FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new 16s has been working hard to break me in for a couple of weeks now.

My idea of familiarization in this case is to make many short trips to the range and run a lot of rounds through the rifle, snaking the bore every trip and doing 3 proper cleanings so far with CLP and M-Pro 7 oils. Uber "cheap" Wolf/Tula steel case .223 ammo has cycled just fine, though it no doubt hasn't helped with pinpoint accuracy or consistency. But hey, 1000 rounds of it seemed like a good way to simply go through the familiarization process with the rifle. I'll feed it some proper 5.56 later when I'm broken-in. :icon_think:

As smooth as the action is on the SCAR, the sound of the bolt carrier against the aluminum rails just grates on me. The combination of materials just doesn't inspire visions in my head for long-term durability. I wouldn't expect it to make a difference regarding the sound, but I am contemplating TW-25 grease for the bolt carrier and rails simply as better protection from wear.

Can I get a "hell yeah!" from anyone out there regarding grease? Anyone come up with a particularly good reason not to?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Grease is a good idea on the carrier/rail contact area . It will prolong wear. But how the system is designed (as explained to me before) wear on the rails is not detrimental to function and performance. I agree I don't like the grit sound of the contact points when using it. Oh yeah
Hell yeah grease!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Grease is a good idea on the carrier/rail contact area . It will prolong wear. But how the system is designed (as explained to me before) wear on the rails is not detrimental to function and performance. I agree I don't like the grit sound of the contact points when using it. Oh yeah
Hell yeah grease!
TW-25 ....or WEAPON SHIELD GREASE. You could not go wrong with either of those.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The problem with greasing the SCAR rails is that cleaning out the old grease is very difficult unless you pull the barrel.

I've been using thin, creepy oil -Aeroshell Fluid 18- on th bolt carrier and rails. Before shooting I apply 4 drops from the outside thru the slot and holes up front. The oil creeps on the the rails and protects them.

For cleaning the inside of the receiver/rails I've been using a HK receiver brush that I got here: E&L Manufacturing e.Store - Cleaning Brushes

The square brush fits the inside of the receiver above the barrel like it was made for it. The rod is the perfect length to reach down inside the receiver too.

H

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
use SLIP 2000 EWL 30 weight and you will have none of the above cleaning problems or wear. Its the only stuff on the market worth having. Research it for yourself

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I do not believe in a break-in period.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with people running their firearms through what they call a break-in period.

I ran a 16 and 17 through my own personal torture test straight out of the box.

Frozen, 100 degree heat, mud, sand, water, 1500 rounds ....

Neither one has ever failed me.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
No break in period for the chrome lined barrel.

Lube is needed in certain locations for reducing wear.

·
Registered
280 Posts

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with people running their firearms through what they call a break-in period.

I don't suppose you filmed any of this? I love watching torture tests!:shock:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

*chuckle*

My attempt to be clever with words doesn't bear-up well to a first reading I guess. I too don't particularly fret over breaking-in a firearm. It's ME who is getting broken-in with my new, unfamiliar SCAR. What a joy to shoot! Of your torture test criteria, so far the only one to come into play for me & my SCAR is 100 degree heat. I broke a sweat - the rifle did not!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hmm, odd. Both my 16S and 17S were very smooth from the first round to now, with no scraping or grinding on the inner rails. That said, a bit of lubrication never hurts.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
As smooth as the action is on the SCAR, the sound of the bolt carrier against the aluminum rails just grates on me. The combination of materials just doesn't inspire visions in my head for long-term durability.
I thought the rails in the receiver were steel? And replaceable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, odd. Both my 16S and 17S were very smooth from the first round to now, with no scraping or grinding on the inner rails. That said, a bit of lubrication never hurts.
To be sure, the action on my 16S is very smooth. It's just the noise of the nice heavy bolt carrier sliding along the aluminum rails that sounds so "hollow" or - I don't know - "lightweight" to me compared to the action of rifles I've more experience with. This 21st century rifle will just take a little bit of getting used to in my case. ;) Darn & heck!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't suppose you filmed any of this? I love watching torture tests!:shock:
I used to post photos and vids when I could remove the exif info. Now with the imbedded IP info being tracked by
forums I have stopped posting stuff that thieves can track you with. The AR forum is full of pros that prey on the
unsuspecting.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I used to post photos and vids when I could remove the exif info. Now with the imbedded IP info being tracked by
forums I have stopped posting stuff that thieves can track you with. The AR forum is full of pros that prey on the
unsuspecting.

Son of a...

Reactions: Green Beret

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
unsuspecting.
Intriguing. Prey on the unsuspecting how?

·
Registered
397 Posts
To be sure, the action on my 16S is very smooth. It's just the noise of the nice heavy bolt carrier sliding along the aluminum rails that sounds so "hollow" or - I don't know - "lightweight" to me compared to the action of rifles I've more experience with. This 21st century rifle will just take a little bit of getting used to in my case. ;) Darn & heck!
If you want your rifle barrel and bolt parts to last longer do not shoot steel case ammo. Much of the steel case ammo uses a steel copper projectile that is harder than a standard copper jacketed lead bullet and will cut you barrel life in half or worse. brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The SCAR is well designed and much better than an AR at reducing wear. Realize than an AR has an extremely hot Bolt and Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) reciprocating inside an aluminum upper and they last many many thousands of rounds. The SCARs design is much better and runs cooler. I think I read that the SCAR's system is rated for a 90,000 round life. Of course you may have to replace some parts during that time, but I believe that was the rating. This compared to a HK MR556 (a piston rifle as well) with a rated service life of 35,000+. The SCAR is a very robust design.

I believe the SCAR barrel is rated for 30,000 rounds, but not with steel cased ammo. I think I would replace my barrel when it gets shot out and not wait for a specific round count. I'm guessing this is at something less than 30k. More like 10.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want your rifle barrel and bolt parts to last longer do not shoot steel case ammo. Much of the steel case ammo uses a steel copper projectile that is harder than a standard copper jacketed lead bullet and will cut you barrel life in half or worse. brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The SCAR is well designed and much better than an AR at reducing wear. Realize than an AR has an extremely hot Bolt and Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) reciprocating inside an aluminum upper and they last many many thousands of rounds. The SCARs design is much better and runs cooler. I think I read that the SCAR's system is rated for a 90,000 round life. Of course you may have to replace some parts during that time, but I believe that was the rating. This compared to a HK MR556 (a piston rifle as well) with a rated service life of 35,000+. The SCAR is a very robust design.

I believe the SCAR barrel is rated for 30,000 rounds, but not with steel cased ammo. I think I would replace my barrel when it gets shot out and not wait for a specific round count. I'm guessing this is at something less than 30k. More like 10.
That is all good information to know, and not exactly available from the owner's manual - thanks! Part of my motivation for splurging on a SCAR was to end up with a rifle I can shoot a lot, affordably. Its necessarily going to end up eating a lot of steel cased ammo, but I can't say I wasn't warned. I did feed it a nice fat dose of proper 5.56 brass cased stuff today (for the first time) hoping to see noticeably better groups. The afternoon's session started out encouragingly, but it seemed I chased scope turret settings and points of impact all over the paper by the end of it. I'd get it zeroed, lock the set screws, and then be off 4 - 6 MOA with subsequent groups. It wasn't until I was throwing in the towel for the day in frustration I noticed the scope had shifted as far back in its mount from recoil as the rings would allow. Doh! I'm an iron sight kind of guy and this is my first experience with optics other than the USG on my PS90. Son-in-law is on the way over with the proper torque wrench to save the day (yes, I tried to wing it - lesson learned). I appreciate the wisdom and input!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Barrels are a consumable item. Shoot the rifle enough and you're going to have to replace the barrel.

Hardchrome slows down the plasma erosion of the throat but it doesn't stop it.

H

1 - 20 of 21 Posts