversal and did it. And i like that a lot better strong side i think. Im going to see how it works out tuesday when i get back out to the range!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I do 90% of my shooting at 7 yards. I just keep trying to get better and better groups at this distance. Sometimes I go out to 10. I rarely do 15.

I actually scored a 250 out of 250 on my last CHL renewal. But, the silhouette is a little larger than the tiny 8x100 sheet of paper I shoot at. At 7 yards, I try to keep all my shots w/i about 5 inches.

I actually do pretty well, compared to a lot of guys at the range, as I watch. But, I never do as well as I wish I could, I suppose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also do probably 95% percent of my shooting at 7 or so yards. I have been getting very good at shooting that range. what I'm trying to really get down is the form, perfecting the muscle memory... all that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have a ways to go! But im not giving up on it! Going to start shooting 7-10 yards and stay there till i see improvement

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
ShipWreck said:
At 7 yards, I try to keep all my shots w/i about 5 inches.

I actually do pretty well, compared to a lot of guys at the range, as I watch. But, I never do as well as I wish I could, I suppose.
I usually do about 40 rounds a target and the last couple of times I was at the range I was able to do just about all 40 within about a 7 inch circle (a couple targets were better and others had a couple of fliers).

The times I've been at the range, there's been some newbies who I do much better than, but then there's always a couple guys who have targets with all their rounds in a 3 inch circle. They must shoot a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zoomin said:
Im going to go out on a limb here, and post a pic of my target after 50. Im a duck hunter, and just getting back into pistol shooting. So give me a break :) cause well, i sucked... haha here it is
Don't worry about it :). Get a snap-cap for that pistol, put a target up somewhere in the house where you can get back 7 yards or so away, and dry-fire, dry-fire and dry-fire some more. One top shooter refers to shooting as "dry-firing, only with a bang." :)

Dry-firing practice really does work. I never used to believe it, but then I tried it. Produced a remarkable improvement in my combat shooting skills.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shootin4fun said:
Zoomin said:
Im going to go out on a limb here, and post a pic of my target after 50. Im a duck hunter, and just getting back into pistol shooting. So give me a break :) cause well, i sucked... haha here it is
Don't worry about it :). Get a snap-cap for that pistol, put a target up somewhere in the house where you can get back 7 yards or so away, and dry-fire, dry-fire and dry-fire some more. One top shooter refers to shooting as "dry-firing, only with a bang." :)

Dry-firing practice really does work. I never used to believe it, but then I tried it. Produced a remarkable improvement in my combat shooting skills.
Just ordered some today! cant wait!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts