FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from taking my new SCAR 16 and FNX .45 tactical.. Both in the more Accurate Blacktical color scheme.

An let me say im one ticked off guy, yet happy at the same time. That is probably due to the fact that my beautiful SCAR 16 shoots like a breeze and whatever the ACOG pointed at, it destroyed. I wish i could say the same about my FNX 45tac, but I cant.

So I load all three magazines with federal .45 and get ready to shoot. I insert a mag rack it back it feels kinda stiff, really stiff actually grinding like almost? Release the slide and it goes into battery just fine, flick the safety off, squeeze an click, the hammer returned to the position like i used the decocker and didnt shoot weird? So i take the mag out un-chamber the round and set it aside. Re-rack the pistol an shoot, it goes BOOM, also failure to eject the round ended up stuck parallel to the barrel an no other round fed obviously. So now I'm like umm hrmm. I clear the weapon set it down disassemble&reassemble, insert a different magazine. I rack the gun back and this time the range was quiet no one was shooting and i kinda felt and heard a grinding type noise. So while holding the slide back i look down and notice a scratch or gouge along the top of the round in the magazine a VERY noticeable gouge. I release the slide and it fails to feed. I take it out clear the weapon and insert the last of the magazines i have that came with it. Same thing it gouged the round and its doing this so hard you can feel it. So i locked the slide back dropped the mag and disassembled the firearm again. This time i noticed in the middle of the slide in the rear 1/3rd there is a "rail" that the hammer glides on. This has what appears to be brass discoloring it like its been rubbed hard against it and deposited. Then i figure out that this is the part that slides right over the round in the top of the magazine. I also notice some marring on the hammer and the rear of the slide right where this "rail" meets the end where the first contact with the hammer is and it meets the hammer at a slight angle like there is some bad tolerances going on. I try one last time and get it to seat a round into battery, fire it and failure to eject round is parallel to the barrel once more. So i call fn and they closed 3 mins before i called.

The great news, Im leaving for a backpacking trip for 7 days tomorrow, this was going to be my sidearm i carried while on said trip. An ill have to wait a week to be able to ship it off to FN. (hopefully i wont recieve this horrible customer service i hear about, and hopefully theyll send me something for my troubles like some scar 16 mags)

·
Registered
20 Posts
FN ships the FNX with a rust preventative and a bunch of grease that should be removed and the replaced with actual lubricant before shooting. Its in the manual. Not sure if that could cause such a serious failure but food for though.

Mine came with a badly warped frame. Apparently its common in cheap production polyguns like FN and glock. I owned a HK USP for years and had never heard about these issues... FN clearly needs to work on production standards. If FN wont fix my gun I'm going back to HK and never looking back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a hk45 tac, and havent had one problem in almost 2k rounds, ive shot it side by side with my tavor and that has 2k +. There is no excuse for the lack of precision on this FNX that i recieved. Im convinced that some tolerances in the slide are off. There is no way it should be physically removing material from the cases of the rounds that are in the magazine. Its obviously outta whack. Ill be on the phone first thing tomorrow kissing ass trying to work around the horrible reputation for customer service they have to get my issue resolved. An hopefully sent out and received back in a timely manor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For those who are getting FTF (failure to feed) these are some common causes (applicable to most blow-back operated weapons):
* weak loads not cycle the slide far enough back to get behind the bullet = slide drags across case 2x.
* stiff recoil spring causes same " "
* weak mag spring
* mag lips are too tight

Th12t33n I doubt these are your problem though. It makes me wonder how the gun passed it's test fire.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hope you get it squared away with little hassle. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, hope you get the problem resolved with as little pain as possible in a timely manner, good luck !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas i appreciate it.

As far as the reasons youve listed phixion like you said i doubt its those. When i rack it back initially before i even tried to fire, it was scraping the **** out of the top bullet in the mag. It appears to be that the slide has a little hump there where the middle raised section meets the back of the slide where it makes contact with the hammer, seems to be asymetrical and out of proportion/shape. Ill have picks soon, like i said i have a damn backpacking trip to go on soon and i have to leave this at home and just think about it the whole time =(((

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Take some pics before you send it off.

Does it make the grinding sound when racking the slide without a mag in it? And did you clean it first? How about the firing pin retaining plate-is it flush with the firing pin channel (said 'rail')?

What concerns me the most is that the hammer didn't fall all the way when you first tried to fire it.

On a side note for the removing material from the cases: all of my pistols do this (you can see where the slide moves over it, can't feel it, just a slight visual mark). My pistols are FNP-9, FNX 45 Tac, Dan Wesson CCO, SIG P938, and even my M&P 22 though its much less noticeable.

Reactions: Donnie

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
It appears to be that the slide has a little hump there where the middle raised section meets the back of the slide where it makes contact with the hammer, seems to be asymetrical and out of proportion/shape.
The only raised portion of that middle section should be about a 1/4" from the face of the slide (when the slide is closed, it'll be over the top bullet in the mag). This should be smooth with a smooth angled portion that drops a mm or two and stays that level back to the hammer.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles Th12t33n. It sounds like djv38 knows his stuff, sounds like good pertinent things to check. I will say though, it should be able to fire right out of the box. I don't think I've ever fired a gun without cleaning it first, but this sounds more like something is out of whack, seems like it would function a little better even if some grease was on it...but you never know. A good question was does it do it without the magazine inserted...I can't help but think this is a simple fix. I'd recommend checking on djv38's rundown of things though. A factory defect in the slide itself or frame is possible, but so rare that it's unlikely. And good luck with it...if it's a defect of some sort, I'm quite sure FN will take care of it for you. Worst case scenario is they take a little longer than you want. But I think if it's a defect of sort, that FN will be ultra quick about fixing it. I recommend when you talk to them, that you say you inquired about possible solutions from your friends on the FN forum prior to calling them, and you're unable to resolve the issue yourself. Remain nice as you speak with them. By bringing up the FN forum, I believe they will know their customer service will be mentioned on the forum, and people are waiting for updates on your situation. No company wants their reputation smeared on their products forum. Be nice, mention you tried to figure it out with your friends on the forum, express a pleasant mood and even a little humor about the situation, and great customer service will rain down upon you I bet. But check on djv38's advice first...I think one of his mentions will be your fix.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you disassembled the pistol, removed the factory rust preventative and lubricated the pistol paying close attention to the “cartridge guide surface” (P.35 Figure 25) before the first use? When you loaded the magazine did you load it to capacity of 15 rounds? Is it possible when you first tried to fire the pistol you accidentally hit the “safety/decocking lever” (my brother did the same thing)? Have you tried loading the magazines to 10 rounds or have you tried inserting a magazine to capacity with the slide locked back? The magazines are very stiff and it can be difficult to load and insert into the pistol (slide closed) when new so loading the magazines to capacity for a few days to a week prior to first use can prevent this problem. I noticed the same thing when I first loaded a brand new magazine to capacity and chambered a cartridge (230gr) I noticed the cartridge was scratched from the “cartridge guide surface”. Were you using 185gr or 230gr 45 ACP ammunition? Does the "cartridge guide surface" of the pistol look like the one pictured on page 35 figure 25 or does it look out of spec?

·
Registered
637 Posts
My first one was a total dog. Every other round was either a ftf or fte. I tried every fix. Nothing worked. I never made it through a magazine. The internals looked like 3 times the rounds had been put through it. I got rid of it.
I liked other aspects of the gun and decided to give it one more try. I picked up another one. It has run flawlessly. Every brand of ammo including a little Tulammo. Runs like a top and really accurate. The gun feels much different. Much looser. My first one was so stiff. I couldn't handload rounds in the mag past about 12. The new one I can load without bursting a blood vessel in my head. There is also almost no visible signs of the gun having ever been fired. Weird huh? Not sure what FN did between batches.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My first one was a total dog. Every other round was either a ftf or fte. I tried every fix. Nothing worked. I never made it through a magazine. The internals looked like 3 times the rounds had been put through it. I got rid of it.
I liked other aspects of the gun and decided to give it one more try. I picked up another one. It has run flawlessly. Every brand of ammo including a little Tulammo. Runs like a top and really accurate. The gun feels much different. Much looser. My first one was so stiff. I couldn't handload rounds in the mag past about 12. The new one I can load without bursting a blood vessel in my head. There is also almost no visible signs of the gun having ever been fired. Weird huh? Not sure what FN did between batches.
Your new one sounds like mine, although I could tell it had been fired at the factory (probably a mag). Just a tiny bit of wear on the barrel, but obviously very minimal.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
These guns are generally tight when new. The packing grease must be removed. When firing the gun it must be shot with a firm grip. Especially when the gun is new.

·
Registered
148 Posts
FNP-45 now more than a year old. I did clean it as instructed when taken out for first use. I also use only 230 gr and I was only loading 5 rounds in the mag for a while. My daughter limp wristed one shot and that has been the only issue with this gun besides the cases that come back at you when new. Oh and it is quite accurate. I do rather well with it at 50' with a variety of ammo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well as weird as it sounds, The FNX NOOB thread about problems with the guns solved mine. As much as i didnt wanna believe they would they did. I bought 2 boxes of tula, and left my slide back for 7 days, Took em to the range and it ran 99 outa 100 fine, the last round stove piped(probably because it was undercharged tula and i got lucky with the other 99) So i tried some of my fathers reloads that are a little light, and abot every 13/15 worked fine, So im seeing some major improvement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts