FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase an fnx40 and noticed slight bulging in the fired cases. Concerned about chamber support I dropped a round in the breech and found that the chamber is fairly loose. Measured it at .430 at the breech end. I'm wanting to do some serious reloading with 40 specifically with this gun but am concerned about safety. Is the fnx 40 any better than a glock in this respect? Should I trade her in on another caliber?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't answer your question, but the last 50 40 rounds I resized, about 5 of them where extra tight going onto the resizer die. Came out fine and extra shiny. RCBS Carbide dies

·
Administrator
12,041 Posts
I recently purchase an fnx40 and noticed slight bulging in the fired cases. Concerned about chamber support I dropped a round in the breech and found that the chamber is fairly loose. Measured it at .430 at the breech end. I'm wanting to do some serious reloading with 40 specifically with this gun but am concerned about safety. Is the fnx 40 any better than a glock in this respect? Should I trade her in on another caliber?
Some firearms in the .40 cal class do not have very good chamber support. Glocks are bad in this aspect.

My .40 cal is an H&K and one of the reasons that I bought it was due to the chamber support it offered over other firearms. Any brass that is fired from a .40 with an unsupported chamber will have a 'bulge' in it. You can get a pass through die that will restore the brass but the brass will generally be weak at the area of the previous bulge and if fired in the same unsupported chamber, in the same position, etc etc etc ... there is a chance of failure of the brass.

Check for forum, there are several threads on unsupported barrels that address your concerns.

40SWchmbr-2.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts