FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all scar lovers,

I have been creeping on this forum for while and learned a lot! I have a black 17 that shoots and runs great suppressed and unsuppressed. The question I have is does your brass look like mine? The bass is de-linked m-80 ball. It is IVI 70 head stamped. The rifle does this to all brass though. The chamber leaves a pronounced ring around the neck just above the shoulder. It also leaves a ring right on the point of the shoulder. Is this how everyone else's looks? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Consensus is they all do it, mine for sure does. It has been discussed a few times. I have been told it doesnt affect reloading. (Not sure cuz I personally do not reload....yet =) )

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I have the markings and worse than that on CBC ball. PRVI holds up well but still has some scratches. Better than some HK rifles from what I hear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nothing at all unusual. The ring isn't an issue at all and is just a carbon ring or minor surface scratch (depending on how hard the case is) from the case fire-forming in the chamber. Most of the time, it will be gone after tumbling, sizing, and trimming. Certainly not something to contact FN about. HK roller locks are much worse, but the brass is still reloadable afterwards with careful inspection and good prep.

If you ever encounter brass that you don't think is safe to reload - scrap it. It doesn't matter if it is new brass or once/twice/thrice/etc. loaded or some guy gave it to you and said it was safe. Make your own judgements on brass. If you think that the integrity of the brass is not up to reloading just don't use it. It is not unusual to cull 10-25% of brass per batch depending on source, load, etc. Over the weekend, I just helped a friend set up shoulder bump for his sizing die for some primed Lake City brass that was purchased as "new" from a big online retailer. Out of 1000 rounds, we probably scrapped 85 cases since there were issues in the brass that just didn't look safe to load. YMMV.

·
Registered
609 Posts
couple hours in a tumbler will clean it right up.

sort by weight. i take the lightest weight brass dremel off the bass of one at the web just ahead of the rim and examine thickness. if it looks really thin i put the bunch of it after a couple of different samples are cut from different head stamps, the lot of it goes into a recycle bin for sale to a scarpper at a later date.

vx1c.jpg

same headstamp difference is the ammount of times reloaded and trimmed. weight gives a good idea to whats been through the loader a few too many times and should have one cut up to check thickness.

Powder marks aren't an issue long as the case isn't coming out jet black in huge swatches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts